SASS Wire Forum

Amish getting it done

Dirty Dan Dawkins

There's been some other vids of them moving barns that way!! These boys seemed to be having fun! Just walkin and BSing along!

I would differ. Look Amish to me compared to Mennonites around here. No mennonites here speak German or Dutch or whatever it is. But I wasn’t there.

Reading some of the YouTube channels comments it was an Amish community. 

Sure put a bunch of horses and mules out of work.

Saw an Amish community up around Payette, Idaho build a barn when I was a little kid.....probably around 1951.  All wood except for window glass and some  hardware like hinges and such. but it was all made on the farm.

It was all ready to assemble and took about a day to put it up and another day to paint it and feed about a hundred people who did the work, made the food, and took care of the old folks and little kids.

23 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I would differ. Look Amish to me compared to Mennonites around here. No mennonites here speak German or Dutch or whatever it is. But I wasn’t there.

Reading some of the YouTube channels comments it was an Amish community. 

Amish won't let you photograph them. In Pennsylvania at least.

19 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Cameras, Drones, Chain saws, pick-ups, fiberglass insulation, aluminum windows.......Amish be getting modern.

When my dad built his house about 25 years ago he had an Amish business build and install all his kitchen cabinets and countertops. Excellent work, they had dewalt power tools and showed up in a 3/4 ton van pulling a trailer. But they did have a hired driver. Apparently they aren’t supposed to drive cars. But they did own the van . 

The Amish live in what is called districts instead of parishes. Each district is lead by a bishop selected by the congregation and is probably only a few dozen families surrounding a school. The bishop makes the rules staying within the basic guidelines of the Amish community. What is approved in one district may be totally different than the next when it comes to modern life.Some are very liberal some some  very strict conservative. 

Locally I’ve seen Amish using gas push mowers for their lawn and the manual reel mowers. Haven’t seen any using a tractor on a farm yet, just horses. The local Amish store has the biggest selection of propane refrigerators, lights and stoves I’ve ever seen in one place. It’s also the cheapest place around to get your propane tank filled. Allot of the locals dislike them, I’ve never had a problem with them but I can understand the points some people make 

Hired Amish to do some tree work and fuel abatement for me.  I had experience supervising that kind of thing.  They did use chainsaws, brought a bunch of folks, including wives and daughters, and got the work done faster than any crew I ever saw before.  Not cheap, but those folks can work.  They were very pleasant and nice to deal with as well.

I sold an old wringer washer my mom had to a guy who removes the electric motors and replaces them with a gas motor and sells them to the Amish. Apparently they’re okay with gas but not electric!:wacko:

Archived