SASS Wire Forum

Supreme Court going after the feds for a change

Alpo

It appears they are trying to rein in federal government overreach.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/05/01/politics/supreme-court-chevron-deference-conservatives-power-of-agencies/index.html

Something in that story just blew my mind completely. The feds have decided that they would put an inspector on every fishing boat, to make sure that the fishermen abide by the laws.

Well, that almost sort of makes sense.

And they said the fishing boat company has to pay the salary of the inspector. The feds require him to be there, and the feds require you to pay him.

For some strange reason, the fishing boat companies don't like that idea. Imagine that.

The government as a whole seems bent in making our lives miserable at every turn. I think it’s about time they get their butts handed to them, and then some. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The government as a whole seems bent in making our lives miserable at every turn. I think it’s about time they get their butts handed to them, and then some. 

AND! The government should be made to reimburse those who have been burdened by their overreach!!

33 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

AND! The government should be made to reimburse those who have been burdened by their overreach!!

Absolutely! With interest and the same late penalties they enforce on everyone else. I also believe that any bureaucrats, managers, admin types, etc involved should be publicly named in every instance and settlement. 

If this decision goes the way I think it will, there are going to be a lot of politicians and senior bureaucrats who are going to be VERY unhappy with whatever mid to upper mid level bureaucrat who decided the fishermen needed to pay the salary of the federal employee assigned to oversee what the fishermen are doing.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sloppy Joe Biden is the chief instigator of all this horsehockey. Everything he and his minions do makes our lives miserable. He is the most evil man I've ever known and I have detested him for 50 years or so. I thought Clinton and Obama were bad but joe has them beat hands down.

23 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

You give slo Joe too much credit - I think he is just a sock puppet, it is the "handlers".  Cloward- Piven strategy.

Concur, but I don't know who the handlers are. I have my beliefs but I can't prove them. Biden makes an easy foil.

PF

12 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

Concur, but I don't know who the handlers are. I have my beliefs but I can't prove them. Biden makes an easy foil.

PF

one of them’s named Barry

I think it would be great if they get rid of Chevron deference. The bureaucracies have too much power. Besides banning the sale of new machine guns definitely one of the worst things to come out of the Ronbo era. I doubt it, but maybe getting rid of chevron would cause congress to actually start doing their job. 

I expect they will overturn the lower court ruling as there is no reason to take a case if they agree with the lower ruling.  This court has already been reigning in chevron deference with the epa ruling.  Hopefully this should help slow down using federal agencies to push policy instead of congress, although trump started that with the bump stock ban and then Biden made it worse.  

Archived