SASS Wire Forum

The Mare's Leg

Sedalia Dave

The one thing I hated about that series was the .45-70 rounds on his belt. Totally ridiculous!! No one paid any attention back then though. 

Large "Leeever"?

The mare's legs always looked clumsy, overly huge, and never carried any more cartridges than a similarly chambered sixgun.  I have never been enamored of them, but during that period of TVism, lots of action heros carried "novelty" guns.

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Large "Leeever"?

The mare's legs always looked clumsy, overly huge, and never carried any more cartridges than a similarly chambered sixgun.  I have never been enamored of them, but during that period of TVism, lots of action heros carried "novelty" guns.

It spits lead with a little more velocity, longer barrel without a cylinder gap.  It is clumsy and uncomfortable with BuffaloBore.

It's cause you can't do a sawed off double legally like.

Added rifle power in a short frame just like any other SBR

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

All I know is Josh Randal and Tonto must have been masochists. Cause they got the crap beat out of them in almost every episode. 

Lone Ranger and Tonto are riding along in a canyon when they're suddenly surrounded by 100 hostile Indians. Lone Ranger says to Tonto, "What should we do Kemosabe?"

Tonto says, "What do you mean Kemosabe.??...... WHITE MAN!!!!!

I just bought one to make it into an SBR with full rifle stock - it should be a very fun little rifle... 

Guy did that a couple years ago. Posted pictures.

I told him that not only was it outlawed for the game, but it was quite illegal. He said he was in England. I told him, well, that it might be legal in England, but it was still outlawed for the game.

He had bought a Rossi ranch hand and put a Winchester 92 carbine stock on it. Neat looking little gun. If you could get the Rossi and the stock cheap enough, might be worth paying the $200 tax to SBR it. But not if you had to pay full retail. Wowzer.

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I told him that not only was it outlawed for the game, but it was quite illegal. He said he was in England. I told him, well, that it might be legal in England, but it was still outlawed for the game.

He had bought a Rossi ranch hand and put a Winchester 92 carbine stock on it. Neat looking little gun. If you could get the Rossi and the stock cheap enough, might be worth paying the $200 tax to SBR it. But not if you had to pay full retail. Wowzer.

it is illegal for the SASS game but totally legal with appropriate process and payment to ATF.  I own three SBRs already - all legal and registered

I'm aware of that. Perfectly legal if you pay your tax, wait for your paperwork to come back with your tax stamp on it.

But what he was saying was he had just bought the Rossi and put the stock on it, and didn't it look cool.

"Just bought it" and "isn't it cool" definitely does not leave time for doing the paperwork. So if - IF (big if) - he was in the states and he just bought it and he put that stock on it, it was illegal.

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm aware of that. Perfectly legal if you pay your tax, wait for your paperwork to come back with your tax stamp on it.

But what he was saying was he had just bought the Rossi and put the stock on it, and didn't it look cool.

"Just bought it" and "isn't it cool" definitely does not leave time for doing the paperwork. So if - IF (big if) - he was in the states and he just bought it and he put that stock on it, it was illegal.

:)I didn't say I put the stock on it.  I said I bought it to put a stock on it....eventually.  E-Form1 takes about 2 months now...not sure what the other guy did :)

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

A few Canadians have posted pictures too.  They didn't need special paperwork and said it makes an excellent bush gun.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:44 AM, Texas Joker said:

Added rifle power in a short frame just like any other SBR

Bull!

Five rounds and one in the chamber makes it a six shooter, just like most .44-.45 single action revolvers.  More difficult to load and , even in the best hands, could not match a sixgun for speed of clearing the holster nor getting off all the shots, and then reloading it quickly.  I also can't imagine not jerking the gun off target while levering the action.  

As for velocity, I sincerely doubt it would make much difference at combat ranges.

And then there's the significant heavy, clumsy, uncomfortable carry factor, and the virtual impossibility to be able carry it even marginally concealed.

Final point: if I were given one for free I wouldn't keep it, but I'd start looking for a sucker to sell it to.

The English guy said that, even though it is classified as a pistol here, in England it is classified as a lever action rifle. Now, he said that he could not buy a standard 20 inch saddle ring carbine, and then cut it down to 12 inches. That was illegal. But he could buy that particular lever action rifle that came with a 12 inch barrel, and put the shoulder stock on it. Perfectly fine.

Boy I'm glad gun laws make sense. :rolleyes:

But in Canada, since they seem to be doing their damnedest to make pistols illegal, is the ranch hand classified as a pistol or a rifle?

On 5/5/2023 at 5:44 AM, Texas Joker said:

Damn. I guess I'm in trouble.

Mississippipistol.jpg.f84eb07a34c344eeddfd2d96edd1ef3c.jpg

Yea yea SBR and tax stamp AOW whatever. Permission and permit from .gov. 

As far as far as power factor @Forty Rod a rifle cartridge has more power than a pistol cartridge out of the same barrel. Just cause they made pistol caliber carbines doesn't take away the power.

Originally, and often currently, .44-40 rifles, carbines, and handguns all use the same cartridge.  That was the appeal, to have one kind of ammo for both guns, so your argument simply doesn't hold water.

I don't know about you youngsters, but when I'm shooting cowboy guns I simply don't live in either this century, nor more than of the last three quarters of the last one.

44 40 is a rifle cartridge you can shoot from a pistol. Kinda like an AR pistol. One handed rifle with a shorter barrel.

Screenshot_20230509_210708_Brave.thumb.jpg.e2ed35015cfd64aadb95f7d3c53386bc.jpg

All this time, I thought of the caliber as a pistol one.   Thanks, Trigger Mike.

The hint might’ve been the cartridge’s original name, “.44 Winchester Central Fire.”

On 5/9/2023 at 11:02 PM, WOLFY said:

All this time, I thought of the caliber as a pistol one.   Thanks, Trigger Mike.

The hint might’ve been the cartridge’s original name, “.44 Winchester Central Fire.”

No matter what it's called the .45 Colt is, was, and always will be superior round...and I don't need it in a rifle or carbine because I carry ammo for each in a different place.

I agree .45 with more case room for BP.

I have arossi 92 in .45 colt. And a couple other pistols

I don’t have any magnum ammo to verify capacity at the moment, but my RH

Rossi holds 7x 240grn 44 spl in it’s tube.  

4AEA6E94-1C3A-4E9F-BE6B-F138E01007E2.thumb.jpeg.f8e83b75de1f8fdb78ac8693c2e7bc08.jpeg

Wouldn’t the more economic solution be to buy a shorty w the large loop, tax stamp it and cut it down?

Ranch Hands are going for close to $1K these days.

Well that's the reason.

If you were to find a first year 98 Mauser, which is a hell for strong bolt action rifle chambered in good powerful cartridges, since it is made prior to 1899 it is not a gun. And you could buy it without filling out any paperwork and you could buy it without having to visit an FFL and if you wish to go across state lines to buy it and bring it home that's perfectly legal because it is not a gun. You can buy it through the mail and it can be mailed to your house.

This 1898 rifle with cost more than an identical rifle made in 1901. Why? Because the 1898 gun comes with no paperwork. The 1901 gun has ffls and 4473 and all the other happy horse caca that the government requires.

If I buy a used Rossi 92, for $500, and spend $200 to legally cut it, and maybe another hundred for somebody to actually do the work, I've got $800 in this gun and the government knows all about it.

But if I spend $1,000 on a ranch hand the government - while it does theoretically know I bought a gun because of the 4473 - it doesn't know I've got this short barrel rifle. Because it's not a short barrel rifle. It's a pistol. And you pay the extra $200 for the privilege of it being a pistol and you don't have to paper it.

1 hour ago, WOLFY said:

4AEA6E94-1C3A-4E9F-BE6B-F138E01007E2.thumb.jpeg.f8e83b75de1f8fdb78ac8693c2e7bc08.jpeg

Wouldn’t the more economic solution be to buy a shorty w the large loop, tax stamp it and cut it down?

That may be more economical now, if you can wait for the tax stamp.  The local gun shop used to sell the ranch hand for $450 and the R92 for $600 about 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, WOLFY said:

it probably would be cheaper, but there I would have to find someone to cut the barrel, cut and tap the mag tube, install the front sight, I suspect it would be close to at least $300 or so.  I can do the stock replacement myself.

Also, if I start with a pistol, and SBR it, I can always convert it back to pistol configuration at any time to sell it or to move from state to state.  if I start with the rifle and cut it down - it will remain SBR forever

Archived