SASS Wire Forum

I just had a thoughty thought

Alpo

I wonder if burglars cruise the neighborhoods looking for boxes out of the street of high-end expensive items?

Just got back from walking the dog, and down at the end of the street I could see this big red thing that hadn't been there before. When I get close enough I see that it's a box from a 66 inch television.

So the guy that lives there just bought a 5-6 hundred dollar TV. And if his car was not there tonight, that might be worth breaking a window in taking it to my house. :ph34r:

I don't leave stuff out at the street, at my house. We have two types of pickup. Garbage, which is put in large blue cans on wheels, and gets dumped by the automatic truck twice a week. And trash, is left lying in the yard and they come by with a hydraulic claw on a boom truck and pick it up. The problem is they frequently pick up the top inch or so of lawn when they do that.

So I don't put trash out. I figure a way to put it in my garbage can. Large boxes are simple. Large box plus razor knife equals small pieces of cardboard, which fit easily in the garbage can.

Yes, thieves do watch the trash deposits.

Got new neighbors up the road.  Both head of household worked at nuclear power plant as engineers.  Made good money by looks of the expensive stuff they bought.   Got to noticing one guy's mailbox was stuffed full and stuff hanging out.  I asked his neighbor if he should collect his mail.  Sure sign nobody was home. He thought it nonsense but I think he did it.  A couple of years later,  the house was cleaned out in broad daylight.  Hauled a lot of expensive tools and stuff away in his pickup.  The worst damage was stealing their computers.  She did bookkeeping and such.  They stole their identity and charged things.  Someone spotted his truck being used in another robbery of an ATV but they still didn't catch the thefts.   Latter someone spotted the truck again when a woman was trying to sell it. Forging and owner's name on the title. He got his truck back and the thefts were caught.   But the computer, tools and other things were never recovered as far as I know. 

For years I had already been cutting up trash to fit in the containers for just that reason. About 10 years ago, our trash hauler went to the containers that are mechanically lifted and dumped in the truck. And there’s only the driver now. No more guys hanging off the back of the truck. If your trash isn’t in the container, it’s not picked up. If you overfill your container and some of it spills, they leave it and keep going. The short story is you don’t see large boxes at the curb anymore in our neighborhood. 

Archived