SASS Wire Forum

Italian clones hard to find

One Gun Jimmy

I'm new, so maybe this is an age old problem.

But has it been noticed that certain colt clones are impossible to find?

Mainly been looking for Pietta DLX cartleman Stainless Steel .

I cannot find them ANYWHERE.

And EMFs website says "not avalible is 2022" for over half there line up.

Just curius if it seems to be a new problem, or do I need to find a dealer and special order them?

Stuff has been in short supply since the beginning of the Pandemic.  As far as EMF, they don't necessarily update their web site regularly so it is best to give them a call.

There are lots of Italian guns coming in, though many go to fill backorders, and finding any specific model can still be a problem.  I second Coffinmaker's advice to call EMF.  They may also have a backorder list that you can get on so that you will get a call whenever they do become available.  

I'm a little surprised that Coffinmaker didn't comment on your use of the word "clone" since he hates that.  Must be getting soft in his sunset years. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

There are lots of Italian guns coming in, though many go to fill backorders, and finding any specific model can still be a problem.  I second Coffinmaker's advice to call EMF.  They may also have a backorder list that you can get on so that you will get a call whenever they do become available.  

I'm a little surprised that Coffinmaker didn't comment on your use of the word "clone" since he hates that.  Must be getting soft in his sunset years. :lol:

Being a purist about clones is a bit much for me lol.

Tho I do agree It is not an accurate word .

How about:

Italian kinda-Colts?

Old west frog guns?

Single action not army's?

Poor man's peacemakers?

20 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Being a purist about clones is a bit much for me lol.

Tho I do agree It is not an accurate word .

How about:

Italian kinda-Colts?

Old west frog guns?

Single action not army's?

Poor man's peacemakers?

One of the definitions in Merriam-Webster is:

"one that appears to be a copy of an original form"

so actually, clone is fine.  But I usually say "reproduction"

Powder and primers are the truth.  Bud Light was sarcasm.  Bottom line is that many things we use to take for granted are in short supply and if available the price has gone up way more that the 8% the goverment is telling us is the inflation rate.  Everything I use or buy has gone up more like 20 - 30%.

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Powder and primers are the truth.  Bud Light was sarcasm.  Bottom line is that many things we use to take for granted are in short supply and if available the price has gone up way more that the 8% the goverment is telling us is the inflation rate.  Everything I use or buy has gone up more like 20 - 30%.

Your not lying one bit.

But these seem more than hard to find..more like nonexistent. 

I can get all kinds of guns...

Glock

Sig

HK

ammo maybe expensive or hard to find. 

But these guns seem to ge nowhere, yes I understand the demand is lower so the  numbers are far lower but it seems crazy.

Taylors, EMF, Cimmaron are importers and they don't have them, so stores seem to have no chance.

Taylors has what seems like a guess as to when they may be avalible.

Just seems like a unique problem...but maybe not.

Just wondering if this is par for the coarse and to keep hunting or if I should move to the used market , not that I've been able to find very many on the used side either.

With the internet many gun stores with on-line sales list the guns they have "available."  What they are really showing is what guns their distributors have in stock.  You can look at Gun Genie to see what Davidson's has in stock.  There are a couple of local gun shops that I check their inventories frequently on-line.  I also check the notify me when available box.  In the past six months I have picked up several cowboy six guns from the different importers on the local gun shop websites.

For example go here and type in Pietta.  A whole bunch of in-stock guns come up.  You can do the same with Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, etc.  You have to type carefully with no mis-spelled words as the search function is literal.

https://tombstonetactical.com

For Piettas, also try Cimarron and Taylors.  Believe both handle them, as well as EMF.   Be cognizant of what FEATURES you think you want out of the "model name" that EMF slapped on the gun.   Other Pietta importers probably call it something different.

good luck, GJ

You could always check with Rye Miles. He is a genuine Italian stallion clone but I don't think he comes in stainless.:P:D:P

I much prefer "Replicant."

Then we have the "other" complication.  The Italian gunmakers manufacture in "Runs."   They "run" a number of a specific model, package it up and ship to all the importers who ordered that model until they run out.  They may not do another "run" of that specific model for 18 months.  Another  problem is Market Viability.  The SASS/CAS market is no where near the demand of 10 - 15+ years ago.  The demand is steady shrinking and the manufacturers have reacted by making LESS product.  Supply and Demand in operation.  Good Luck.

PS:  "THEY" are NOT "Clones."

PSS:  There is no such thing as 45 Long Colt.  It's 45 Colt. 

7 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

What Colorado Coffinmaker said is all the more reason to get what you can now if you can find it. Of course we have been doing that with components  for years now. 

Rev. Chase

Yea I'm definitely on a thought process of if I find them I'm going to hit the buy now button.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:29 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Primers, powder and Bud Light are also hard to find.  So what is the point?

I spoke with a media rep at Uberti-USA about 18 months ago. The rep said their Italian factories are very family oriented and have generations of families working there. COVID killed many of their senior workers, the workers that had the most advanced skill sets. The loss was devastating emotionally and in capacity. It is not something a plant can quickly overcome. When I contact the US importers trying to find a model, I find many items are not available because they are still working on the backlog. I asked for one gun and a year later they called me and said it was finally in. I asked for another gun, the gun that generated the conversation with Uberti USA, and they still don't have it in stock. Shutting down factories for a year and the loss of skilled workers is going to take a long time to overcome.

@Cholla a sad, sad bit of information. Thank you for passing this along.

When Uberti closed up at the beginning of the pandemic, they had a shipment that was ready to ship to Cimarron.  So when they finally came back, it shipped right away.  And ever since then they have been shipping and Cimarron has had great sales throughout the pandemic.  But they are mostly going to fill backorders.  I've said it before, if you can't find something, put it on backorder.  There will probably be others ahead of you, but you get a chance when it comes your turn and you are not obligated.  I expect Taylors, EMF, and Dixie have backorder lists as well.  But continue to check the distributors like Buds, Buffalo Arms, Midway, etc. because a lot of the backorders go to them and you might find one sooner that way.  Just because you can't find something or have a long wait doesn't mean the Italians aren't making guns.  Certain guns like short stroke pistols and 18" .357 '73's are primarily for Cowboy Action Shooters, but the general public buys the heck out of old west guns.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:29 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Primers, powder and Bud Light are also hard to find.  So what is the point?

Bud Light should be easy to find...Not many people drinking right now...

Texas Lizard

As for EMF...I just go down the street and around the corner...The store is 10 minutes from my house...15 on a slow day...

3 minutes ago, Jimmy6 said:

I just picked up a pair of Evil Roys, no shortage it appears. I have been able to find everything I was looking for.

Well find me a new pair of DLX Stainless Piettias with 4 3/4 barrels in .357.

Give you $50 finders fee.

Might need to settle for a pair of Ruger Vaqueros if wanting new, now and stainless steel.  Just an idea.

The 4.62” and 5.5” stainless Vaqueros aren’t exactly available either.  They’re trickling out a little but not much better than the Italian guns.   The past couple of years has been tough for a new shooter getting geared up. 

14 hours ago, Pb Mark said:

Might need to settle for a pair of Ruger Vaqueros if wanting new, now and stainless steel.  Just an idea.

Well I'm lucky that I have a pair of Ubertis that will work just fine so there is no REAL rush. Just my eagerness....but as many know, shiny guns go faster hahaha.

I just like the look of the Pietta/Uberti guns better than Vaqueros and with all the dang money I spent on custom holsters I ain't trying to change them or make then fit "fine" lol.

1 hour ago, Shawnee Hills said:

The 4.62” and 5.5” stainless Vaqueros aren’t exactly available either.  They’re trickling out a little but not much better than the Italian guns.   The past couple of years has been tough for a new shooter getting geared up. 

Not everywhere, but I could have a set of those if I wanted to from gunbroker, even a SASS set if I wanna for out the $$$$.

It has entered my mind more than once.

The Italian guns just seem nowhere, I bid on a single Cimmaron/Pietta stainless  on gunbroker just to see what happens but it is quickly getting more than I wanna pay, especially without having a garenteed match.

Don't let desperation make you take chances. Scammers will come out of the woodwork with promises of guns they don't really have. A scammer that was on this forum two years ago appeared on the Coltfourm last week. Other members quickly sniffed out his fake profile and he was banned.

Well, I messed around on GB and accidently got a smoking deal on a NIB Cimarron Frontier in Stainless.

So I guess I'll be on the prowl for a match to it.

I talked to Pietta the other day and they said the stainless models would be back once they had more frames. Not sure if they do not make them but seems it's a supply to the supplier chain issue.

Closest thing local is a NIB Cimmaron new frontier nickel plated factory engraved 4.75" 357 for $659 credit card price.   At least found one that is extra shiny... 

Maybe a Cimmaron master dealer can find you a matching stainless one?  

6 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

Closest thing local is a NIB Cimmaron new frontier nickel plated factory engraved 4.75" 357 for $659 credit card price.   At least found one that is extra shiny... 

Maybe a Cimmaron master dealer can find you a matching stainless one?  

Yea we are gonna try but I have time. 

Couldn't pass up a stainless one for $500 NIB

Never thought my bid would actually win.

57 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Yea we are gonna try but I have time. 

Couldn't pass up a stainless one for $500 NIB

Never thought my bid would actually win.

Wow, that was a smokin' deal!  Stainless guns run quite a bit more than blued, and those retail for around $900! 

23 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wow, that was a smokin' deal!  Stainless guns run quite a bit more than blued, and those retail for around $900! 

Exactly,  it was 400 when I bid it up  and then I forgot about it because I never saw an outbid notice, then last night I got a notification that I won.

I figured it go for 750-850 but people must have been sleeping on it.

There are times I have found what I am looking for here as well:  https://www.cdnnsports.com/

Archived