SASS Wire Forum

BALLISTOL - Aerosol or non-aerosol in spray bottle?

Chief Rick

Do you have a preference?  Why?

I'm asking because my wife prefers her rifle lubed with Ballistol versus Hornady One-Shot Dry Lube.  I prefer the One-Shot.

I am almost out of the aerosol can of Ballistol that I am currently using.

I have and use both.
For spot placement into actions, I use the liquid on a q-tip.
For the exterior, I use the spray.

I also keep some liquid in an oil tin for my wife to use on her spinning wheels.
Always a perfectly good reason to have both on hand.

--Dawg

I have and use both.  The liquid can be mixed with water to make moosemilk for cleaning BP, plus I can wet patches with it and dip q-tips in it, using less than spraying the Qtip.  But the spray is good for spraying the inside and outside of guns with good coverage.  I spray in the chambers and bores plus outside of guns after shooting BP, before putting them in their cases in the car.  Then I'll clean them a day or week or month later.  

i like the spray , i feel i have more control and i feel i get the use of all of it - ive felt my aerosol cans had product left when the fizz was gone 

I use both, Keep the aerosol in my cart just in case I need it. It will not leak out if it falls over.

Mostly use the large can with the trigger sprayer when cleaning. Bonus is that I use it diluted (Moose Milk) or full strength as needed. 

Yep, forgot about using it with water to make moose milk.
I too, always have a eyeglass spray bottle of moose milk tucked away on my guncart.

I use it to wipe down bores & cylinders on my cap & cartridge guns when I'm shooting black powder.

It mixes with water well, so it makes good moose milk.

Thanks Dave for the reminder!

I also keep one of those tiny aerosol spray bottles on my cart, in case I need it!

--Dawg 

I guess I shouild correct my post above, as I sort of misread the OP's post.  I don't use a spray at all, I use the Aerosol, plus the liquid for moosemilk, Q-tips, patches, etc. as mentioned.  Also, I have some of those very small aerosol cans that are very convenient for the guncart, although they are more expensive per ounce.

No one even touched on the small one use packets that you can get with the patch in it. They handed them out at a number of matches so I have a small collection of them. They are also good for quick lube or cleanup when needed.

TM

I like the little aerosol can for quick spot shots. I also have the little one swipe patches for wiping down a cylinder or the receiver on my rifle.

For cleaning, I have the big metal quart can with the pump-spray nozzle.

I used to sell Ballistol products.  I like ‘em all.

6 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

No one even touched on the small one use packets that you can get with the patch in it. ...

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

.... I also have the little one swipe patches for wiping down a cylinder or the receiver on my rifle....

Whattaya mean "one-use" "one swipe" ?  Even though I've got a bag full of those packets, I've been using the same one for a long time.  I fold it up and stick it back in the packet.   That one stays in the safe for quick wipes.  It's starting to get a little dry, I guess I should spurge and open a new one. :lol:

I absolutely hate the smell.  Don't like licorice anyway (except the red ones) but the smell of Ballistol absolutely takes my breath away.  If cleaning guns in the kitchen, I simply must have a fan blowing.  The main sales guy in the USA (not sure if he still is) used to spray a puff in his mouth a bunch of times a day when he was in his little booth at ShotShow or distributor shows, to show people it was safe.  My buddy AD told me the other day that way back when, he made a bet with Shalako Joe, Badlands Ben, and some other guys that he would spray it in his mouth for 3 seconds.  He did and they paid.  He just said it tasted like locorice. :)

23 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Do you have a preference?  Why?

I'm asking because my wife prefers her rifle lubed with Ballistol versus Hornady One-Shot Dry Lube.  I prefer the One-Shot.

I am almost out of the aerosol can of Ballistol that I am currently using.

I save my aerosol cans for hard to get areas and use the spray bottle or pump for everything else.

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have and use both.  The liquid can be mixed with water to make moosemilk for cleaning BP, plus I can wet patches with it and dip q-tips in it, using less than spraying the Qtip.  But the spray is good for spraying the inside and outside of guns with good coverage.  I spray in the chambers and bores plus outside of guns after shooting BP, before putting them in their cases in the car.  Then I'll clean them a day or week or month later.  

The only time I use it on my guns is when they are potentially damp, after shooting.  I'll spray the guns down really good before I put them in their cases, then wipe them down after I get home (which may be a couple days).  Sounds like the aerosol is a better product for that.

7 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Real simple.  The only thing avaiable in local stores is the aerosol.

Amazon

My "local" stores don't carry it.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Whattaya mean "one-use" "one swipe" ?  Even though I've got a bag full of those packets, I've been using the same one for a long time.  I fold it up and stick it back in the packet.   That one stays in the safe for quick wipes.  It's starting to get a little dry, I guess I should spurge and open a new one. :lol:

I absolutely hate the smell.  Don't like licorice anyway (except the red ones) but the smell of Ballistol absolutely takes my breath away.  If cleaning guns in the kitchen, I simply must have a fan blowing.  The main sales guy in the USA (not sure if he still is) used to spray a puff in his mouth a bunch of times a day when he was in his little booth at ShotShow or distributor shows, to show people it was safe.  My buddy AD told me the other day that way back when, he made a bet with Shalako Joe, Badlands Ben, and some other guys that he would spray it in his mouth for 3 seconds.  He did and they paid.  He just said it tasted like locorice. :)

I can see you saving yours forever. LOL I also hate licorice except for the red ones. Bobbi eats the blacks ones when we get them.

TM

Archived