SASS Wire Forum

I Want to Shoot Something Unique

Waimea

I have my share of guns to shoot at Cowboy matches.

I'm looking for something interesting to shoot within the confines of our sport.

I was thinking about a lever action SG but Fireball has cornered the market on that in Florida. :lol:

I bought a couple hammered doubles but they didn't float my boat and they got sold or traded.

Not that I am ruling out hammered doubles. In fact that's probably the way I'll go.

I'm trying to stay away from black powder bc I'm lazy but my need for uniqueness may override my slothful nature.

I have always been amazed at the variety of action releases that exist on the early doubles. I particularly like the side latch.

I may have already answered my own question but here it is anyway:

What would be an interesting gun to shoot in CAS?

There are many funky old single shot rifles one can use in the Plainsman.  Is it time to buy a trapdoor, a Sharps or Rolling Block?

42 minutes ago, Waimea said:

This...

Ridiculous.jpg.aa21366076510f37f3a0e342c240bd9f.jpg

Unfortunately, only the rifle is SASS legal.   The shotgun and pistols are not for some reason.   Some clubs might allow you to use them and some will absolutely not.

That being said, the big loop 92 rifle is unusual and fun.

So are these...
Lightings.thumb.JPG.e8772be6633eec6586401bc0b435f0e0.JPG

Obviously only talking about the "medium frame" ones in the middle for use as main match rifles.  The Lightning is a lot of fun, and rather unusual in that it's very much a niche gun in our game used by two kind of people; those who bewail their shortcoming, and those who love them and thing they are great.  I am in the latter camp.

For a shotgun, to go with something out of the ordinary, I think the 87 is your best bet.  Doubles and 97's are very common.   But if you wanna go the 97 route, you can go unusual by doing it with a 30" barrel, which is what I do.

Or, if you really wanna go with a double....

SxSs.thumb.JPG.b3b6aa58284fb67f82e71d5e386346c1.JPG

The top one is a Parker.   You can't beat a Parker.

For Pistols....

SAAMisc.thumb.JPG.6a3d6773d70f463226752be5413ba1b5.JPG\\

Pairing a Buntline with a Sheriff's model is fun.  As is using a pair of Sheriff's.  And of course, my infamous "Big Iron" is always fun to shoot.

So that's an unusual way to do it.

Or go with S&W Top breaks.   Or a Henry, or Bisley revolvers or....

The possibilities are endless.  :)

For pistols (if you don’t want to shoot BP or Frontiersman) why not a pair of Schofields?  For a rifle if you could figure out a way to get 3 more in the tube you could go with a Spencer.  SGs are a little more limited, have you thought about 12ga brass shells? Or maybe a fine 10ga?  

35 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Pard brought one of these to a match about 2002 or so. I declined to try it, wish I had, darne it!^_^

Darne-Sliding-Breech-Double-Guns-and-Rifles-steniron.com-4.jpg

That's another old action release that I've never seen.

Thanks, Goody.

Fire and Fallback pairs a giant Dragoon with a .36 cal. That's pretty unique. And he's FAST with them too.

HK: I have a lightening in the works right now. That may ease my craving for a while.

I already shoot a 30" 97. Get a lot of comments about just pushing the targets down.:lol:

Single shot with ejectors might be interesting. Some of them have cool action releases too. 

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

HK: I have a lightening in the works right now. That may ease my craving for a while.

I already shoot a 30" 97. Get a lot of comments about just pushing the targets down.:lol:

Oh...   Be very, very careful!   If you use a Lightning, it will not "ease a craving."   Once you have been bitten by the Lightning Bug, you will be infected with it's power for the rest of your life.  It creates an insatiable hunger to experience the Lightning on more and more levels.

Just look again at my Lightning collection for proof!   From top to bottom...

Colt, Large Frame, 45-85-385.  A Colt proprietary round that uses the same brass as .45-70, making it easy to load.

AWA, Medium Frame replica, .45 Colt.  My first Lightning, which I got just, "to have one."  This is where the Lightning Bug infected me.  First rifle I ever shot a clean match with, and it rapidly became my favorite main match rifle.
Colt, Medium Frame, .44-40.  Costa Rican Army Surplus.  I hope to some day find a bayonet for it.
AWA, Medium Frame Replica, .44-40.   My second Lightning.   After doing so well with the .45, I said that if I ever found an AWA in .44-40, I'd buy it.  I did.

Colt, Medium Frame, .32-20.  My third Lightning, and first real Colt.  I love the .32-20, and finding this Colt for a very reasonable price, was too good to pass up.
Colt, Small Frame, .22 Long.  This "completed" my Lightning collection, in that it gave me the small frame version as well.
AWA, Lightning Bol Pistol, .45 Colt.  Probably one of, if not the rarest of variations on the Lightning theme.   Was very happy to obtain this one.

No pictured cuz I don't have it yet; a Taurus that is being converted to .44 Special by someone who can make it work.

Once the Lightning Bug infects you, it never lets you go.  You wind up wanting them in multiple calibers by multiple makers.  Perhaps someday I'll consider adding a Pedersoli, or a USFA if I can find one, or a Uberti/Beretta if the circumstances are correct.

Welcome to the world of the Lightning.

And as far as just knocking the targets over by tapping them with the end of the barrel on the 30" 97, I get that ALL the time!  I've been accused of it more times than I care to count, but the life of me, I have not yet figured out how to do that.  Even at the closest I've ever seen them, they aren't THAT close.  :)

Been accused of it with the Buntine as well, which makes even less sense.

Oh, here's another thing you could try, a converted Walker on one hip, and a Dragoon on the other.

Heck, the weirdest thing you could use is a pair of Nagants.   (Bottom)  Those very strange indeed, but a lot of fun to shoot every now and again.
MiscCalibers.thumb.JPG.8cc79df698f3288d36a867f49bd7f941.JPG

The top is a real S&W New Model 3 in .38-44, an elongated .38 S&W, which can be safely chambered and fired in this gun.  (Loaded only with Black Powder.)

Middle is an actual Colt 1860 that has been converted twice in it's life.   The original conversion clearly had a loading gate.  The current conversion, to .32 S&W Long, requires the removal of the barrel to load.  A very unusual gun to be sure. 

Yea! Like Dutch, 10 ga full house black! Not too hard to clean. Try it, you'll like it. Oh, a Henry for you?

HK: I looked for a Nagant a couple of years ago but ended up disappointed with what I could find so I gave up. Maybe I'll try that again. Never seen ANYONE shoot one in a match.

Warden: that gun looks like it has an odd action release. Just what I'm talking about.

PM: NO THANK YOU!:lol:

7 minutes ago, Waimea said:

HK: I looked for a Nagant a couple of years ago but ended up disappointed with what I could find so I gave up. Maybe I'll try that again. Never seen ANYONE shoot one in a match.

15 years ago. you could get a Nagant, with a holster, for 69 buck.   It was the first pistol I bought on my C&R.   Got the second one about a year later, and already they were getting harder to find.   A LOT were imported to the country at that time. and being so cheap. they sold fast.

These days, Nagants are going for hundreds of dollars, and I think they are over priced.

Getting ammo is problematic. but you can load usable cartridges with .32-20 brass and special dies from Lee.

I have a 12g Darne I take to a match every now and again, and a 10g American Arms Fox Patent Side Swing that also gets a lot of odd looks when I break it open. The Darne has full-length extractors, NOT ejectors. Models with ejectors were also made that flung the empties off to the sides when they cleared the chambers, via spring loaded plungers in the breech face, as can be seen in Goody's picture above, which would make it illegal for CAS, of course.

8 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh...   Be very, very careful!   If you use a Lightning, it will not "ease a craving."   Once you have been bitten by the Lightning Bug, you will be infected with it's power for the rest of your life.  It creates an insatiable hunger to experience the Lightning on more and more levels.

Just look again at my Lightning collection for proof!   From top to bottom...

Colt, Large Frame, 45-85-385.  A Colt proprietary round that uses the same brass as .45-70, making it easy to load.

AWA, Medium Frame replica, .45 Colt.  My first Lightning, which I got just, "to have one."  This is where the Lightning Bug infected me.  First rifle I ever shot a clean match with, and it rapidly became my favorite main match rifle.
Colt, Medium Frame, .44-40.  Costa Rican Army Surplus.  I hope to some day find a bayonet for it.
AWA, Medium Frame Replica, .44-40.   My second Lightning.   After doing so well with the .45, I said that if I ever found an AWA in .44-40, I'd buy it.  I did.

Colt, Medium Frame, .32-20.  My third Lightning, and first real Colt.  I love the .32-20, and finding this Colt for a very reasonable price, was too good to pass up.
Colt, Small Frame, .22 Long.  This "completed" my Lightning collection, in that it gave me the small frame version as well.
AWA, Lightning Bol Pistol, .45 Colt.  Probably one of, if not the rarest of variations on the Lightning theme.   Was very happy to obtain this one.

No pictured cuz I don't have it yet; a Taurus that is being converted to .44 Special by someone who can make it work.

Once the Lightning Bug infects you, it never lets you go.  You wind up wanting them in multiple calibers by multiple makers.  Perhaps someday I'll consider adding a Pedersoli, or a USFA if I can find one, or a Uberti/Beretta if the circumstances are correct.

Welcome to the world of the Lightning.

And as far as just knocking the targets over by tapping them with the end of the barrel on the 30" 97, I get that ALL the time!  I've been accused of it more times than I care to count, but the life of me, I have not yet figured out how to do that.  Even at the closest I've ever seen them, they aren't THAT close.  :)

Been accused of it with the Buntine as well, which makes even less sense.

Oh, here's another thing you could try, a converted Walker on one hip, and a Dragoon on the other.

Heck, the weirdest thing you could use is a pair of Nagants.   (Bottom)  Those very strange indeed, but a lot of fun to shoot every now and again.
MiscCalibers.thumb.JPG.8cc79df698f3288d36a867f49bd7f941.JPG

The top is a real S&W New Model 3 in .38-44, an elongated .38 S&W, which can be safely chambered and fired in this gun.  (Loaded only with Black Powder.)

Middle is an actual Colt 1860 that has been converted twice in it's life.   The original conversion clearly had a loading gate.  The current conversion, to .32 S&W Long, requires the removal of the barrel to load.  A very unusual gun to be sure. 

Aren't the Nagants double action?

3 minutes ago, Doc Moses said:

Aren't the Nagants double action?

Most are, I think, but it takes all of 30 seconds to take the double action fly out and make 'em legal for Cowboy.

1 minute ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Most are, I think, but it takes all of 30 seconds to take the double action fly out and make 'em legal for Cowboy.

Thanks. I have one and was wondering if it could be mad single action. Not sure when I will get around to it!  Or if.

11 hours ago, Waimea said:

image.png.7342c97608000b10bdeedeef303d2bb4.png

Pietta Patersons.  5 shot, 36 caliber.

I picked up a new savage/Stevens 301 12 gauge single shot. It is a clone of an H&R topper with the push button to open action. It was under 200 bucks. Wrapping the front of the trigger guard is a good idea to prevent a sore finger when shooting from the hip. 

8 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

You are correct.   There were some that were made as SAs to begin with.   But the DA version is different only in one little piece that can be easily removed.   That's what I did with both of mine.  With that thing removed, the action is actually a bit less heavy.  Still won't win any speed contests with them, but they are fun to shoot, and remarkably ergonomic.   I've shot a couple of matches with them.

10 minutes ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

How about these. 

CC0C3696-7A22-4E2C-8581-3F6627398147.jpeg

The problem is that while they are a pre-1900 design, they are double action.   And no, just using them single action style is not allowed.   

There are a more than a few pre-1900 DAs that have no place in our game that I think should.   If not as main match things, then at least at some sort of a side match.   But I would not be opposed to allowing them to be used as long as you shoot them SA style.   (Okay, the Mark VI was not around until WWI, but the only difference between them and the Mark I-V is the shape of the grip.  I can tolerate that too.)

I shoot a cut down single barrel nef 12 ga quite a bit.  It's fun and different from the rest. Plus my daughter shoots the same thing in .410. 

The other unique gun I shoot some times is my merwin hulbert skull crusher.  Cool old gun, and a ton of fun

17 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I shoot a cut down single barrel nef 12 ga quite a bit.  It's fun and different from the rest. Plus my daughter shoots the same thing in .410. 

The other unique gun I shoot some times is my merwin hulbert skull crusher.  Cool old gun, and a ton of fun

I will probably end up with a single shot here at some point.

I would love to get an older one with a cool action release.

A side or bottom release would be fun.

I was bidding on a martini action on GB but it went over my limit. Plus it needed work.

I love merwin hulberts, especially the skull crusher grip!

16 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I was bidding on a martini action on GB but it went over my limit. Plus it needed work.

I love merwin hulberts, especially the skull crusher grip!

I've got a iver Johnson 16 ga ring trigger coming.   Very cool action 

2 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I've got a iver Johnson 16 ga ring trigger coming.   Very cool action 

I might have seen that gun on GB.

It was either that same one or something very similar.

Definitely caught my eye.:unsure:

23 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Ithaca M66

Archived