SASS Wire Forum

12 gauge shell taper,

dokdoc #61722

I need some advice on how you taper your reloaded 12 ga shells. I reload with a Mec 9000, AA used hulls.  What is the most gamer taper tool or technique.  Thank Doc 

PM Roger Rapid he sells one.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh good grief (stolen line from Charley Brown).  Not to be insulting (yes I am), but if you can't get 12Ga shotgun shells into 12Ga chambers, your in the wrong game.

Howdy CC.

Although I haven't experienced any issues using factory 12 ga. shells (AA), I have seen some factory

shells where the front portion has bulged outward enough to 'hinder' smooth insertions into the

chamber of a shotgun.   All the taper device seems to do is basically size the front of the shell

basically straight again and supply approx a slight taper, normally not even noticeable with

eye sight.

Hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1715-02

I keep the Slix Shotgun shell checker in my guncart and use it to check each shell and reform the crimped end if necessary prior to loading the shells into my belt.  Works great.  Sometimes my reloads relax a little and swell at the crimped end.  

I came across a box of 12 ga that were bulged, quite a few years ago. Ran them thru my reloader finish station, carefully, and they were good to go

I too use the Mec 9000 which gives a good crimp for Trap shooting etc... however when using the Junior for Cowboy it can be adjusted to give a really good deep  taper crimp  without  spending any extra $$....

12g Tapered Shell 004.JPG

12g Tapered Shell 002.JPG

10 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I too use the Mec 9000 which gives a good crimp for Trap shooting etc... however when using the Junior for Cowboy it can be adjusted to give a really good deep  taper crimp  without  spending any extra $$....

12g Tapered Shell 004.JPG

12g Tapered Shell 002.JPG

^ this. 

I have my crimp set a little deeper so it leaves a nice round lip. I use a 600jr though idk about the adjustability of a 9000

18 minutes ago, Cumberland Mtn John SASS#40593 said:

Kingsnake

Where did you buy the orange colored die?

Cumberland Mtn. John

Those are available from a number of vendors. If your hands are arthritic, you might have some difficulty as it takes a bit of hand strength to use. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=slix+shotshell+sizer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

51 minutes ago, Cumberland Mtn John SASS#40593 said:

Kingsnake

Where did you buy the orange colored die?

Cumberland Mtn. John

Scarlett sells them. 
You can also buy them direct from Slix. 

When I check the shells after reloading and they don't drop right in,. I use an old 3/4 inch deep socket.

Put the shell in and twist it a few times and bingo it'll drop right in the chamber.

I know, way to high tech, but it works and I carry it in my gun cart.

Coyote Kid

5 hours ago, Coyote Kid, SASS#54714 said:

When I check the shells after reloading and they don't drop right in,. I use an old 3/4 inch deep socket.

Put the shell in and twist it a few times and bingo it'll drop right in the chamber.

I know, way to high tech, but it works and I carry it in my gun cart.

Coyote Kid

Ok, I just tried that.  That's pure genius.  

On 4/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, dokdoc #61722 said:

I need some advice on how you taper your reloaded 12 ga shells. I reload with a Mec 9000, AA used hulls.  What is the most gamer taper tool or technique.  Thank Doc 

Put the quick loader die in the last crimping station on your 9000.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:58 PM, Ranger Dan said:

Put the quick loader die in the last crimping station on your 9000.

How many stations are on a 9000?  If it’s 6, the QL is not a substitute for the final Mec crimp die (perhaps I’ve misunderstood what you meant :)). All shells should be run through all of Mec’s dies before the QL is used. 

On my Mec 650, it’s easiest to finish a batch a shells, then replace the crimp starter die and individually size them with QL. Maybe it’s be easier to replace the final crimp die on a 9000. 

I contemplated mounting a taper die on my gun cart, but the cart is already weighted down with more than any sane shooter needs.

So I wondered how long the taper will last after being sized.

I machined my own taper die similar to the quickLoader dimensions (stamped it 12 ga to make it legal).

Then I bought on Ebay ($40) a used MEC 600 Jr loader, stripped off everything except the final crimp station, and mounted my taper die in Station 4 above the other (near) side of the shellplate.  I can quickly re-crimp, then taper/resize the loaded rounds. 

I made measurements, using Rem. STS green cases.

Here is the data-- these are averages, based on 25 rounds.

Factory crimped STS case with no taper:  0.783 across crimp.

Crimp diameters:

At time of taper resize:  0.749

1 hrs after:  0.749

12 hrs later:  0.751

24 hrs later:  0.751

7 days later:  0.752

60 days later: 0.755

90 days later:  0.767

So you be the judge whether or not to carry the taper tool around on your cart.

I note that I ran the measurements between December and March, in cold temperatures (stored in non-heated garage).  Warm season numbers may be very different.

I've included a couple pics:

Top shell in top photo is taper-resized.  Lower is simply crimped on my MEC 9000.

Lower photo shows arrangement on the used press frame.

20230426_202710.jpg

20230426_202528.jpg

5 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

How many stations are on a 9000?  If it’s 6, the QL is not a substitute for the final Mec crimp die (perhaps I’ve misunderstood what you meant :)). All shells should be run through all of Mec’s dies before the QL is used. 

On my Mec 650, it’s easiest to finish a batch a shells, then replace the crimp starter die and individually size them with QL. Maybe it’s be easier to replace the final crimp die on a 9000. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived