SASS Wire Forum

LEE Lead Tester

Fallon Kid

Just some info. A stand I made for LEE Lead Tester. I made in about 20 min and I know I could not use the scope open handed. Just an idea if you want to use.

leadtester.jpg

Nice setup. I found this a few years ago and it is now my go to for testing lead alloy hardness.

Checking Lead Hardness With Drawing Pencils

Pencil Hardness         BHN

6B                                   4-5

5B                                    7-8

4B                                    9

3B                                  10

2B                                  11-12

B                                     13

HB                                  14-15                        

F                                     16-18

H                                    20-22

2H                                  26-28

Thanks Sedalia, that is some good info. I never considered that but makes sense. Kinda same applied principle as the Lee for testing. I’m an old retired engineer and I gotta have numbers. LOL But I do give myself a lot of leeway for cowboy bullets, If it melts I shoot it. Again Thank You. I am always open to new stuff. At one time I knew everything and then I got into reloading and shooting. Found out that folks that been doing this a while will teach ya a bit of humble.

6 minutes ago, Fallon Kid said:

Thanks Sedalia, that is some good info. I never considered that but makes sense. Kinda same applied principle as the Lee for testing. I’m an old retired engineer and I gotta have numbers. LOL But I do give myself a lot of leeway for cowboy bullets, If it melts I shoot it. Again Thank You. I am always open to new stuff. At one time I knew everything and then I got into reloading and shooting. Found out that folks that been doing this a while will teach ya a bit of humble.

I have a Saeco hardness tester but it will not test an ingot. have to have a piece of the right shape and size to use it. Don't remember where I first heard about using drafting pencils but It is now my go to method. Allows me to test an ingot as well as a bullet. When ever I buy non-certified lead I take my pencils to verify it is the correct hardness for what the seller claims the alloy is.

Another great tester for lead is sold by Lead Bullet Technologies. (LBT) I buy all my bullet lube from  Unfortunately Veral has been forced to close up shop due to a devastating fire.  Per his website he still has a few of his lead alloy testers available.

Archived