SASS Wire Forum

'Hacking' question-important

I just received an email which appears to be from UPS.   BUT, they are informing me that

a package I ordered has the wrong address and they are supplying me with a tracking number

to give them my correct address, etc.......

Problem is, the 8 digit number is not the normal style tracking number that UPS uses.

I'm weary that if I click on their tracking number (as they requested), that I will be subject to

opening up my computer to be hacked.    Any of you ever experienced this from UPS?

Thanks

..........Widder

I get that about twice a month, sometimes  UPS, sometimes USPS or another shipping service. I just go to the real site and check it out and it has never been legit.

I get stuff nearly daily, Your order has been delayed, Details needed to ship, etc.  You can write down the supposed tracking number and go to the UPS tracking site, enter it and see what happens.  You can't get hurt doing that.  Nearly certainly a scam.

What Forty Rod said. Call them. 

I use the UPS app on my phone. I have gotten 2 scam emails claiming they were UPS. Nothing was on my app, so I deleted the emails. 

Unless whatever it is is irreplaceable - George Patton's registered Magnum, for example - I ignore it.

I place an order. Midway, Grafs, Amazon, whoever. Then I get an email from UPS saying that my package has the wrong address and I need to get in touch with them to fix it. I don't need to fix it. Not my problem. I didn't put the wrong address on it. I'm not dealing with UPS.

So I wait until the expected delivery date, and if my order does not show up then I get on the line with Amazon or Midway or Grafs - WHERE'S MY STUFF!!??!?!?!??

And then they need to, first, reship my order to the correct address, and then, second, get in touch with UPS about getting their stuff sent back to them because they screwed up.

But I would never consider getting in touch with the post office or UPS or FedEx or DHL or any other delivery service about a delivery. I wasn't dealing with them. I was dealing with the shipper. If my stuff doesn't show up, I will jump on the shipper's ass. Not the delivery people.

Hey there Widder!!

What the udder guys said.  'Specially Springfield Slim.  I/we get about two of those a week.  They are ALL bogus.  They are ALL Phishing.  DO NOT open them.  Send them directly to JUNK.  There is another way to report it, but I forget what it is.

Yep just like everybody said scammer, there is another one if you are selling something they want you to confirm your phone number with a code they send you. Don't do it tell them to kick rocks.

Like the others have said, scam.  First how would UPS have your email, unless you have signed up for UPS services. Same with USPS (which doesn't email anyone).  You should be able to hover your curser over the email sender in your email log and it will show you who really sent the email (unless they are spoofing another email).  If you have ordered something online most shippers send you an email with the shipping tracking number. You can always go to the shipper's website and track using the tracking number from the shipper.  UPS web site is: https://www.ups.com › tracking › tracking.html

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I just received an email which appears to be from UPS.   BUT, they are informing me that

a package I ordered has the wrong address and they are supplying me with a tracking number

to give them my correct address, etc.......

Problem is, the 8 digit number is not the normal style tracking number that UPS uses.

I'm weary that if I click on their tracking number (as they requested), that I will be subject to

opening up my computer to be hacked.    Any of you ever experienced this from UPS?

Thanks

..........Widder

Don't do it! All UPS numbers have a Z as the second digit in the tracking. Are you expecting a package? If so, contact the shipper.

25 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Same with USPS (which doesn't email anyone

That's not true.

You can go to USPS.gov or com or whoever the hell they are, and sign up for a service where they will send you an email every day that you are getting mail. It will have a photograph of each piece of mail you are getting.

The mail has not run today, but I will be receiving a letter from Humana and a piece of junk mail from Xfinity. I know that because the post office sent me an email.

I seem to get most of my similar scam email claiming to be FedEx. Funny thing is they coincide with me actually expecting something. The email address usually gives it away or the tracking number that doesn't jive with that particular shipping company.

Opening your machine up with a malicious link is a possibility, but another more likely event is confirming your email address.

How this works:

You get a link in your email.

The link is unique to your email address, nobody else gets the identical link.

You click on the link.

Scammer now knows the email address is live and someone is checking it.

Bonus item for scammer, the recipient was dumb enough to click on a suspicious link so worth sending the now verified address more spam.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Good fun! I just "won" $4.7 Million Dollars from "Publisher's Clearing House".  Phone read Potential Spam.  It is everywhere! I won't be calling to claim my prize.

My luck would be to see it on the news a year later saying it was never claimed.

5 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My luck would be to see it on the news a year later saying it was never claimed.

Might be mine as well, but the odds are slim and I don't believe I've ever had dealings with Publisher's Clearing House. "Got to know when to hold 'em, got to know when to fold 'em, got to know when to walk away and know when to run."  Just walking!

I'm quite confident I did not win [Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes] since I did not enter.

Got a text today:

"We temporarily placed your Amazon suspended"

It gets worse from there, and the obviously-not Amazon link contains a "mail=some_big_number" in it.

Which means if I click the link, they know which  phone number I have. They do not know me, but they know the phone number is live, monitored, and I'm enough of an idiot to click an obviously bogus text link.

Report as junk if you have the option, or simply delete.

My Netflix account has been suspended uncounted times, according to some emails and texts, but I can still get Netflix on my TV.

No great loss if it is canceled.  

But it's not.

4 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Opening your machine up with a malicious link is a possibility, but another more likely event is confirming your email address.

How this works:

You get a link in your email.

The link is unique to your email address, nobody else gets the identical link.

You click on the link.

Scammer now knows the email address is live and someone is checking it.

Bonus item for scammer, the recipient was dumb enough to click on a suspicious link so worth sending the now verified address more spam.

You don't even need to do that. Just include a jpg and track image loads and sent it. . Often this is done with a 1x1 pixel jpg that loads in any email with preview and image download on which is about 80% of the universe. 

With chatgpt phishing is about to get good/bad. I just did some prompt testing for ai generated phishing emails based on various contexts and they were decent with a few minutes work. 

39 minutes ago, Bo B. Fetterman said:

You don't even need to do that. Just include a jpg and track image loads and sent it. . Often this is done with a 1x1 pixel jpg that loads in any email with preview and image download on which is about 80% of the universe. 

With chatgpt phishing is about to get good/bad. I just did some prompt testing for ai generated phishing emails based on various contexts and they were decent with a few minutes work. 

Thunderbird for email, do not load images unless sender is in address book.

On phones, do not load images unless expressly allowed.

And speaking of phones, if the caller is not in my address book, i do not answer; if the call is legitimate, they will leave a message and I will add the caller to my address book for future calls.

The main principle in all cases is to provide no feedback at all until the sender/caller is vetted.

Archived