SASS Wire Forum

I need to cut 60x .38 spl cartridges down 5mm from the rim

Buckshot Bear

I need to cut 60x .38 spl cartridges down just 5mm from the rim for some decorative touches on our gun cart.

Hacksaw fail

Junior hacksaw fail

Lathe fail

Miniature pipe cutter fail

Dremel works but the cuts aren't straight and really wonky.

Anyone got a clever idea?

• Buckshot Bear changed the title to I need to cut 60x .38 spl cartridges down 5mm from the rim

If you can make a simple fixture to hold the case, (a scrap of pipe or conduit) you might try a belt sander or angle grinder.  If you have a case trimmer, do a rough cut with a jewelers saw and the last bit with the trimmer for straight and uniform.

20 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I need to cut 60x .38 spl cartridges down just 5mm from the rim for some decorative touches on our gun cart.

Hacksaw fail

Junior hacksaw fail

Lathe fail

I used a “hobby” chop saw from Harbor Freight and a eBay jig to cut 223 brass to 300 Blackout.  I cut it a fudge long, then I used a case trimmer (after resizing) to insure end is square and OAL is correct.

2203047F-2087-4082-BE3F-B1760B285440.jpeg

If available, try to chuck brass in a drill press, run about 1100 rpm, use hacksaw blade, file, etc.   FWIW, I've used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to make some fairly uniform cuts in a similar fashion.  If you can position the brass uniformly, this might be a solution.

Good luck.

Jackalope

I used a “hobby” chop saw from Harbor Freight

Ditto.   Works real fast.  I made a holder out of a block of oak with a snug fitting hole to hold the case head while chopping off the rest. My task was (still is) chopping .45 Colt down to Cowboy .45 Special cases.

good luck, GJ

I picked up a half inch bushing at the hardware store, scribed it good with a pipe cutter and then cut with fine hacksaw. Slip the brass in and trim with the Dremel cut off wheel guided by the bushing, touch up with a trimmer.

Oh crap, forgot we were talking about 38:D, well you get the idea!!

I cut a bunch of 5.56 brass down to make 300 blackout cases.  I used a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade and drilled 10 holes in a block of wood to uniform depth with the drill press.  Then I split the wood and put a hinge on it so I could clamp the cases snugly.  Use a fence or a clamped board to set the wood block a uniform distance from the blade.  Worked great.  Krazy Kajun filmed me using my brass cutting contraption.

2 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Why don’t you use a case trimmer?

Try this!

that is what they do! Trim cases!

The Lyman basic model ($129.99 at Midway with included adapter) to attach a cordless drill has worked for me for nearly 30 years. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

Do you have a bandsaw? I use a bi metal blade and a fixture that slides in the T slot in the bed, works pretty slick.

3 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I used a “hobby” chop saw from Harbor Freight and a eBay jig to cut 223 brass to 300 Blackout.  I cut it a fudge long, then I used a case trimmer (after resizing) to insure end is square and OAL is correct.

2203047F-2087-4082-BE3F-B1760B285440.jpeg

Exactly what I'd recommend. Make a jig so they're all exactly the same length and be done in a few minutes

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Hacksaw fail

Junior hacksaw fail

Lathe fail

Get a mandrel that will fit into the case snugly. Then insert the case, mouth first, into your lathe chuck and clamp down on the case pinching it against the mandrel.

Now use a parting tool and cut the rim + 5mm free. Done with a sharp tool the rim plus 5mm of the case should part cleanly. Touch up any burs with a fine file.

8 hours ago, Texas Red said:

BB,

I use little different saw than the one above but from Harbor Freight and these

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=trim+38+to+38+long+colt&_sacat=0

Hope it Helps

TR

That’s what I use to trim 45-70 brass to 45-60

If you can find a way to hold the case...a Forstner bit in a drill press will cut them down and keep them even

Thanks one and all appreciate the advice. I ended up putting them in the chuck on my lathe and turned them at around 60rpm and held a hacksaw against them, rough, but worked.

All a bit mute though in the end :(

I printed out some images of 6 shot cylinders and tried to use them as templates and used an automatic centre punch to mark the middle of each printed primer and then drilled a shallow hole for the case, but the end result doesn't look perfect. Every step has added a little movement and it doesn't look perfect enough for me.  Test on a scrap piece of wood with scrap shells.

I'll have to try something else. I don't know anyone who has a rotary table on their milling machine :(

20230422_152114.thumb.jpg.90d95bc9c464c9474e82b79aed311e63.jpg

20230422_152110.thumb.jpg.1d71cb92597735cff676f127f5c5cf26.jpg

20230422_152030.thumb.jpg.ae20efa136a7508338966c8b4db12b6a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks one and all appreciate the advice. I ended up putting them in the chuck on my lathe and turned them at around 60rpm and held a hacksaw against them, rough, but worked.

All a bit mute though in the end :(

I printed out some images of 6 shot cylinders and tried to use them as templates and used an automatic centre punch to mark the middle of each printed primer and then drilled a shallow hole for the case, but the end result doesn't look perfect. Every step has added a little movement and it doesn't look perfect enough for me.  Test on a scrap piece of wood with scrap shells.

I'll have to try something else. I don't know anyone who has a rotary table on their milling machine :(

20230422_152114.thumb.jpg.90d95bc9c464c9474e82b79aed311e63.jpg

20230422_152110.thumb.jpg.1d71cb92597735cff676f127f5c5cf26.jpg

20230422_152030.thumb.jpg.ae20efa136a7508338966c8b4db12b6a.jpg

Get a Moon clip, lock the de primed cases in and clamp to the wood, punch through the primer hole?

22 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

If you can make a simple fixture to hold the case, (a scrap of pipe or conduit) you might try a belt sander or angle grinder.  If you have a case trimmer, do a rough cut with a jewelers saw and the last bit with the trimmer for straight and uniform.

This is the way here A+ Jig and knife belt sander or similar

Since you have a lathe, turn a brass mandrel .001/.002 under the inside diameter of your cases, slide case over mandrel, clamp case and mandrel in 3 jaw chuck, chuck will crush case against the mandrel evenly, drill pilot hole in primer with tail stock chuck, use a cut off tool or almost any tool on your crossslide to cut your case head off, remove case from mandrel, rinse and repeat 60 times, I do this when I turn brass shotshells into custom knobs for drawers and mounts for gun displays

5 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Why do you care one whit about how smooth or even the cut edge is?  Drill the holes in the wood just deep enough so that when you epoxy the cut cases into the holes, the rough sharp rim is completely and safely encased in epoxy in the bottom of the hole.

Because getting jagged edged round brass into neat tight 9mm holes drilled into hardwood isn't a pleasure. 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Because getting jagged edged round brass into neat tight 9mm holes drilled into hardwood isn't a pleasure. 

Just use a case mouth deburring/chamfering tool -- give it a quick spin and it should be smooth enough to tap in.  That's the beauty of brass -- it is flexible, much more flexible than the hardwood.

20 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Just use a case mouth deburring/chamfering tool -- give it a quick spin and it should be smooth enough to tap in.  That's the beauty of brass -- it is flexible, much more flexible than the hardwood.

After cutting down, they aren't long enough to do that. As mentioned in my first post, they are cut down to just 5mm.

50 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Yes, that's what I'm trying to achieve.

And then get them perfectly spaced to 'look like' they are in a cylinder on this practice piece of scrap wood.

I thought this was going to be a quick tinkering session in my workshop! So far, that ain't the case!

20230422_152030.thumb.jpg.ae20efa136a7508338966c8b4db12b6a.jpg.fdb475c0b768f8bb62741214befbb121.jpg

To get the spacing right you cannot eyeball the hole placement. The hole centers need to be exact.

I have some software that I think I can make a template on that will give you the correct hole spacing with a precise point for the hole center. 

Let me try it tomorrow night and see if I can get it right.

51 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

To get the spacing right you cannot eyeball the hole placement. The hole centers need to be exact.

I have some software that I think I can make a template on that will give you the correct hole spacing with a precise point for the hole center. 

Thanks Dave that would be super appreciated mate!

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I sent him an accurate  template 

19 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks Dave that would be super appreciated mate!

Emailed a file this evening.  You will need to watch the scaling when printing it. I put the correct dimension in SAE and Metric on the template. 

When I printed them directly from the program (VISIO) they came out exactly to scale. When I made the PDF and printed it, the scale was off. Took a a lot of experimenting with the printer settings to get the scale to come out correctly. It would be easier to print them and then use a copier's enlargement function to get the scale back to 100%

I will attach it here in case someone else wants to use it. It is to scale for a Ruger Vaquero chambered in 38/357

Buckshot Bear.pdf

Archived