SASS Wire Forum

Ithaca Shotguns

Waimea

I've been pondering this for some time now.

Hopefully you smart pards will have an answer.

SKB's are made by Ithaca.

They go for big bucks here in the Cowboy world.

Ithaca shotguns are also made by Ithaca and they are basically shunned by Cowboys.

Why?

Below is an example on GunBroker.

At this time it has been sitting there all week. Starting bid $250. Zero bids. Not Damascus barrels.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the pictured shotgun.

pix238463988.jpg

IMG_5078.thumb.jpeg.5cd02c0658ba5db781016173fade4fd7.jpegI inherited a fine old Ithaca Nitro Special that belonged to my grandfather. First 12G I ever shot. (I was about 8, my older brother told me to hold it about 1” off my shoulder so it wouldn’t kick so hard!) shotgun was tight, worked flawlessly. But, it had a huge lug between the barrels that fit into a slot in the reciever to lick it up. Very solid design. But….. slow to load!

Most of the 1910-1930 Ithaca double barrels were heavy designs.  They had several designs, also, and only a few were good guns, as proved over the 100 years between manufacturing and now.

The SKB made Ithaca models are very much lighter, use excellent steel, and have pretty modern fit and function.  They were discovered as being great fast-shooting cowboy guns back about 1980 or so.  And since double barrels had fallen out of favor, replaced by O/U and semi-auto guns for target shooting and hunting, cowboys could pick them up cheaply.   As the majority of the supply dried up, prices rose very quickly, to the point SKB Ithacas are no longer the "beautiful AND cheap" cowboy shotgun.  Just beautiful.

good luck, GJ

6 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Still being made

Not "still" but production returned after major downtime on new tools for their Model 37 pump shotgun and 1911 handgun.  And the new version of company does no importation of any SKB made doubles - but it would be magical if they could build them in the USA today, perhaps even fantastic (as in fantasy).

good luck, GJ

i shoot old stevens , id never shun old ithicas , both are the fun of this for me - im not the fast compeitor thats going to place 1-2-3 im the middle of the pack or below thats enjoying my old age in this venue , 

22 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not "still" but production returned after major downtime on new tools for their Model 37 pump shotgun and 1911 handgun.  And the new version of company does no importation of any SKB made doubles - but it would be magical if they could build them in the USA today, perhaps even fantastic (as in fantasy).

good luck, GJ

We agree they are" still" being made.

Best Wishes

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Miroku - Think Miroku, not SKB or Ithaca. That is where the quality is.

I was unaware that Miroku produced a side by side double barrel. Do you have a picture or model number I can look up?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

would that be the Charles Daly I occasionally see?

51 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I was unaware that Miroku produced a side by side double barrel. Do you have a picture or model number I can look up?

Regards

Gateway Kid

https://www.chuckhawks.com/charles_daly_500_shotguns.htm

56 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Regards

Gateway Kid

Hey GC. I've had Charles Daly, Model M and a Browning BSS all made by Miroku. 

I do stand corrected though. I should say think Japan, not Miroku, when referring to the Ithaca's. 

17 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Hey GC. I've had Charles Daly, Model M and a Browning BSS all made by Miroku. 

Many of the Charles Daly's are basically a BSS with two triggers.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:34 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I always wanted an Ithaca 37 in 16 ga.

I happen to have one. My first shotgun, given to me by my father when I was 12. Many a great day in the field hunting pheasant or rabbit. Basically a safe queen now, not for sale.

Archived