SASS Wire Forum

What do you think?

Hells Comin

2 minutes ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

SASS has stated they are not eligible for State Champion, That being said, the Overall and First in Category should receive an award, but not the State title.

Exactly 

35 minutes ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

SASS has stated they are not eligible for State Champion, That being said, the Overall and First in Category should receive an award, but not the State title.

I absolutely agree.  If you finish top Overall you should get something.  The match director/committee should be prepared for that possibility.

This photo is from last year's Maryland State Championship, Thunder Valley Days, in Damascus, MD.  You'll note that both the Top Man and Top Lady were not Maryland residents, so not the state champions.  The state champions also received the state champion buckles in addition to the plaques.

CH4A6528 copy.jpg

Who was it?

ND/SD State Championship we have a plaque for the Top Overall Man and Lady - Where ever they may be from.

Champion buckles for ND and SD Champions - They may or may not be Top Overall, just depends on who showed up.

ND and SD state category champions receive an award.

1st thru 3rd in category receive an award.

Category champions aren't always in the top three.

YMMV

Vic

In Tennessee we award a buckle to the State Champion in every Category before we start the regular Category Awards.  At the end we have an award for the Overall State Champions and then the Top Overall Champions who may or may not be the same. 

Randy 

Just to be clear Reverend asked me not to post anything. 

For those of you that know me that wasn't going to happen 

One more thing to be clear on-when I said the finger i was referring to the index finger is that the same thing 

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

Reverend ledslinga from Arizona won overall at California State and received the finger 

California...figures.

I've never been to another states championship but talking about traveling with some locals, I was under the impression it was standard practice to give awards to the top shooters, just not the State Champion Title

I don't think I will ever be good enough to win my state championship.

But if I did, I would be honored to watch any shooter from another state who could beat me. I'll take my state champion award and also applaud the overall winner.

Nor do I have any hope of beating any other state champion in their state. But if I did, I will also applaud that state champion and treasure my overall award if I am best. And if someone beats both the state champion and me, I will applaud both their awards and still go home both happy and empty handed.

The speed some of you can shoot is a thrill to watch!

Happened to me in South Carolina in 2006, I was first in FCD , I beat the other guy but he was the state champ. That’s fine, that’s just the way it is. :)

Yes there should be an overall award whether said person is from that state or not, a good match director would make sure there is such an award for just in case that situation arises at said shoot. That is what I have done at my club knowing full well that the overall winner male and female may not be from Kansas.

I think...  Hmmm...

I am not a top 10 shooter.  I'm not even a top half shooter.  

Heck, I'm not a top 3/4 shooter!

I am from Massachusetts.   I have shot the the Mass/Conn/RI Tristate, the Vermont/NH championship, the Maryland/Delaware shoot, End of the Trail, Nevada State Championship and the Michigan State Championship.   I enjoy travelling to the big shoots when I get a chance too because they are fun, and allow for something to do on vacations.   That being said, if I was a contender for winning these matches and managed to be the winner, I would say that some sort of recognition is appropriate.   I would not expect to be declared the state champion for any state other than Massachusetts, but winner of the "match" or Category makes sense.  

Maybe if out of state shooters now boycott the CA. state championship, and their attendance goes hopefully way down, CA. match personnel might think about changing their attitude. 

I'm the Match Director for the California State Championship.  Hells Comin, you raise a great point and it's on me for not considering that a non-Californian would win our state match.  This was my first time running a State level match and this is obviously a learning experience.  We did give Reverend Lead Slinga the recognition he deserved at the awards ceremony; we just failed to have a trophy for him.  I'm a bit insulted that you suggested we "gave him the finger."  We have reached out to Reverend Lead Slinga and are making things right.  He is a great shooter and a great guy and he deserves the recognition.

Way to go Clint Steele, apologizing and making things right immediately is the way a good match director would handle a situation like this.  

But, you didn't think an out of state shooter could beat your local folks?   Hmmmmm?

Clint Steele

I'm sure Reverend Leadsinga appreciates that you are doing everything you can to make things right. 

I apologize for the unjust comments I made.

I just spoke with Clint Steele and Sassy Kitty. They called me an hour ago while I was still on the road on my way home from the match. We also just spoke again immediately prior to me posting this reply. This was a minor over sight and they are already setting things in motion to get me an Mens overall buckle. Clint and Sassy are truly a wonderful, dedicated  and passionate cowboy action duo. Thank you for some of the comments here but this was a minor oversight.

Sassy is upset over all this and that's just not cowboy. These 2 worked very hard preparing for this match. I also would like this post of mine to be the end of this !!

Congratulations to all concerned for a fine 2023 Cal State Championship

Regards to all

Reverend L

Archived