SASS Wire Forum

Air Fryer

Rye Miles #13621

Cooked a burger, chicken tomorrow. Easy peasy!

Anyone use these? Tips ??

31A786EF-1FE7-4EFB-8114-BDA49FC709A6.jpeg

Everybody raves about them, just like One Pot.  Bought one of those, read the directions and gave it to my son, who loves it.  Old Dog Syndrome, been cooking for a very long time, maybe not worth it to me to tech up.  I will say a pair of Thermopen thermometers I was gifted with are fantastic.  Be hard to do without them now.

49 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Everybody raves about them, just like One Pot.  Bought one of those, read the directions and gave it to my son, who loves it.  Old Dog Syndrome, been cooking for a very long time, maybe not worth it to me to tech up.  I will say a pair of Thermopen thermometers I was gifted with are fantastic.  Be hard to do without them now.

For people like me who hate to cook this is an easy way to do some healthy cooking, quick and uses less power than a stove or microwave. My son bought this for me, he loves his. 

My wife and I have one about the size of yours Rye. We used it often when we first got it. Clean up was a pain. We rarely use it now. 
It was convenient, but I would rather clean a skillet or pan than clean the air fryer. At least the one we have.
I was going to look at the brand we have but it’s packed in a box in the basement from our move last July. I guess, we truly don’t use it any longer. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife and I have one about the size of yours Rye. We used it often when we first got it. Clean up was a pain. We rarely use it now. 
It was convenient, but I would rather clean a skillet or pan than clean the air fryer. At least the one we have.
I was going to look at the brand we have but it’s packed in a box in the basement from our move last July. I guess, we truly don’t use it any longer. 

Cleaning this one is easy! Lyft the basket out and wash it with soap and a rag like a pot or pan. I’ve only used it once so I’ll see down the road how it is. I’m cooking chicken breasts tomorrow! 

We needed a new pressure cooker,  My wife also wanted an air fryer, so we got:

Amazon.com: Instant Pot Duo Crisp Ultimate Lid, 13-in-1 Air Fryer and Pressure  Cooker Combo, Sauté, Slow Cook, Bake, Steam, Warm, Roast, Dehydrate, Sous  Vide, & Proof, App With Over 800 Recipes, 6.5

Might not be as good an air fryer as a dedicated air fryer, but we really like it.  French fries, egg rolls, crispy pot stickers, baked potatoes, pressure cooked pork, rissotto.  I tried baking in it - that will have a learning curve.  

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dang, @Subdeacon Joe that control panel looks like it takes some training to master. :D

Mostly squinting to read the blasted thing.  It's surprisingly intuitive.

Pick the function, then you use the control knob and and buttons right around it to set time and temperature.

Screenshot_20230422-173137-101.thumb.png.d584a8b3a40fd44099ad3950ab26572c.png

Oh!  I've also played with dehydrating pineapple chunks and apple slices.  Again, learning curve with those. And sometime I'm going to try sous vide.

Rye!  Got one just like yours from my mom who didn’t like it.  Does biscuits like you wouldn’t believe!! Small batches of cookies, sweet rolls, those chicken tenders from like TYSON, and it’s fabulous for any kind of fries!

Schoolmarm even baked a “from scratch” pecan pie!!

It’ll do burgers and it makes a great cheese dog and corn dogs are a snap!!

It’s a fantastic addition to the kitchen arsenal.  Takes a little bit of experimenting to find how you’re going to make the most of it!!

Did I mention all those frozen “heat ‘n’ eat” snacks that you don’t have to fire up the oven to make??

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It’s a fantastic addition to the kitchen arsenal.  Takes a little bit of experimenting to find how you’re going to make the most of it!!

And you can set it in the patio or porch when you don't want to heat up the house with cooking.

That combo unit we have likely has about half the capacity of a unitasker air fryer, but for the two of us it works well.

Yep. We have the same model. Makes super great French fries. Does other things OK, but still pan fry a good bit. 

Sam Sackett 

I have the "PowerXL" that I bought at whim at Walmart.  Had for a couple of years now with no problems and I really like mine.  The frozen chicken,  shrimp and french fries that were mediocre when baked in the oven now taste great.

I've made wontons, egg rolls, empanadas, turnovers and done boneless buffalo chicken using frozen chicken and the dry buffalo seasoning you can usually find in the spice aisle with the other pre-made seasonings in a paper packet.

80% of the time, ours get used for frozen tater tots and okra.  I made potato wedges last week and they were a hit.  Wife uses it more than me. 

Can someone explain the "Dehydrate" feature? What would I dehydrate???

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thin cut cheap rump roast makes good jerky.

Soak in soy sauce, liquid smoke, brown sugar and coarse ground black pepper to taste.

Schoolmarm found a neat recipe for hotdogs! Put the dogs in the fryer and set it for ten minutes at 375. You don’t have to turn ‘em. Pull ‘em out and put ‘em in the buns with a slice of cheese wrapped around the dog and put them back in for another three minutes!  Presto! Cheesey grilled dogs!!

If you heat some chili in the microwave while you’re cooking the dogs, it’s all ready and easy too!

RYE!! You can do small batches of jerky, banana chips, or apple slices in the dehydrate mode!  YUUUMM!!

23 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Anything.  Apple slices.  Pineapple rings or chunks.  Make beef, pork, salmon, or turkey jerky.  

We have a double basket air fryer. We love it, we use it more then the stove

Chicken breasts came out good! A little olive oil rub and 18 minutes done!

173717F8-23F2-4241-96A8-63459CA2932D.jpeg

On 4/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

For people like me who hate to cook this is an easy way to do some healthy cooking, quick and uses less power than a stove or microwave. My son bought this for me, he loves his. 

Stouffer's are easier.

Archived