SASS Wire Forum

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh Gawd! Here we go again… :lol:

You mean “STILL!”

I get a kick out of the different ways politics and elections are viewed between Pennsylvania and West Virginia since I moved here to WV. I go into PA a lot. I have family there. 
PA is having a Primary and a general election this year on May 6, 2023, I believe. 
WV is having a general election on June 6th. The Primary is next year. 
I can literally count on 2 hands the number of “Vote for me” signs I have see here in WV this year. 
In PA it’s election sign pollution every where you look. There is a small town in Greene County PA called Greensboro. The main road to Greensboro is route 88. Along that road in that town there are political signs in nearly every yard. It’s kind of bizarre. It seems every town there is riddled with signs in every yard, but the example of Greensboro stands out because the straight layout of the road lets you see all the signs in the yards for a distance. 
I wish I had a photo of it to post. 

Two states with two different electoral cultures. I love West Virginia. 

I never could figure what purpose signs made. My having a sign in my yard is certainly not going to change anyone’s mind! “ Oh look he has a sign for so and so I think I’ll change my vote! Yea right! Eye pollution!

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I never could figure what purpose signs made.

Name recognition. Too many people don't know anything about the candidates (too many don't know anything, period), but feel that they need to cast a vote for every office and every measure.  They get their ballot, step into the voting booth, vote the top couple of spots, usually federal or governor, then get into state, county, and local offices, some of which they have never heard.  So they look for a name that looks familiar.

A great example of this was back in the '90s a guy running for state Senate.  A Democrat, so in Sonoma County it was pretty much a given that he would get around 60% of the vote.  His opponent ran a radio ad, a catchy little hit piece jingle , "Wes Chesbro, Wes Chesbro, blah blah blah blah blah blah,

Wes Chesbro, Wes Chesbro, blah blah blah blah blah. " Then a couple of lines using that name.  Then finally at the end "Vote for Whoever I Am because I'm not Wes."

In 30 seconds Wes was mentioned I think 11 times and the guy who ran the ad once.   Wes didn't get 60some percent.  He got over 80%, might have been over 90%.  The moron running against Wes deserved to lose if he was stupid enough to run that ad.  The first time I heard it I was gobsmacked.   All that free advertising for Wes.  I can still hear it in my head, exactly as I wrote it, just Wes Chesbro and the blah blah blah.

Name recognition matters.

A lot.

20 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Name recognition. Too many people don't know anything about the candidates (too many don't know anything, period), but feel that they need to cast a vote for every office and every measure.  They get their ballot, step into the voting booth, vote the top couple of spots, usually federal or governor, then get into state, county, and local offices, some of which they have never heard.  So they look for a name that looks familiar.

A great example of this was back in the '90s a guy running for state Senate.  A Democrat, so in Sonoma County it was pretty much a given that he would get around 60% of the vote.  His opponent ran a radio ad, a catchy little hit piece jingle , "Wes Chesbro, Wes Chesbro, blah blah blah blah blah blah,

Wes Chesbro, Wes Chesbro, blah blah blah blah blah. " Then a couple of lines using that name.  Then finally at the end "Vote for Whoever I Am because I'm not Wes."

In 30 seconds Wes was mentioned I think 11 times and the guy who ran the ad once.   Wes didn't get 60some percent.  He got over 80%, might have been over 90%.  The moron running against Wes deserved to lose if he was stupid enough to run that ad.  The first time I heard it I was gobsmacked.   All that free advertising for Wes.  I can still hear it in my head, exactly as I wrote it, just Wes Chesbro and the blah blah blah.

Name recognition matters.

A lot.

I don’t think yards signs make much difference, tv and radio commercials are a completely different thing!

I’ve even been swayed a couple times by good commercials that point out things I didn’t know about a certain candidate. 

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t think yards signs make much difference, tv and radio commercials are a completely different thing!

I’ve even been swayed a couple times by good commercials that point out things I didn’t know about a certain candidate. 

Repetition.  You see 50 signs driving to work, the same driving home five days a week.  Plus more as you run errands and such.  If nothing else, even if you don't consciously read them each time the pattern registers.  Television and radio you catch 3 or 6 times a day, and often for television get more annoyed at them than anything.

Sort of like constant drops of water wearing away a stone, you might not notice at first, or for quite a while, whereas the deluge you try to block out.

11 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Repetition.  You see 50 signs driving to work, the same driving home five days a week.  Plus more as you run errands and such.  If nothing else, even if you don't consciously read them each time the pattern registers.  Television and radio you catch 3 or 6 times a day, and often for television get more annoyed at them than anything.

Sort of like constant drops of water wearing away a stone, you might not notice at first, or for quite a while, whereas the deluge you try to block out.

Sorry but I disagree, signs have never had any effect on who I vote for! I ignore them and I think alot of people do as well. Like I said they’re eye pollution! 

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sorry but I disagree, signs have never had any effect on who I vote for! I ignore them and I think alot of people do as well. Like I said they’re eye pollution! 

I suspect that you are, like most of us here, are an informed voter.  You read, you dig into the records of candidates, you at least skim the text of the various measures on the ballot.  I'd bet that the radio and television ads don't do much to sway you, except maybe to think, "What a load of garbage!  How stupid do they think we are?"  To which the answer must be "The average voter is pretty danged stupid!" Just look at advertising in general.  

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I suspect that you are, like most of us here, are an informed voter.  You read, you dig into the records of candidates, you at least skim the text of the various measures on the ballot.  I'd bet that the radio and television ads don't do much to sway you, except maybe to think, "What a load of garbage!  How stupid do they think we are?"  To which the answer must be "The average voter is pretty danged stupid!" Just look at advertising in general.  

I try to be as informed as I can. There’s been a couple times when a commercial gave me some info about a candidate that I wasn’t aware of. I would immediately fact check it and to my surprise the ad was right!  You’re right though, most of it is garbage. The primaries seem to be the nastiest. 
One sure thing about signs is they don’t take em down quick enough after the election !! That really aggravates me!

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

One sure thing about signs is they don’t take em down quick enough after the election !!

There we are in complete agreement.

One year the winner of one of the local races had a bunch of THANK YOU stickers ready and went out, or sent campaign staff out, and plastered them on almost all of the signs, then a week later took them all down.  

In Pinellas County (FL), county workers will drive around on the weekends and steal any and all Garage/Yard Sale signs paid for by individuals...but won't touch election signs left up weeks after elections.

The election ads haven't started here...yet...they will though.:angry:

I vote in every election but rarely like the choices and thoroughly detest the election time fights and drama.

I won't put candidate, or the like, signs in my yard. Too many people's houses, cars and property have been vandalized by people that hate whomever/whatever is on the sign. 

Archived