SASS Wire Forum

Factory 357 Mag ammo in Italian SAA revolvers?

Diamond Jake

I was just wondering if any of you have used factory 357 MAG ammo in Pietta or Uberti revolvers for non-CAS shooting, such as long distance target, hunting, or just for fun.  I was thinking of getting a double action 357 for such use, then thought why not just use cowboy action revolvers for that?  If these guns aren't really up to that (even though they say 357 Mag on the barrel) maybe I'll just load up some 38 Spl cases with 158 gr pills to 38 +P power levels.

(I think I'll use Berry's plated or jacketed ammo so I wouldn't accidentally take them to a SASS match.)

Your worries are TOTALLY unfounded.   For a gun to be sold in the US, it has to meet SAAMI pressure design levels (or the even more powerful CIP standards that European manufacturers use), and almost all FACTORY .357 magnum ammo that is sold is within SAAMI pressure levels too.   Has been that way since about 1927.   So, not really a new standard,

Yes, loading to fast .357 velocities with SASS type lead bullets will cause you some problems, like leading up the barrel.    A plated or jacketed load would help with that, too.

Why NOT use a cowboy revolver?   Well, if you need adjustable sights, I'd use a double action revolver.  But for most uses, a cowboy gun would work fine. All depends upon what your accuracy requirements and skills are.  And how far down you filed the front sights of a fixed-sight cowboy gun.....

good luck, GJ

Archived