SASS Wire Forum

What a Trainwreck!

Subdeacon Joe

Hmmm…The maiden voyage of the SS Mudpuppy. A slurry water submersible. The test was a failure. 

Looks to me like a 2-10-4 “Texas” locomotive.  It’s lying on its left side. That is, the front points to the the right in the photo, with the cab on the left, crushed under rubble. The lead drive wheel is obscured, but the piston assembly is visible just ahead. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-10-4

image.png.5eb783c7d23fab20b2809f59fd5e33f4.png

According to the book 3 Barrels of Steam, it was a 2-10-2 operated by ATFS. It was washed off the rails and buried in a creek by a torrential flash flood that killed 37 people. In addition to the ATSF train it also washed a Southern Pacific train off the tracks.

You can read a first hand account of the flood here.

The Flood of 1932 Pt. I

The flood of 1932 (part 2)

FYI the distance between Keene and Arvin is about 24 miles following the terrain.

SP #5036 was a SP-2 class 4-10-2. This class was unique in that it was a 3 cylinder design.

ATSF #3834 was Baldwin 2-10-2

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Yup, the Texas locomotives were made by Baldwin and ATSF used them. 

The Texas Locomotives were a 2-10-4 configuration.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

According to the book 3 Barrels of Steam, it was a 2-10-2 operated by ATFS. It was washed off the rails and buried in a creek by a torrential flash flood that killed 37 people. In addition to the ATSF train it also washed a Southern Pacific train off the tracks.

The Flood of 1932 Pt. I

FYI the distance between Keene and Arvin is about 24 miles following the terrain.

SP #5036 was a SP-2 class 4-10-2. This class was unique in that it was a 3 cylinder design.

Upon closer inspection, you could be right. The top of the boiler profile appears closer to a 4-10-2. :blush:

58 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Upon closer inspection, you could be right. The top of the boiler profile appears closer to a 4-10-2. :blush:

The rear truck appears larger than normal because is is also steam powered. Know as Booster Trucks, the trailing truck of some steam locomotives were powered by a 2 cylinder steam engine. It was an attempt to increase the tractive effort of large locomotives by taking advantage of the weight the firebox placed on the rear truck.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The Flood of 1932 Pt. I

To Quote Oracle Jones "Ah!  Now I see it."

Thanks.

maybe we weren't meant to fly , maybe we weren't meant to have railroads in California , just maybe california was not meant to be a state - in the US - maybe USSR 

Archived