SASS Wire Forum

Coronation

Subdeacon Joe

30 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

At about that moment in the ceremony, my wife said, "I wonder what he's thinking now?". I said, "He's an old guy, probably just wants to go pee."

She sighed and shook her head.

I was thinking that he just wanted it to be over so he could put on more comfortable clothes.

The news is saying that Harry split right after the coronation and skipped lunch with the family! 

Did he have orders from Meghan to get his butt home?!:P

26 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We will never know, with them being so private and all...

36 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Just the pants, the part with the full wallet pocket.

The New Zealand folks I watched all this with loved it and were glued to the tv. 

I made a few friends while the gold carriage was taking the couple past the crowds, after quoting the Holy Grail scene:  "How do you know he's the king?" "He's the only one who doesn't have shit on him."

And I really wanted the massed bands to start playing "Ride of the Valkyries" when the helicopter flyover happened... :D

18 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The slouch hat stood out to me as it always does.

Capture.JPG.29cf4c0b950b32acaba528de0ba1ac75.JPG

Fun fact, the New Zealand Forces hat (seen in bottom left with red band) is nicknamed "Lemon Squeezer".

26 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

made a few friends while the gold carriage was taking the couple past the crowds, after quoting the Holy Grail scene:  "How do you know he's the king?" "He's the only one who doesn't have shit on him."

My wife and I, when MP Penny Mordaunt was handing over the Sword of Offering, both thought of that scene, the part where Arthur, King of the Britons, is saying, The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the finest samite...

On 5/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

First, please spare us the diatribes and screeds about the British monarchy.  It's part of our history, deal with it.  

Fourth, all those poor schmucks - the Heralds, Guardsmen, Grooms, etc. who had to stand stock still in all that regalia for two or three hours.

Fifth, Charles was looking very old and very tired.

I have stood sentry at Government House as a Guardsman (GGFG) wearing the Busby, Red tunic and Black pants, carrying an FN FAL. It does get a little hot under that in summer. Not too bad in early morning for the Changing of the Guard, when you can move a bit.

I think his Majesty, may have been recalling his Mother's Coronation, when he was a child.

Much better than watching a bunch of purple haired, tatooed, pierced nose, college student, ANTIFA dumbasses protesting and rioting and burning down property of law abiding, hard working American citizens.  Oh, and don't forget the non-working, non-taxpaying BLM welfare losers.  

I was at the Alabama State match.  My wife was glued to the ceremony on TV.  She loves that stuff.  Those Brits love their ceremony and traditions.   

I took the dog for a walk and then got ready to shoot.   I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the 2nd Amendment than a King.

If I was in Charles position, I just couldn't do the pomp and circumstance. Seeing a grown man sitting on a throne with a jeweled saber and gold gown in 2023 is something I can't wrap my head around. But then, I could never have a butler/batman/man servant either. I read years ago he has someone iron his shoelaces and is very persnickety about having the right toilet paper when he travels. It's kinda pathetic.

9 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If I was in Charles position, I just couldn't do the pomp and circumstance. Seeing a grown man sitting on a throne with a jeweled saber and gold gown in 2023 is something I can't wrap my head around. But then, I could never have a butler/batman/man servant either. I read years ago he has someone iron his shoelaces and is very persnickety about having the right toilet paper when he travels. It's kinda pathetic.

:rolleyes: No fan of Charles III, but certainly nothing you will ever have to suffer. If you aren't a student of history and have not visited the UK, you are clueless.  Walking on same stones down the centuries is both evocative and humbling.  Last I was there, Nell Gwinn's house, a famous actress, and Charles II's mistress still stood,  Do a date check, and a cred check.

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

:rolleyes: No fan of Charles III, but certainly nothing you will ever have to suffer. If you aren't a student of history and have not visited the UK, you are clueless.  Walking on same stones down the centuries is both evocative and humbling.  Last I was there, Nell Gwinn's house, a famous actress, and Charles II's mistress still stood,  Do a date check, and a cred check.

Well thank you for the snobbish response. :P

Perhaps I am clueless, but I am a student of history and have walked on the stones and seen the buildings that were around at the time of our country’s founders. I don’t give rat’s behind about where some king’s mistress and celebrity of her time lived, any more than I care about Kennedy’s famous mistresses. 

i cant disagree with any of the five points made , im a scotsman so i seldom think beyond that version of the commonwealth , i did collect their military rifles and handguns so ill add that your fifth point is well taken he may not last as long as edward in and around 1924 , but we shall see , the queen made a career of it 

seems a lot of countries lately are entertaining elderly - unqualified leaders - those that are no longer in complete control of their faculties , at least the king of british empire has no real power - not so in some other cases , 

our bafoon is being manipulated behind the scenes - we all know it , we just cant prove who is doing it , we do know the agenda and the outcome if they can circumvent our constitution .....that document was intended to protect us , i hope we dont have to protect it again 

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I took the dog for a walk and then got ready to shoot.   I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the 2nd Amendment than a King.

On the other hand, it's useful to remember that we took our right to bear arms directly from the English Bill of Rights, to which the successors to James II, the Hanoverians,  subscribed as a condition of their succession. 

Unfortunately, the British parliament later abandoned it; hardly the fault of this king!

All longstanding institutions that underlie free nations are worthy of respect. To me, the fact that the British monarchy is a premodern institution which symbolizes the nation independent of contemporary notions is thus worthy of respect, though it is not our way. Our own Constitution in many ways is just such an institution. To the dismay of many who would abandon it today, in the name of "modernity".

I didn’t watch any of the coronation but have to ask, was Prince Harry there?

Archived