SASS Wire Forum

How long should you wait??

I have never heard anyone suggest I (or anyone else) wait "a cotton-pickin' minute".

It's usually said, "wait JUST ONE cotton-pickin' minute".

Cotton pickers worked long hot days and were paid by the pounds they picked.  A cotton pickin' minute is prolly shorter than a New York Minute, as Okie Sawbones has noted I'm thinkin'.

Sounds pretty racist to me. Here comes MSNBC...

A New York Minute is shorter.

A Cotton Picking Minute is an expression of irritation and a demand to not be rushed.

A Cotton Picking Minute is the amount of time needed to sort through and absorb some unexpected fact or observation. A New York Minute is the amount of time between when the light changes to green at one end of a city block, and the last car in line at the other end of the block honks.

12 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

A New York Minute is shorter.

A Cotton Picking Minute is an expression of irritation and a demand to not be rushed.

A Cotton Picking Minute is the amount of time needed to sort through and absorb some unexpected fact or observation. A New York Minute is the amount of time between when the light changes to green at one end of a city block, and the last car in line at the other end of the block honks.

Nailed it!! You must have spent some time in NY? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Nailed it!! You must have spent some time in NY? :lol:

Friends from both places, though I do now live in Tennessee. I have never actually set foot in NYC, but have visited upstate and folks there seem sane.

13 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Sounds pretty racist to me. Here comes MSNBC...

They're were whites pickin cotton too!:P

35 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'd wait a jiffy.  :D

Now a ‘jiffy’ is used in in many scientific fields but its meaning is inconsistent, being anywhere from a computer clock tick (a nanosecond perhaps) to an AC current cycle (1/50 or 1/60 second).

in my experience, when a Russian woman says “I’ll be ready in a minute” you might as well put the game on, even if it’s cricket.

29 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

in my experience, when a Russian woman says “I’ll be ready in a minute” you might as well put the game on, even if it’s cricket.

So, you're saying a little faster than a Southern woman.  

Archived