SASS Wire Forum

The Law vs. the Outlaws

The Outlaw Travis James

I have an opportunity to host a cops vs cowboys match.

I am looking for examples. If you have experience with one of these matches, please comment about stages, posses, number of shooters, rules, etc.

I’ve shot a couple of them at the Texas Caballeros range. Checking with them would be a good start.  They had wooden frames with paper targets above the steel cowboy targets. They started with SG stoked, like WB matches. Same round count as the cowboys. 

I have a couple videos of stages. Here is an example and you can see the targets and how the cops stages guns. Ignore the awesome TO. 

IMG_7593.jpeg

Please keep me informed.

I've always wanted to shoot/host one of these matches.

If I could swing it I would love to shoot yours.

An example of one of the top cops from both matches I’ve shot with them.   If I remember correctly, the club worked out something where the cops got their ammo free for the match.   Big Iron Patnode shot with the cops one of the years. He would also be a good resource to check with. 

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

Ignore the awesome TO. 

Awesome job by the TO!

As the video showed, the cops were also limited to 5 rounds per magazine and had to make a magazine switch to make it more comparable to using two SA revolvers.

Also, all of the cowboy entrance fees (cop fees were waived) at the Texas Caballeros event was donated to a cop-friendly nonprofit.

Howdy OTJ.

I'd like to see the look on those LEO's faces when they see YOU, Arcadia, Haley and those other 97 shooters

run your shotguns on a stage.    You'll probably be faster than those with pre-loaded pumpers.

My guess is that their eyeballs will bulge a little.

Keep em smoking.

..........Widder

I shot one of these with the Mountain Valley Vigilantes (in Hot Springs Arkansas) against the Arkansas FBI SWAT/Hostage Recue team. The stoked their shotguns, changed mag's on their Sig pistola's their shotguns were shot on steel(don't remember what they were), And stoked HK MP 5's were their rifle(semi only) They shot pistol's on paper & paper for their MP 5's. Most of us shot double bbl shotguns. They brought a "ringer" shooter(USPSA maybe) He left after 2 stages(getting beat badly). We beat them like rented mules. They had fun as did we. No rematches though;)

Another option is 22 lr caliber AR rifles for the LEOs.

Then rifle steel can be used for both cowboy and cops with a rifle that is functionally close to their duty guns.

The cops are going to prefer round count sequences vs our sweeps.

Also no need to force mag changes - 10 rounds in a mag vs our two pistols is close enough to a level playing field.

Lastly involve the LEOs as much as possible in the match design to ensure you are not asking them to do anything contrary to their established practices and training. 

As their muscle memory will take over.

Lots of possible shooting alternatives, but I think it is important that the Cowboys use their cowboy weapons, and the Police use their duty weapons.

After the event, it is not uncommon for the police to shoot a stage or two using the cowboy weapons.

Years ago, we did this every year. It was a cowboy match. They could shoot whatever they wanted as long as it was lead on steel. They could load however they wanted. We really wanted to encourage them. It was great pr and fun. We won every year but one, too many misses for the cowboys.

We had one match, once.  Cops weren't that experienced with changing guns fast, Dropping and feeding mags fast etc. So the cowboys beat them hardly.

So you might have stages with one gun only.

Cowboys shoot Wildbunch guns so the mag changes equal out.

DOn't gloat over them with your speed.

Archived