SASS Wire Forum

Bisley (not Ruger) recommendations?

Copper Sean O Driscoll

So I have been handling a lot of single action revolvers and I have found that I really like the feel of the “ugly” Bisley grips.  I have heard some negatives about the modern Uberti pistols.  Is there another company that makes a Bisley grip pistol? I did try the Ruger Bisley and while I like it better than the standard Ruger I’m still not a fan. 

The Uberti Bisley is about as close to the real thing as one can get. I don't know what bad things you heard but I had no issues with mine. I don't know why they would have a worse track record as the inner workings should be almost identical to the more common Colt clones. Other makers have offered them through the years but they were not made the same and had more hump in the grips. I was not a fan of them.

6 hours ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

I just heard that they wear out quickly and where not meant for the kind of shooting we do. 

Neither was the SAA!  Need to smooth it up a bit.  I've never heard of them being "fragile".  And since it is primarily a duelist style of gun, it isn't going to be worked as hard as a traditional style shooter anyway.  On the other hand, I do not know if they have gone to 3-click on those or not.

I think what you are referring to is the safety firing pin on the newer Uberti's. The safety firing pin is their answer to a safety system brought about by another frivolous lawsuit brought by people that were too dumb to know the proper firearms handling procedures. It keeps the firearm looking more original by keeping the hammer mounted firing pin rather than go to a frame mounted firing pin and transfer bar type setup. Unfortunately...the system they are using is prone to failure. As of now...you can get old style parts to get rid of the safety firing pin and convert back...unless you get a short stroked revolver.

The Colt Bisley was made for the Bisley matches that were being held around the world 130 years ago. The grip was designed for a specific stance. The stance called for a bent elbow, and bent wrist. The match format was gun in hand with it resting on a table. The target would appear for three seconds. In those three seconds, the shooter had to raise the pistol, fire, and lower it again. 

This is Pancho Villa demonstrating his stance.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b7d86e3e0f26141251e8424254c0022.jpeg

This is the Cimarron Bisley that I put Colt grips on. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f3702ffc2314541b7356ca8c90a4fd7d.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Cholla said:

The stance called for a bent elbow, and bent wrist.

Interesting, it actually explains why I had so much trouble getting used to a plow handle. I grew up shooting remington cap and balls and never realized that had become the way I held a revolver. I switched to ruger bisleys and everything just started lining up again. I read this and had to grab a pistol and look at my stance in a mirror. Crazy how you never notice some things. 

You could call one of the importers to ask if the Bisley still has 4 clicks.  I'll bet it does, because it is a much lower volume seller than the Cattleman/Model P SAA types, and has a different hammer.  The Remington '75's and '90's still have the original hammer (the older safety system with the hammer block safety, the little wedge below the firing pin, which has been around for a long time).

Archived