SASS Wire Forum

Show Me Your Gun Carts

Oregon Ace

2 hours ago, Oregon Ace said:

...Didn’t see a thread for this yet

That's because everything gets archived after 30 days so the Wire search function is of very little use.  You need to go to google.  Type this in Google:

site:sassnet.com Home made gun carts

And you will get more threads and pictures than you can shake a stick at.

You're welcome. :)

DSCN1226.jpg

2003 EzGo, w/ Honda 420cc.  Rugged gear gun caddy.  Have to be careful.  Ranges can be crowded... lots of pedestrians not watching where they're going!   Never seems to get to top speed.   

I would also suggest checking with your local club to see if the range has any rules on muzzle up Vs muzzle down or actions open / closed or muzzle covered if up, over the years I have run into all sorts of range specific rules.

Obviously this suggestion doesn't apply if you shoot trap / skeet because apparently you can swing your high dollar double anyway you want, even point it at your own toes if you so chose! :blink:

Lots and lots of guncarts sweep the owners when they move the cart.  Considering that you cleared the guns and the actions are open, most of us don't mind. SASS and guncarts have been around for a pretty long time and nobody's gun has shot them from a cart yet.   YMMV of course

ETA:  This post was in reply to a now removed comment concerning a reply the author of the deleted post felt was 'unwelcoming and cranky'   

I didn't take it as cranky at all!  I'm a mod* on a rather niche firearms forum and I can't tell you the number of times a noob (or Tenderfoot,if you prefer) will come along and ask the same question that has been asked hundreds of times before, it can get very frustrating, and the '30 day to archive' limits the amount of searching a new member can do here, which can only add to the frustration of answering the same questions over and over again 

* and a very cranky mod at that!  :rolleyes:

I've shot matches for 24 years and never seen anybody chastise anyone else because their guns in a cart swept the owner.  A few people with a wagon or some such and guns laying in it that sweep other people is another issue.

There really needs to be a sticky on here that tells people how to do the google search for archived stuff, as it works very well but most people don't know about it.  There is one post in the FAQ section that mentions it but that is further down the post and not the subject, plus many don't even know that the FAQ exists.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:33 PM, Griff said:

DSCN1226.jpg

2003 EzGo, w/ Honda 420cc.  Rugged gear gun caddy.  Have to be careful.  Ranges can be crowded... lots of pedestrians not watching where they're going!   Never seems to get to top speed.   

Action closed... yer fired! :P

26 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Action closed... yer fired! :P

Photo happens to be on farm... where firearms are to be in condition 2, if not condition 1!

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Photo happens to be on farm... where firearms are to be in condition 2, if not condition 1!

We'll let it go this time then!:lol:

On 5/2/2023 at 10:40 PM, VinnieBoomBah said:

Do you ever run into an issue with "muzzle sweeping" yourself if you tilt it back too far? 

No. There is enough offset that you do not sweep yourself or anyone else. 

You asked if I tilt it too far back, then it becomes unbalanced and would fall if you let go, but that is true for essentially all 2 wheel carts.

In general, it helps to understand that you cannot be totally safe - that is not real world.  A car can come at you so quick you cannot avoid it.  A deer runs out in front of you from a wooded area.  If we are alert, we can avoid almost anything but not everything. 

However, you CAN try to be too safe and thus increase your danger.  Having worked in safety and redundancy areas, if you try to add too many safety levels (usually 3 is the max limit), you will create a single point of failure and actually significantly reduce the safety level. So the basic gun safety rules cover it, with the exception that you must always be pointing your muzzle somewhere.  So you must choose the least dangerous direction.  But that is not possible to be fool-proof or absolute.

For example, it it is pointed up, you should be safe until you look at where a bullet may fall (with the bullet at it's terminal velocity).  If you point it downward, it may be slightly safer, but ricochets at a lower mass and velocity may still be dangerous.

So be alert, take care, and trust God.

This is only somewhat related.  Back when I started I heard about a (Texas, I think) shooter who always pulled the trigger on his rifle to drop the hammer instead of lowering slowly with his thumb.  After the match as he was putting his guns away, with the rifle still on his cart he closed the action and pulled the trigger.  There was a round in it that went off with the muzzle right next to his ear, and it caused him to go deaf in that ear.  Obviously could have been much worse!  Some of those details may be off but that's the way I heard it.  That rifle with the action open in his cart was still not a danger, though.  A good lesson, though, to always ease the hammer down on any gun unless rules or such require pulling the trigger (clearing a WB 1911, etc), as well as pointing in a safe direction when doing so.  

I said earlier that lots of carts sweep the owners when they move the carts, and while that is still true, there are a lot less than there used to be primarily due to the proliferation of the Rugged Gear carts which dominate the range these days.  I have no problem with anyone feeling they want to keep the muzzles of their own open-action guns from sweeping themselves, each to their own comfort level.

One of my three carts which has passed thru two or three other shooters before it got to me.

I also have a commercial wooden cart and a small foldup cart for my Corvette.

But this is my primary - all metal; military ammo box - handles are male ends / frame rails female for handle installation and removal (held in place with spring clips).

I added the axe handles for looks and easier control.  Firearms are held by magnets fixed in place where the barrels hit the cart.  Solid rubber wheels.

A coat of paint; my Nevada front plate that is supposed to be on the car, Painted Lady alias on the top and Desert Scorpions name (and a stinging scorpion) painted on the box lid.

IMG_20190502_144243.jpg

And yes, those are repurposed paint cans for cup holders.  The leather panel on the top is cut for the barrels of pistols to stick in - magnets there as well to hold them.

IMG_20190502_144207.jpg

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Back when I started I heard about a (Texas, I think) shooter who always pulled the trigger on his rifle to drop the hammer instead of lowering slowly with his thumb.  After the match as he was putting his guns away, with the rifle still on his cart he closed the action and pulled the trigger.  There was a round in it that went off with the muzzle right next to his ear

Actually, the one I know about, and was there. He was loading up gear into his car after match. He took the gun out of cart to place in case, rested on his foot and pulled the trigger. Rifle had NOT been checked after last stage. Hole in foot to match one in head.

Archived