SASS Wire Forum

Parents Will Be Told To Umpire

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/living/story/town-forces-argumentative-parents-umpires-league-games-98810329

"

So now, the Little League officials in Deptford Township have created an innovative new solution to combat the trend. If a parent or another spectator fights with an umpire, they have to volunteer to officiate themselves for at least three upcoming games.

"You’re not allowed to come onto our complex until you complete three umpire assignments. Once you do that, then we’ll let you come back," Bozzuffi explained."

"If the rule goes into effect and someone has to volunteer to suit up, Deptford Little League officials say a certified umpire will also be on the baseball field to make sure any calls are correct. The local organizers say the point is for parents to see what it's like on the field and how the job might not be as easy as it looks."

Parents do give problems at times....One lady I new said they moved the parents seating to the out fields...Left and right....None behind the home plate.....The kids loved it...Parents not so happy but less problems  by them....

Texas Lizard

The first parent I saw that acted like a complete ass at a sports event was my Aunt Helen at my cousin’s wrestling matches. I was blown away. My sweet Aunt Helen going apes*** over middle school wrestling and her perception of things from the stands. Wow!

Years ago I was invited to help out with my daughter’s baseball team. I worked really weird hours and I was always tired. I only got to attend and help out for a few games. Then one day I was called and told “Hey, what a relief! We have all the help we need now. No need to come help out any more.” related to me in way over the top cheeriness.

Apparently telling a noisy parent to “Sit the **** down and shut the **** up or I will shut you up!” Didn’t go well with the snotty sonsof…uh, people at the prior game. 
I made it to the 5th inning before yelling at the guy. I should have gotten a patience trophy or something. :rolleyes:

We have various wintertime junior sports here and amongst them is Rugby League (look it up).

The organizers, having a bit of difficulty getting "unbiased" referee's for all these games from amongst the parents and friends embarked on a program that trained 15-16 year-olds to be future referees. This would become a stepping stone for their future and supply a pool of qualified referees for the game.

One of these young 16yo gentlemen was refereeing a game and the Grandmother of one of the players decided that she didn't like a ruling that was made against her grandson (little angel that he was) so she marched out onto the field and expressed her displeasure with her umbrella, ....

....... several/multiple times; ..... all during the game and in front of God and everyone.

I believe she had to appear before a Magistrate, ....... I do not know the outcome of the hearing, but I think she was banned from that playing field complex.

:mellow:

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I believe she had to appear before a Magistrate, ....... I do not know the outcome of the hearing, but I think she was banned from that playing field complex.

:mellow:

Good.  These morons should be hauled before the bar.  Every time.

I think this would invite more arguments. I would just kick them out for at least the next 2 or 3 games period. 

My wife and I now live near home where most of our family live. We have 4 great nephews born to my nephew and his wife. 3 of those great nephews play in various team sports. 
Last Fall we were invited to numerous football games at the high school field in my nephew’s town. The town is so small and tight knit that if I mentioned the town somehow this would get back to my nephew and his wife. Not kidding. 
Anyway, when I go to these games I refuse to sit in the stands due to my niece and her friends screaming at the top of her lungs at the players, coaches and the refs on the field.  I go hang out at the fence somewhere away from that noise. 
My nephew is a coach in all 3 of the boy’s teams and numerous times he has received the wrath of his wife over things that occurred on the field after the game was over. 

Apparently he is still trying to figure out how to deal with her after 12 or 13 years of marriage. :unsure:

Archived