SASS Wire Forum

YouTube channel

Last August I posted about views starting to go crazy on my channel, @abilenecowboyshooter .  I updated it in September, and thought I'd give another update now since it is now one year since things "started happening".  Here is the thread from last year:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/337735-youtube-craziness/

One year ago today, just before views started taking off, the channel had 334 subscribers, and at the end of 2022 it was 126K   Then Mar-Lynn and Hoss went viral and January was as big as all of 2022.  Right now it is 645K subscribers and 386M views.  99% of the videos are still just people shooting stages.  USA, Brazil, and Russia are about equal in views, with India, Indonesia, Mexico, Thailand, Turkey next.  Oddly, Mar-Lynn's are mostly from India.  A large percentage of the comments continue deride us for how ridiculously close the targets are. 

Besides myself, there are 8 shooters in the "million views club" including Sheriff Robert Love, Dutch Van Horn, Texas Mac, Coyote Catcher (the only sub-20 second stage) and Outlaw McCloskey.  A D will hit 1M soon.  Skyhawk Hans is up to 83 Million views and for a while had the most seen cowboy action video on the internet, but Lever Action Kid slowly passed him up.  Then Mar-Lynn went to 43 million, and while hers was still rising in January, Hoss took off and by next week should be at 160,000,000 views. That is not a typo!  :o :)

Well, I wanted to recognize the 3 shooters with the most-seen videos since they comprise 75% of the total views on the channel, and I knew they would all be at the Texican Rangers' Comancheria Days last week, so I planned a surprise award presentation for the banquet, and Shooting Iron Miller graciously found a few minutes to squeeze me in (thank you La Sombra for shooting the video):

I found out about the sport on YouTube myself a few years ago. Hope it helps bring a new generation of people to the game. It's too much fun and the people are the best!!!

3 of the top ten from our tiny little club in South Texas!  I'm getting Hoss a hat stretcher for Christmas.

Great idea for the awards Abilene, it was a nice presentation at the annual!

Totes

Congrats Abilene!  I still remember how surprised I was when I got my 1st subscriber... and it wasn't even a family member!

Abiline,

it’s been a lot of fun! I’ve had total strangers stop me and ask if that was me in the cowboy video! My granddaughter, who is 8, has a YouTube channel. She is excited when she get 100 views. She is amazed I gave so many!  (I’ll have to admit she is a lot cuter than me!) 

thanks for the award, primers and especially for promoting our game! 

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

Abiline,

it’s been a lot of fun! I’ve had total strangers stop me and ask if that was me in the cowboy video! My granddaughter, who is 8, has a YouTube channel. She is excited when she get 100 views. She is amazed I gave so many!  (I’ll have to admit she is a lot cuter than me!) 

thanks for the award, primers and especially for promoting our game! 

You're a legitmate phenomenon!  I just saw a comment on one of Dutch Van Horn's videos that said "Do more Hoss"  :D

Tell your granddaughter to post some shorts and see what happens. :)  If Shooting Iron Miller hadn't turned the phone vertical when I asked her to video me on a Texicans stage last year, I might have never learned what a Short was! 

11 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

You're a legitmate phenomenon!  I just saw a comment on one of Dutch Van Horn's videos that said "Do more Hoss"  :D

I swear that I did not make that comment. B)

La Sombra

Archived