SASS Wire Forum

Start calling them on it…BS gun prices on forums

Pat Riot

Is anyone else getting tired of online Nimrods in various forums claiming they can buy desirable guns for really low prices?

”I can get used S&W models 19s for $350 where I live”

”I can get a new Glock 17 for $400…”

”I wouldn’t pay $600 for a Ruger Blackhawk ’cause I can find them at $300-$400 all day long.”

I have been calling people out on these claims. I do it nicely. I just ask if they wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction to get these prices. Quite often my post is ignored. Sometimes they come back with “Well, it was a one time deal.” Or “That was some time ago” If they get belligerent then I just call them out requesting details. THEN they usually ignore me after that. 

The one that brings out the werewolf though are the guys that get called on “I can build an AR for $450-$500.” When pressed on this claim they admit it was either years ago or they buy parts in bulk on sale OR they try and brow beat you into submission. I enjoy that. I really do. I like to irk ‘em.

it’s my opinion that if more people started calling these guys out, this culture would change or maybe these guys wouldn’t propagate “urban legends”. I have actually had guys admit they were just repeating what they had heard elsewhere. One gent admitted his claims were from an experience he had many years prior. I guess buying a $200 S&W model 10 twenty years prior kind of sticks with you…

I often wonder how many arguments or bad blood emanated from someone taking info from a gun forum to heart and tried to get a lower price on a gun by using the false claims of an Internet Nimrod to justify their position on a price.-_-

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think it’s ever going away. I have see $400 glocks though. They are usually police trade ins. Everyone seems to love talking about the deal they got on a gun. And I have seen people get them, but it’s usually by taking advantage of someone that doesn’t know their actual worth. Or the seller has got themselves into a situation where they need cash bad. I’ve had people tell me the prices they have paid for guns from widows that I would have been ashamed of myself if I had done. I know allot of people think it’s just business but if I wasn’t paying what a gunshop would buy it for I’d feel like I’m taking advantage of the person. 

Trouble is, many people talk about a deal they got as if it was normally that price. In November I got a Glock 48 MOS for $385. 25% off, but that was because the range/shop I belonged to was going out of business. Because of that I don’t go on forums saying things like “I can get Glock 48 MOS’s for $385!” as if it’s the norm. 

There will always be the one time deals or steals...widows, someone strapped for cash, heir sell offs and the like. Truth is that there haven't been any deals on firearms ever since 2020 with the plague, Floyd crap, BLM riots and election fallout. Primers, gunpowder, parts and components fall into the "no good deals" category also.

I don't visit many forums, but I hear about the "great deals" while at the range. Under subtle questioning, they aren't such great deals or were made long ago. Just last week a guy with a Universal M1 Carbine was telling me about his "great deal" on the Carbine...$1,100...it was all I could do to not laugh.

Yes, tired of unrealistic prices both ways.  People claiming they can buy an R92 for $300 then trying to sell theirs for $1,200.  There are occasional deals out there.  Last weekend I had arranged to buy a benchrest rifle for $450 which was worth $1,200.  He didn’t like the rifle and wanted it gone regardless of the current value.  These deals are uncommon.

Those AR prices are realistic for us non California people.  I can assemble a budget AR for $385 plus scope right now.  Buy a budget AR from a retailer in the low $400s.

could have built two ARs for between $400-500, each. I would need to do the math to see exactly how much. IF I had purchased two stripped Anderson Lowers when they were on sale and used my employee discount when I worked behind the gun counter, and IF I had taken my time and watched and waited for sales at Aero Precision and taken advantage of their veteran discount. But why would I do that? I mean, nobody needs an AR, Right? Of course that would have meant building them over a period of time, so mileage may vary.

I think people tend to want to believe they got a good deal, or to justify their reasoning for not buying something.

41 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Those AR prices are realistic for us non California people.  I can assemble a budget AR for $385 plus scope right now.  Buy a budget AR from a retailer in the low $400s.

Where?

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Where?

Here’s $500 plus shipping and FFL fees , so I would imagine if you hunt enough you would find $450 pretty easy for some no name gun . But to me not all AR’s are the same. 
There are exceptional guns that are cheap and expensive guns that aren’t that great. But for the most part in the gun industry you get what you pay for. 
https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/semi-auto-rifles/anderson-m4-556-reflex-optic-package.html

looked a little more here’s $460

https://www.cdnnsports.com/radical-firearms-socom-ar15-5-56-rpr-rail-system-radrf00028.html

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, you can find deals, but they are not the norm as portrayed by some folks online. 

Agreed, but I don’t see what I posted above as a deal it’s just a bottom end AR quality wise for a bottom end price . It would be a Yugo if it was a car 

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, you can find deals, but they are not the norm as portrayed by some folks online. 

I've checked at least once a year since Obama and been able to build one for $330-425.  It is the norm for entry level. Retail prices have varied for complete rifles.

Hell, anymore I consider actually finding the gun I want a bargain. :D

Now, if I could only narrow my want list down to a manageable figure. ^_^

Okay AR’s are settled. 

How about the others? I could really use an inexpensive Quality DA revolver…or SA, I’m not picky. ;)

Can’t get a much cheaper revolver that works 

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/handguns/rugerr-wranglerr-22lr-bronze-birdshead-grip.html

If you feel like spending more it looks like Vaquero’s are coming back in stock, if I remember correctly pre plandemic they were about $725, this must be the new normal 

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/handguns/rugerr-vaqueror-357-4-6inch-hi-gloss-stainless.html

Gents, I am not talking about cheap CRAP guns. I am talking about people claiming to buy QUALITY firearms on the cheap. I don’t consider Anderson Arms, RIA, Wranglers, etc to be quality guns. 

Well, Palmetto AR-15 for 499.99, but no sights included:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-pa-15-16-nitride-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-classic-ar-15-rifle-with-13-5-m-lok-rail-black.html?avad=194130_e301d7739&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=el

Admittedly a blem at that price, but Palmetto is not junk. Not high end, but not junk.

Rock Island 1911's are gi spec. Originally built on US tools and dies moved to the Phillipines to support the pacific front in wwii.

Are they Wilson combat or other hoity toity manufacturers? Nope but a solid gun is a solid gun.

8 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Well, Palmetto AR-15 for 499.99, but no sights included:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-pa-15-16-nitride-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-classic-ar-15-rifle-with-13-5-m-lok-rail-black.html?avad=194130_e301d7739&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=el

Admittedly a blem at that price, but Palmetto is not junk. Not high end, but not junk.

Some of those seem to be overstock marked as blemished to keep from devaluing the brand.  

Archived