SASS Wire Forum

Finally got one: Win 61 .22 cal

Fallon Kid

Finally found one and got it this afternoon. Winchester Model 61. S/N is early 1941. Looks in great shape and operates very smooth. Been on the hunt for one for a few years. Gonna run it tomorrow and put it through the paces. I remember shooting one with my Uncle in Texas gunning for jack rabbits. I thought I did pretty good then. We will see 65 years later.  Just wanted to share my happy time because my 4 little dogs don’t give a hoot. With all of you in spirit of the game. Jerry

win61a.jpg

win61b.jpg

Thanks Widder. I do have a henry 22 pump and works good but just does not have the slick feel of a Winchester and receiver seems a bit big for what it does. I been working on an old Premier gallery gun (actually Mossberg Model M   I think) I was 4 days filing and making a L/H extractor. Parts non existent for this.  Also I bought a magazine kit to make an inner tube. Takes time to get these old timers into good shape. That’s what we do. LOL Jerry

Just around the time I was born, my mother bought a Model 61 for my dad.  I inherited it about 20 years ago and it still looks brand new.  I only wish I knew how many bullets I sent down the barrel of that rifle when I was a kid.

I hope you enjoy your new rifle as much as I've enjoyed my dad's.

Jackalope

Great find!  I have a few in my collection and have been wanting to find a clean one in .22 MAG 

Enjoy!

My wife inherited one from he father 20 years ago.  He had acquired it from a hotel in Eureka CA in 1942.  The rifle was 5 years old in 1942.  The hotel had a gallery in the basement.  The gun's magazine cutoff lever & block had a lot of wear so by 1960's it had magazine feeding issues.  I.E. if more than 4 cartridges are in the magazine it would double feed.  It sat in his closet for years until we got it.  That's when I discovered the issue.  Took it to a gunsmith who replaced the magazine tube.  It didn't fix the problem; so, I bought a manual and dove into diagnosing the issue.  I replaced the cutoff lever; that didn't work.  At the time I couldn't find a replacement block.  It sat in my safe for more than 10 years until I found at one of the websites I checked at least once a year.  It required several assembly/disassembly file the cutoff lever cycles before it functioned properly.  I sent it home with my daughter.  Considering how many rounds must have been through it before my father in law acquired it has little blueing wear. 

Just an update. (4/23/23) Just back from our range testing this model 61 .22. Sweet  Sweet. Operates smooth and the only feed problem I had was yours truly. Gotta shoot it like you rented it, but in a smooth manner.  Thanks for listening to me.

I found (and bought) a Winchester 06 a while back.

I absolutely love it.

I wish you many happy days plinking with your new toy.

Archived