SASS Wire Forum

Tennessee Governor

Lawdog Dago Dom

That's not good either. I know some folks/friends that take a couple of those and are perfectly fine. I would have no issue shooting with them.

Giving up HIPPA rights is a non-starter!!!! 

There are very good reasons that you have them!

I’m not happy with the calls for a special session in the first place.  Lee has opposed almost every anti-gun measure proposed before the Covenant shooting and mostly supported the pro gun rights legislation until now. 

Looking at this list of medications, I almost get the feeling that he’s trying to give the whiners their day and poisoning the legislation intentionally!

Trying to circumvent HIPPA is almost universally unacceptable.  Most of the liberals are likely to balk at this.

In any event, I have already emailed and phoned my representatives as well as the governor’s office to express my stern opposition to any such legislation!

Probable written correspondence WILL follow.

This is sounding like the histrionic crap coming from the AFA through the AFC. As I said above, give me links to actual proposed legislation. Don't let your buttons get pushed without real evidence.

But if you have documentation, I will jump to the head of the line to defend against it. Should I do so, please do not drown out my voice of reason with a tidal wave of hysteria.

58 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Wondering what prescriptions you would find in a legislator’s medicine cabinet?

Hmmmm.

In Hawaii, one (D) candidate running for National Office disclosed a medical condition that their (R) opponent had (which was being controlled through medication) to get a political edge. I was really disappointed that it didn't blow up in their face. They never would answer questions about how they acquired the information.

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

Great idea (sarcasm font), make people choose between able to protect themselves or receive treatment.   That won’t ever go wrong.   Bad idea all the way around. 

And there in lies the rub. We encourage folks going through a bad time to get help; unexpected death of a spouse or child, job loss, divorce, etc. Meet with a counselor to get back on track, as most do. But now you can’t hunt, shoot trap, etc. Damned if ya do, and if ya don’t.

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Got a citation (link) to actual proposed legislation?

And I'm not talking about the non-starter democrat proposals dead in committee, I mean something Lee says he would actually sign.

This was all I could find.

https://tennesseefirearms.com/2023/04/additional-red-flag-proposal-seeks-to-target-individuals-on-specific-prescriptions/

Good find, TFA added the proposed amendment to it's published information. What I have traced:

There was a bill proposed by republicans to extend the time for carry permit holders to report an address change; the proposal was to change from the current 60 days to 90 days. This was a pro-2A bill, but TFA considers any regulation a rights violation; from the TFA standpoint, loosening requirements on what is already considered an infringement is still an infringement.

Anyway, the bill went to the judiciary committee.

A democrat proposed an amendment to this bill which included the list of drugs. The amendment was not taken up for consideration. The amendment never even made it to the Tennessee website as the session was adjourned.

The TFA article only notes republican sponsors of the original bill. It does not mention the original bill was pro-2A, nor is there any mention of the democrat source of the anti-2A amendment.

There will be no further action at this point on any bill in any committee, the legislature has adjourned. Any bill not yet considered dies when the legislature adjourns. The late amendment will not be published because it is now dead, including the original bill.

Bill Lee may call a special session to consider legislation related to safety, which will likely include firearms. There is no date for this gathering. There is no legislation proposed for this gathering. Yes, any dead bill can come back in such a session or next year's session, many bills come back every year only to end up in the same procedural dead end.

Bill Lee did call for legislation which preserves all rights including due process; there was no indication he supports any existing bill. Reading between the lines, his call for preserving rights is more likely to be a criticism of currently proposed bills.

A remaining detail I have not researched is the publication dates of the news reports related to this dead amendment from the AFA, AFC, and TFA. Which one was first to stir emotions while leaving out critical details.

But there is likely to be a special session, and all of these bills will come back again in the new session next year. Stay alert, but read and research and dig into the underlying facts.

15 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Great idea (sarcasm font), make people choose between able to protect themselves or receive treatment.   That won’t ever go wrong.   Bad idea all the way around. 

Even a bit more into that, the listed Wellbutrin is a possible prescribed smoking cessation aid.

Archived