SASS Wire Forum

Tool to replace the base pin latch spring on a New Vaquero

Six-String Cowboy

I am replacing the springs in my New Vaqueros with Wolff spring kits. The hammer and trigger springs went in with no issues. The problem I'm having is I can't get remove the base pin latch to swap out the springs without a special tool. I haven't been able to find what I need online (I'm probably searching the wrong thing) and am hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. The only answer I've found so far is to take a screwdriver and grind a knotch down the center to make it "two pronged". I'd rather just have the right tool for the job but that's my last resort. Does anyone know if the tool exists, or do I have to just make one myself?

Everyone I know grinds a slot to make a split blade on the proper size screwdriver.  Never seen one for sale until now, but here's a wheeler bit:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007370095

(a 10 second search using google-foo)

BUT - looking closely at Midway site, it shows "discontinued"  - you may try directly asking Wheeler if they still have any stock of these.   Guessing the demand was real low for such a specialized bit.

good luck, GJ

There's also hints that some Ace Hardware stores carry "spanner screwdriver tips" but the exact maker of that was not mentioned in on-line posts about Ruger cylinder latch screw removal.

good luck, GJ

Hint - that hint came from a very useful discussion board for Single Actions:

https://singleactions.proboards.com

Grinding a slot in a bit is one of the few safe and recommended uses of a Dremel tool around single actions. :lol:

This is the bit from the Wheeler Gunsmithing Screwdriver set

IMG_20230425_122210281~2.jpg

It's easier and cheaper just to grind one.  Besides after changing the spring, how often are you going to remove the base pin latch after you have replaced the spring, unless you are a Ruger gunsmith that will be using the tool more often.  Just saying.:)

I got a couple of the Wheeler bits. They still needed to be ground as the blade part was too thick to fit the slot! Like said above, just grind/cut a slot in a regular bit. You're not likely to use it often.

Just as an FYI why do you want to replace the base pin latch spring?  On guns that shoot heavy loads it might make sense.  On puss load CAS guns if the base pin is not coming loose when you are shooting why mess with it?

@Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 The heavier springs came in my Wolff spring kit and I figured I might as well. Also, I am a huge fan of overkill. I don't ever want to have to worry about that base pin and what caliber I'm shooting. Even with the stronger spring the latch is not hard to manipulate so I'm not losing anything by swapping them out, except maybe an old screwdriver ;)

Had one of mine do it at my very first State match. Replaced the spring on both and no issues in years.

I had purchased a complete screwdriver just made for this, but I don't remember where I found it.  I have used it many times over the years as I go from one set of firearms to the next.

I believe this is the one Frontier Lone Rider is referring to:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/handgun-tools/ruger-sa-center-pin-latch-tool-d743f444/

Available but spendy…

YMMV

Vic

Iffin you Really Really Really need one, it's cheap seats.  If on the other hand, if your latch isn't broke, it's a mite spendy.  If on the other other hand you really like taking things apart, quite reasonable.  And, of course, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

On 4/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, Yellowstone Vic SASS#32968 said:

I believe this is the one Frontier Lone Rider is referring to:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/handgun-tools/ruger-sa-center-pin-latch-tool-d743f444/

Available but spendy…

YMMV

Vic

That is the one!

I must have bought it when I was ordering the complete Brownell's Screwdriver set.

Archived