SASS Wire Forum

Jerry Springer dead at 79

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Never watched him, big time liberal! Mayor of Cincinnati for awhile, oh well RIP 

I watched his show a few times and I agree with his view of it:

“I think [the show is] silly, crazy and has no redeeming social value other than an hour of escapism,” he said in 2010. “There is never anything on our show that hasn’t been on the front pages of newspapers in America. The only difference is that the people on my show aren’t famous.”

Why did I try watching it?  To see if I could figure out why and how it was so popular.   Basically, an emotionally charged Dumb and Dumber or Jackass.  Not for me.

May he rest in peace.

I seem to remember the Former Missus Hardpan seeming a mite unappreciative when I told her "You missed a phone call - the Jerry Springer staff's been trying to reach you...."  :rolleyes:

Jerry Springer was the modern equivalent of the carnival freak show barker. He brought together the most out-there oddities of the human race who were willing to share their outlandish mess on a National stage, and he made good money doing it. 

I always found it interesting that his time slots were late morning or early afternoon, when most honest workers were at their jobs. The few times I caught a piece of his shows, I also noticed that most of his advertisers were ambulance chasing lawyers. 

Told me a lot about his target audience. 

He had some big dudes as security guards for the crazy people attacking each other. I watched a few times and I could only take a few minutes of it! Bizarre people!

Steve Wilkos has a show like Springer, in fact he was a security guard on that show. 

Archived