SASS Wire Forum

Start calling them on it…BS gun prices on forums

Pat Riot

I was just in a pawn shop the other day and noticed a fluted stainless barrel AR purple annodizing or possibly cerakote with magpul furniture for $700 out the door. I said 2 decades ago that was a 2000$ custom build". It be fun to get a 420$ AR and run around 3-4K rounds through it in one weekend and compare to something like a Gieselle Super Duty.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The one that brings out the werewolf though are the guys that get called on “I can build an AR for $450-$500.” When pressed on this claim they admit it was either years ago or they buy parts in bulk on sale OR they try and brow beat you into submission. I enjoy that. I really do. I like to irk ‘em."

lower: https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-complete-lower-assembly-no-stock-multi-caliber-black-anodized.html

upper: https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/556-7-5-parkerized-m4-barrel-1-7-twist-pistol-7-handguard-sc-nrail-upper.html

less than $400... Not trying to pick a fight, just saying it can be done pretty easily... Not bad rifles either, I had one but lost it overboard in a deep sea fishing trip over the Marianas trench...

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Condition can affect price.

maxresdefault.jpg

Little, well maybe a lot of Kroil and steel wool, she'll be fine.:lol:

You just need a program that cross references death notices with gun club and NRA membership. Then vulture the widow’s. And yes I’m joking, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out someone is doing it. 

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

You just need a program that cross references death notices with gun club and NRA membership. Then vulture the widow’s. And yes I’m joking, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out someone is doing it. 

Interesting point.  How many funeral bills have been paid by trade of a firearms collection?

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Interesting point.  How many funeral bills have been paid by trade of a firearms collection?

Allot of the people I know have given collections to family and friends. But I would guess a few 

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Dark, man. Really dark, but humorous in a sick way. It sounds like the premise of a comedy starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dark, man. Really dark, but humorous in a sick way. It sounds like the premise of a comedy starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. :lol:

Allot of business dealings are dark. I certainly don’t think I’m the first person to think of it. And don’t doubt someone is already doing it. What was the name of that movie where Will Ferrell crashes funeral’s to pick up women. Money and sex seems to be what makes the world go round rather than love and compassion unfortunately. 

24 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Allot of business dealings are dark. I certainly don’t think I’m the first person to think of it. And don’t doubt someone is already doing it. What was the name of that movie where Will Ferrell crashes funeral’s to pick up women. Money and sex seems to be what makes the world go round rather than love and compassion unfortunately. 

I actually knew 2 guys that did exactly what you mentioned. Trolling widows for guns. They played it off like they were”just helping out”. The thing that really bugged me was they had a coworker that committed suicide. They “helped” the widow out by selling her dead husband’s guns for her. They kept a few. About a year later they were bragging to me about what a smokin’ deal they got those guns for. I let them know what I thought of them. We didn’t hang out much after that. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I actually knew 2 guys that did exactly what you mentioned. Trolling widows for guns. They played it off like they were”just helping out”. The thing that really bugged me was they had a coworker that committed suicide. They “helped” the widow out by selling her dead husband’s guns for her. They kept a few. About a year later they were bragging to me about what a smokin’ deal they got those guns for. I let them know what I thought of them. We didn’t hang out much after that. 

The reverse of that story is a widow I know who believed what her deceased husband told her about the value of his guns.  She offered a H&R 9 shot 22 for $400, and wanted $5500 for a pair of extremely worn 3rd gen Colts.  I wished her well with her sales and made a hasty retreat.  

19 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Rock Island 1911's are gi spec. Originally built on US tools and dies moved to the Phillipines to support the pacific front in wwii.

Are they Wilson combat or other hoity toity manufacturers? Nope but a solid gun is a solid gun.

One of the more accurate and dependable handguns I ever owned was an RIA 1911 GI spec. Fixed sights. I like 1911’s but I am not enamored with them and really do not desire to ever have another.
Pard I sold it to told me he was surprised at its accuracy, changed the springs and I believe it was a Sig this particular gun forced to the shelf for his use in Steel Challenge. Glock and Sig loony heads exploded at its introduction to the firing line he expressed. Knowing gun snobs and the unnecessary pecker swinging contests they like to start, I’m sure when he outperformed someone of those ranks, I am certain it was expressed as due to an “off day” or “bad batch of ammo” or “defective magazine or spring”, or the classic “ I was trying too hard.”

That was a $300 gun new at the time. The factory 8 round mags suck and were its only mechanical flaw. It would cycle anything with Wilson mags and ragged hole at 25-30’

I know he has since sold it. Kinda for my reasons- had its day in the sun, then the safe- time to move on.

I sold a pair of CMMG lowers NIB for like $200 or $300 each. I originally paid $100 each.

This all thanks to Adam Lanza 

Ar’s proved to be a complete turnoff for me anyway. Wish I had more to sell at the time.

Best deal I had on a gun was a model 60 for $50. More so it has been the enjoyment I’ve had, not the price. Neighbor had cancer and an estate sale to fund the impact it all had on his personal finances. I was 15-16 years old. I don’t think I appreciated the situation  or true extent of his generosity at the time.

I got skunked on a Navy Arms early production 1866 no one wanted to buy or work on.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I know a couple local gunshops that are actually pretty good that I’ve sent people to. One will buy them all outright or put them on consignment for you. Just a matter of how quickly you want your money. It can be a complex thing. One of my friends wives was the executor of her father’s estate. He was a farmer with 13 children. Some of them were actually demanding their money right after the funeral others tried raiding the farm equipment with no legal claim. None of them had wanted the farm so everything had to be sold. It Was a mess, I felt sorry for her having to deal with them. 

20 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The reverse of that story is a widow I know who believed what her deceased husband told her about the value of his guns.  She offered a H&R 9 shot 22 for $400, and wanted $5500 for a pair of extremely worn 3rd gen Colts.  I wished her well with her sales and made a hasty retreat.  

I don’t think that’s all that uncommon. Unless someone has traded allot of guns they usually don’t have much of a grasp on their value. I used the buy all of the guns for the Gander Mountain I worked for many moons ago and never met too many people happy with the price I told them. Unless they were regular horse traders. And we actually paid more than the majority of gunshops in the area. At the time they only wanted to make 20% on used guns as long as it was something that was warrantable and would move fairly fast. 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I know a couple local gunshops that are actually pretty good that I’ve sent people to. One will buy them all outright or put them on consignment for you. Just a matter of how quickly you want your money. It can be a complex thing. One of my friends wives was the executor of her father’s estate. He was a farmer with 13 children. Some of them were actually demanding their money right after the funeral others tried raiding the farm equipment with no legal claim. None of them had wanted the farm so everything had to be sold. It Was a mess, I felt sorry for her having to deal with them. 

It’s very nice when you can help people out and it’s nice to get an honest and decent price on a gun that must be sold.

The guys I mentioned were downright low about their “help”. Just thinking about them elevates my BP. 
In Oregon I helped a lady with getting her guns to a good honest gun store to sell them after her husband passed. The guys at the store gave her very good prices on her guns. That made me feel good and it helped her. She only had one gun I was interested is but I didn’t even mention it after I found out they offered her a more than adequate price for it. 

Thinking about mortality, and selling by heirs, IMHO the best compromise is a list with the gun, serial number, date of manufacture, and condition.  Maybe a code for popularity / rarity. If you are into photography, a few photos of each on a thumb drive. Prices change too fast for that to be of much use.  A brief paragraph on how to get a feel for current prices. The other, consideration, where are boxes, spare magazines, etc. since those can boost value considerably.

We just took in an estate for a family in exactly this situation. My Boss is a class act and is taking a lower than average commission for the lady.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Thinking about mortality, and selling by heirs, IMHO the best compromise is a list with the gun, serial number, date of manufacture, and condition.  Maybe a code for popularity / rarity. If you are into photography, a few photos of each on a thumb drive. Prices change too fast for that to be of much use.  A brief paragraph on how to get a feel for current prices. The other, consideration, where are boxes, spare magazines, etc. since those can boost value considerably.

Accessories definitely up the ante, when the AWB was still in effect standard capacity magazines were worth a fortune. The same way for the ridiculous prices on machine guns all because of government regulations. In this market who knows what the future will hold 

On 4/26/2023 at 9:44 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How about the others? I could really use an inexpensive Quality DA revolver…or SA, I’m not picky. ;)

The Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldog. Around $400 or. Fits the bill, and I believe you have pondered it before....

On 4/26/2023 at 9:44 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How about the others? I could really use an inexpensive Quality DA revolver…or SA, I’m not picky. ;)

The Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldog. Around $400 or. Fits the bill, and I believe you have pondered it before....

19 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

When my wife worked at a LGS an elderly woman brought in her recently deceased husband's guns.  Handguns just tossed in a satchel.  Most still loaded.  Then she asked for help with the rest.  Long guns were in a duffle bag.  Of interest were a couple of Arisakas that still had the Chrysanthemum.   But the real prize was a Japanese light machine gun that wasn't dimiled.  The cops that were in the store carefully looked away.  A box was found that it would fit in, and she was gently told that it was illegal to have it in California, she should contact the Japanese Counselate in San Francisco to see about repatriating it.  

She was given a fair, maybe slightly generous, gun shop price for all the rest.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

When my wife worked at a LGS an elderly woman brought in her recently deceased husband's guns.  Handguns just tossed in a satchel.  Most still loaded.  Then she asked for help with the rest.  Long guns were in a duffle bag.  Of interest were a couple of Arisakas that still had the Chrysanthemum.   But the real prize was a Japanese light machine gun that wasn't dimiled.  The cops that were in the store carefully looked away.  A box was found that it would fit in, and she was gently told that it was illegal to have it in California, she should contact the Japanese Counselate in San Francisco to see about repatriating it.  

May a private California seller ship to an out of state FFL like a citizen of the rest of the country?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

When I lived in CA I demilled a couple machine guns that were turned in to police departments in the same manner . The Gunsmithing college I went to had and still does have a law enforcement armourers course every summer for full autos. I always tried to make it out for the range day. I got to shoot a MP40 that was acquired in the same manner. 
Im sure it gives anti gun government officials the heebe jeebes to guess how many of these guns are out there. They always seemed to be from WW2, Korea and Vietnam widows that had no idea what they had. My understanding is it was harder to bring home guns during Vietnam. But one former MP told me you could ship just about anything home if you could find 2 MP’s to sign off . One police officer told me a widow turned in a foot locker full of claymore’s and hand gernade’s , I can only imagine the stir that would cause today. 

Two of the guns I demilled were a AK and a K-50m, the K50 looked allot like a PPSH 41, made me want to cry every time I demilled a gun. We also demilled guns for the CHP and a couple departments. RG’s and Jennings never bothered me but the nicer guns certainly did. CA feels if a gun was involved in a crime it’s now inherently evil and must be destroyed. I still have nightmares about cutting up a couple Python’s :( 

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

May a private California seller ship to an out of state FFL like a citizen of the rest of the country?

I don't think there was or is a way for a person in California to legally transfer it to anyone other than surrender to police to be destroyed.   And even that could lead to huge legal problems given how anti-gun our CADOJ is.  I can just see the headlines about how this full semi-auto, automatic machine weapon of mass destruction was taken off the streets.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:23 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

I got a couple of Garands before the CMP raised the prices that I feel pretty good about. Especially when you see what they go for at the gun shows, retail stores and gunbroker 

I looked into getting a CMP about 6 months ago and they're prices went up. You can now also only get their rack or field grade,  that's it. I didn't feel like shopping gun shows so I went ahead and put in the order and paid for a field grade.  Soon after they then contacted me and said it would be an 18-24 month wait. Well I wasn't tying up $1250 for 2 years so I canceled the order. About 6 weeks later (just before this past Christmas) a guy I work with who I get him deals on guns and do FFL transfers for, and also fix his guns when needed asked if I knew anyone looking for a M1 Garand. I said yes, me. He had bought a CMP collector grade 10 years earlier and it sat in the box, under his bed, never taken out. I asked how much and he said,  "Well, it also comes with 1000rds of the Prvi Partizan 30.06 M1 Garand special loaded ammo".  I'm like, OK, how much? He said would you give me $650 for it? I said do you know how much that rifle is worth now. He said he gathered it was worth more but that's roughly what he paid for it and he was happy to get that. I actually wrote a check right then and he brought it in the next day. Sometimes it good to be in the right place at the right time. The ammo is in the corner with the rifle pic. The ad is what it was selling for the day I bought the gun. 

JEL20220926_191848.thumb.jpg.4cb208e08e34e20a66b963813c6482ec.jpgScreenshot_20220926_193011_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1b3c17ac001e8d019f0179f57414c58d.jpg

12 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

I looked into getting a CMP about 6 months ago and they're prices went up. You can now also only get their rack or field grade,  that's it. I didn't feel like shopping gun shows so I went ahead and put in the order and paid for a field grade.  Soon after they then contacted me and said it would be an 18-24 month wait. Well I wasn't tying up $1250 for 2 years so I canceled the order. About 6 weeks later (just before this past Christmas) a guy I work with who I get him deals on guns and do FFL transfers for, and also fix his guns when needed asked if I knew anyone looking for a M1 Garand. I said yes, me. He had bought a CMP collector grade 10 years earlier and it sat in the box, under his bed, never taken out. I asked how much and he said,  "Well, it also comes with 1000rds of the Prvi Partizan 30.06 M1 Garand special loaded ammo".  I'm like, OK, how much? He said would you give me $650 for it? I said do you know how much that rifle is worth now. He said he gathered it was worth more but that's roughly what he paid for it and he was happy to get that. I actually wrote a check right then and he brought it in the next day. Sometimes it good to be in the right place at the right time. The ammo is in the corner with the rifle pic. The ad is what it was selling for the day I bought the gun. 

JEL20220926_191848.thumb.jpg.4cb208e08e34e20a66b963813c6482ec.jpgScreenshot_20220926_193011_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1b3c17ac001e8d019f0179f57414c58d.jpg

For anyone interested in a Garand if you can get there the North store, South store or the Talladega store typically have more of selection than what is online. If you go to the CMP forum people typically report on the current inventory after visiting. FYI have your paperwork in order before you go. Even with the price increase unless you come across a deal like this it’s still the best way to get a Garand 

On 4/26/2023 at 2:11 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Garbage

I have one of the RIA M206 revolvers with the shrouded hammer. Well built gun. Trigger is way better than that a a Ruger LCR. They are safe for +P 38 Specials.

Replaced the grips and it is an excellent carry gun that is fun to shoot. 

49 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have one of the RIA M206 revolvers with the shrouded hammer. Well built gun. Trigger is way better than that a a Ruger LCR. They are safe for +P 38 Specials.

You are the first person I have heard give their revolvers a good review. I am glad you found a good one. 

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

May I ask how many rounds you've put through it?  Any frame stretch or cylinder gap growth?

Archived