SASS Wire Forum

Gordon Lightfoot Has Left the Building

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-dead-1.6828991

Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot, whose evocative and poetic songs are etched into the musical landscape of Canada, has died at the age of 84, according to his longtime publicist Victoria Lord.

Born in Orillia, Ont., Lightfoot was hailed as Canada's folk troubadour for his soulful music and stirring lyrics. In songs such as The Canadian Railroad Trilogy and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, he explored the country's history, geography and culture.

"He is our poet laureate, he is our iconic singer-songwriter," said Rush singer Geddy Lee in the 2019 documentary Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind.

"If there was a Mt. Rushmore in Canada, Gordon would be on it," said Tom Cochrane, in that same documentary.

"Gordon's songs are works of art, every bit as relevant as classic poetry," Cochrane said during his salute to Lightfoot at the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame gala in 2003. 

"But even more importantly, Gordon Lightfoot led the way and he showed us … that you can be true to your roots. You can draw on your influences at home and country and you can incorporate those inspirations into the fabric of your work and still be internationally successful."

Sundown 

He put on one of the best live concert performances that I've ever had the unexpected pleasure to watch and listen to. Saw it at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, Fl., a hall that was built for it's acoustic enhancement.

He had an ability to relay a story in song and verse that is a rare quality these days.

My favorite songs by Mr. Lightfoot were Canadian Railroad Trilogy, If You Could Read My Mind, Don Quixote and Carefree Highway. He had many other great songs but those are my favorites.

Rest in Peace Mr. Lightfoot and Thank you for the memories that will last a lifetime and music that will last forever.

Troubadour - next to Gordon's picture in my dictionary!   

I hope your dog no longer has to pass razor blades, Gordo.  That's a concert joke, if you are wondering.  In spite of that, he held the audience in the palm of his hand for two hours when I had the great fortune to see him in 1974.

"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run"   Canadian Railroad Trilogy

This song in the mid 70's led me to Alberta to see what was up there.  His story telling will always be with me, nothing better.  God Bless Mr. Lightfoot.

Canadian Railroad Trilogy

And "Carefree Highway" was inspired by a highway in AZ (SR 74) following a concert in Flagstaff  while traveling back to Phoenix.  Just a little trivia.

Just saw this report, of all places, on the AccuWeather page.

This day I shall mourn.

His was the first music my wife and I listened to, together, as a couple.

23 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

If You Could Read My Mind, Don Quixote and Carefree Highway.

Carefree Highway was named for "Carefree Highway" here in Arizona.  Drive on it everytime I go to the range.

44 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Carefree Highway was named for "Carefree Highway" here in Arizona.  Drive on it everytime I go to the range.

Yep, I had read that it was about an actual highway but didn't know where...now I do.B)

Archived