SASS Wire Forum

Reliable budget AR?

sassnetguy50

Inspired as an offshoot of @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 thread and an email today.

What budget ARs have you had good experiences with?

Combat Armory sent an email today, 10% off coupon.  Had to do the obligatory quick website check.  Radical Firearms AR is $400.  Hmm.  Yes, fit, finish, features are not top of the line.  They do go bang when I pull the standard mil spec trigger that is dissatisfactory in any rifle.  Then dug around to see if others are having the same positive experience.  It looks like RF had some issues early on, current production is satisfactory for a hunter or low round count plinker.  I'd guess 4-5k 223 by my highest count.  It sees some double taps but no magazine dumps.  Was broke in on PMC brass and has been fed mostly steel Wolf since.  I've only used the .223, not the 300 or 7.62 RF AR.

I did have one problem with an upper I ordered.  The take down pin holes were a touch too far forward in the upper.  This made the rear lug of the upper have to gouge the lower to mate.  I did not test this upper for function beyond this point.  Was the lower at the tolerance limit one way and the upper at the tolerance limit the other or was it out of spec?  Regardless, they had a new upper in the mail the next day.  It worked great.

Brief intro

Problem video from 6 years ago

What budget ARs have you had good experiences with?

Budget is relative obviously. 

I own Daniel Defence.

So to me a budget rifle maybe a lot of cash....but if I was going to get another cheaper AR or beater there are three options...

First by a lot I'm my opinion Aero Precision.

Second/third Palmetto State Armory and M&P-15.

.I know the M&P gets some grief but two buddy's of mine have one and we have beat those like a hammer and they have worked just fine.

If you want something a little different but still AR Foxtrot Mike make some really good guns with amazing reviews.

I think it depends on use case. ARs body wise are mostly simple that modern processes have made remarkably consistent and kept tolerance stack under control in most cases but instance occur as noted here. 

Everything else is quality in bcg as displayed in the video above and barrel/chamber assuming assembly procedures are within specs.

I had a PSA sale rack that ran ok. However quality magazines were a good investment over their 6.99-8.99 steelies.

I've not torture tested one. 

Buys like this blow my mind for shotgun 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/garaysar-mka1919-12-gauge-20-semi-auto-black-mka1919-match.html

Hey it's a 'match' model. 

Fact is many of the "Budget " AR's are just as good as some of the High dollar , for most shooters you dont need a fancy Charge handle, adjustable gas system (most cant adjust them right anyway ) 

I build all my own , But did buy a Springfield Armory ATC and well they are nice 

Palmetto State, because of all the varied choices.

Ruger, good quality and affordable price.

Springfield Armory Saint, just a step up from bargain stuff

Spikes Tactical.  Great start for a custom gun.

My first build was a Spikes "Crusader" stripped lower (that one is my wife's - my drivers license had expired because I thought I had another year and the notice wasn't forwarded to me after we moved) and everything else from Palmetto State.  I think it came to around $450.

Second was all PSA and ran about $400 because I bought a Plain Jane stripped lower for about $50 less than the Crusader.  

Both lowers bought at a LGS because shipping and the fees to get a stripped lower from out of state would have added about $120 to the cost of each. 

Then another $100 buying stuff to try to comply with California's ever-changing laws that tried to close various "loopholes" state law required, finally going "featureless" so I wouldn't have to register them.

These are really good rifles. Great barrel, cartridge style trigger, damn near indestructible lower, weighs less than 6 pounds. $300 off right now.

https://www.brownells.com/guns/rifles/semi-auto-rifles/civil-defense-rifle-cdr-rifle/

2 hours ago, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

These are really good rifles. Great barrel, cartridge style trigger, damn near indestructible lower, weighs less than 6 pounds. $300 off right now.

https://www.brownells.com/guns/rifles/semi-auto-rifles/civil-defense-rifle-cdr-rifle/

Does the barrel hold true as it heats up?  The Brownells video makes that trigger look great for a budget AR.  

On 5/4/2023 at 4:46 PM, Texas Joker said:

Buds guns

Screenshot_20230504_164454_Email.thumb.jpg.0a2b5f27142a3f4a3ae1feca783376a0.jpg

That certainly qualifies as a budget AR.  I bought a Plum Crazy lower when chasing light weight rifles.  It was the worst ar trigger I ever felt.  It went bang every time for about ten boxes then it was sent down the road. 

Archived