SASS Wire Forum

Good Jeans

Rip Snorter

I have been wearing Wranglers since the mid '80's when Levi's went Woke ahead of most others.  Been satisfied with them till recently. Three expensive pairs I have bought in the last several months have failed in casual wear use.  The they are well enough made,(in Nicaragua) but the fabric is fragile.  I am slim and the Wrangler slim fit works, but I'm getting into the season where I still do some work on the property, these aren't going to cut it.  Anyone suggest an alternate brand for good fitting, sturdy work jeans?  It would be nice if they looked good enough for casual wear as well since I live in jeans.

My 2 cents on Cinch vs Ariat….will never buy cinch again they are thin in many areas and wear through rather quickly.  Heck my back pockets wore through where I put my wallet. Ariat, short for Secretariat, have held up phenomenally for me with no holes for a casual use comparison.  

I am an advocate of Ariat

2 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

My 2 cents on Cinch vs Ariat….will never buy cinch again they are thin in many areas and wear through rather quickly.  Heck my back pockets wore through where I put my wallet. Ariat, short for Secretariat, have held up phenomenally for me with no holes for a casual use comparison.  

I know boots aren't jeans but Ariat boots were so crappy that I threw one pair away and have ice cleats permanently mounted on the others.  I probably wear them 5 or 6 times a year.  Thanks for your input, I'll give them a look.

Good point and agree.  I have a pair of Ariat boots that cost just under 200…..probably worth 50 bucks tops.

I did buy an expensive pair of their boots in caiman, my only exotic and those are actually decent.  I got those half price and feel they are a fair value but not at full price…

But you are talking to someone who finds himself mostly wearing Hey Dudes or New Balance tennis shoes that my kids kindly call my Boomer shoes….

14 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Which cinches ? Only the gussted edc work ones lasted for me. White label. Also I think year to year any brand can kinda do whatever so something old is good something new is not. 

6 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Good point and agree.  I have a pair of Ariat boots that cost just under 200…..probably worth 50 bucks tops.

I did buy an expensive pair of their boots in caiman, my only exotic and those are actually decent.  I got those half price and feel they are a fair value but not at full price…

But you are talking to someone who finds himself mostly wearing Hey Dudes or New Balance tennis shoes that my kids kindly call my Boomer shoes….

I don't own anything but boots and a pair of flip flops that haven't seen anything but the bottom of the closet in years.

I was buying Blue Mountain jeans from TSC.  They were pretty sturdy and the price was good, but the last three pairs I bought had defective zippers that failed within a few weeks.

Rustlers have been around for a while and I have had a few pairs. They held up pretty well, but I wasn’t happy with the fit.

Carhart are okay, but some of them have a weird spacing of the belt loops.

I will find some jeans that fit like I want and buy a pair or two to wear when I’m going out somewhere, but lately, I’ve been buying Liberty bib overalls.  I have a “belly band” holster for my EDC and they seem to last ‘til I set ‘em on fire when I’m welding!!  :ph34r: :o :lol:

I's just like to find jeans that are close to the sizes on the label (I bought three pair of Wrangler, all labelled 36x30 and two were closer to 32x30), have pockets that are deep enough for my trash, and have a watch pocket that doesn't have the opening so high up that it is under my belt and can't be reached short to dropping my britches.  Boot Barn and C.A. L. Ranch seem to be the only game in town, because no one else has anyone working there that will bother helping me.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I was buying Blue Mountain jeans from TSC.  They were pretty sturdy and the price was good, but the last three pairs I bought had defective zippers that failed within a few weeks.

Rustlers have been around for a while and I have had a few pairs. They held up pretty well, but I wasn’t happy with the fit.

Carhart are okay, but some of them have a weird spacing of the belt loops.

I will find some jeans that fit like I want and buy a pair or two to wear when I’m going out somewhere, but lately, I’ve been buying Liberty bib overalls.  I have a “belly band” holster for my EDC and they seem to last ‘til I set ‘em on fire when I’m welding!!  :ph34r: :o :lol:

They have got to fit, thanks for the Blue Mountain tip - bibs don't fit my "style profile" even at my age, and just working on the property.

2 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

When you can find them.

Thanks for taking the time, had a couple of pairs of those.  They were durable, but fit me about as well as a gunny sack.  I decided now that I'm old I don't need to drink cheap booze or wear clothes that don't fit.

Just now, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Levi 501

I hold a grudge.  I always liked those but back in the mid '80's they came out anti gun.  Scroom, they haven't got a dime from me since.  I know it doesn't matter to them, but it does to me.  In any case thank you for the suggestion.

I buy rustlers at Walmart. But most places carry em as a cheaper option.

Might not be form fit but I work in a rough environment and they wear well

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

I buy rustlers cheap and wear em til they die

Walmart house brand. But like Blackwater says the fit leave something to be desired. They're kind of baggy in the butt, and my butt looks big enough that I don't need any help there.

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I's just like to find jeans that are close to the sizes on the label (I bought three pair of Wrangler, all labelled 66x30 and two were closer to 32x30)

66x30? Something we need to know Forty?

It could be my shape, but I spend all day pulling my Wranglers up to avoid wardrobe malfunctions.  They look to be sewn on a straight tapered manaquin without any real waistline reduction.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

I hold a grudge.  I always liked those but back in the mid '80's they came out anti gun.  Scroom, they haven't got a dime from me since.  I know it doesn't matter to them, but it does to me.  In any case thank you for the suggestion.

Yep. but they are good jeans. I have pairs 10 y/o.

Take a look at Diamond Gusset.  USA made.  Exceptional quality and true to size.  One of their products is the Defender Motorcycle Jean.  All critical areas reenforced with Aramid.  Designed to protect but also wears like iron.

Not inexpensive but will definitely replace several pairs of what you are buying now.

Sold out of Lynchburg, TN.  I have nine pair consisting of several different styles.

They solidly stand behind their products.

Next month when we visit Jack Daniels, I will be buying a couple more.

Regards,

Chas B 

Whatever is on the rack at my local thrift store.  At $3.00 a pair, if they wear out in a year, I'm good with that.  Currently have a mix of Wrangler, Rustler and Lee.  I have one pair of Levi 501 that were given to me about 12-15 years ago.  They fit me better than any other pair I own, but I won't buy them retail because of Levi's politics.

Interesting conversation. I wear my Wrangler Pro Rodeos pretty regularly and they seem to hold up just fine. I know Mrs. Doc has some Cinch jeans and they seem to do well also, but I haven't tried their men's jeans.

Carhartt While not jeans, thy are a rugged work pant.

I do not really hold a grudge against Levi's 501s (but do recognize concerns).

I switched due to carrying. My holster does not block the side pocket on Carhartts, and the belt loops keep the belt and holster in place when I need to undo my belt buckle for periodic "personal business." 501s failed on both of these factors.

9 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Interesting conversation. I wear my Wrangler Pro Rodeos pretty regularly and they seem to hold up just fine. I know Mrs. Doc has some Cinch jeans and they seem to do well also, but I haven't tried their men's jeans.

This is a recent thing with the Wranglers.  A pair of their Retro, worn just for dress, fabric failed next to the wallet pocket, a pair of 936 where my clipped jackknife wore through the watch pocket - that never happened before. Same knife and carry position for a dozen years at least.  A nearly new pair of 936 Slim where after just a few wearings the back of the pants cuff is failing.  Yes, if you wear jeans stacked that always happens but not this fast.  The denim on these last 3 sets is just fragile.  

Got a lot of suggestions, next time in town, I'll try a few different brands, buy a couple of the best fitting.  Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

14 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Walmart house brand. But like Blackwater says the fit leave something to be desired. They're kind of baggy in the butt, and my butt looks big enough that I don't need any help there.

66x30? Something we need to know Forty?

Yeah!  You need to know I have  dyslexic keyboard.  :P

2 hours ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

Take a look at Diamond Gusset.  USA made.  Exceptional quality and true to size.  One of their products is the Defender Motorcycle Jean.  All critical areas reenforced with Aramid.  Designed to protect but also wears like iron.

Not inexpensive but will definitely replace several pairs of what you are buying now.

Sold out of Lynchburg, TN.  I have nine pair consisting of several different styles.

They solidly stand behind their products.

Next month when we visit Jack Daniels, I will be buying a couple more.

Regards,

Chas B 

Looks like the bottom of the belt loop is the same as the top of the watch pocket.

I don't know if these have been mentioned but I exclusively wear Duluth Firehose pants.

If only wore one pair out and that was snaging them on nails, the hole hasent even gotten bigger.

They also have a different pattern in the crotch, super easy to bend and squat.

They ain't cheap but I don't wear anything else.

Archived