SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a new shooter packet to give to . . . our new shooters

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

Once a new shooter qualifies at our club they can shoot with us but they really don't know all the ins and outs of our game/hobby/obsession.

while we refer them to the SHB link, we are going to create a booklet or pamphlet that gives them a good overview.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel we're wondering of any clubs already have such a document that we could use as a staring point.

thanks

cr

Sec, TRR

You could contact Capt. George Baylor down in San Antonio and he might be able to help.  If you remember he put up a website: Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp, which goes into some detail, but he might have a summary available.   The info on the website is dated, but it's still active.  He also has completed an updated book on CAS, which he is in the process of getting printed.  He is on Facebook as George Baylor.  He doesn't spend anytime here on the Wire, and I don't have any contact details for him other than Facebook.

We offer a shooter clinic each year on the National Day of the Cowboy.  Each attendee receives a packet with a copy of the Shooter's Handbook and lots of SASS swag like a Chronicle, stickers, pen, etc.  It difficult to list all the businesses that offer things like guns, reloading supplies clothing, etc.  In place of that they are guided to our FB group or here/the forum. Business cards of some local supporters are enclosed with the packet. They also are made aware of the contact info for those of us that assisted at the clinic.
I do try to keep an extra copy or two of the SASS Handbook on hand at the clubhouse for those that stop by our monthly match and are interested in learning more.

What's this "qualifies at our club" business?  I haven't been to your club in 30+ years... and have thought I need to remedy that... then again, maybe not.

6 hours ago, Griff said:

What's this "qualifies at our club" business?  I haven't been to your club in 30+ years... and have thought I need to remedy that... then again, maybe not.

new shooters must demonstrate they can load, shoot and unload in a safe manner--hitting targets is optional. 

As our RM pointed out, "Our matches are not for folks brand new to the shooting sports learning how to handle guns.  That's what we have practice days each month for."

10 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

new shooters must demonstrate they can load, shoot and unload in a safe manner--hitting targets is optional. 

As our RM pointed out, "Our matches are not for folks brand new to the shooting sports learning how to handle guns.  That's what we have practice days each month for."

I’ve been to one club that had new shooters demonstrate they could load, stage, shoot, move to ULT and unload.  Did it before the match. Not a bad idea, but they no longer do it. 

5 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

IOW, you're certifying that folks are "safe"... awful lot of liability involved in that little activity.  

Cheyenne Ranger; How are things at TRR?  I had the pleasure of shooting there about a weekend before the infamous winter storm a couple of years ago.  Say hello to Texas Six for me if you see him. 

I attached a New Shooter Packet below for download if you wish.  We give this out at our annual new shooter clinic. Essentially, it's an abbreviated version of the handbook, with a few bits about our local club and matches.  

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but feel free to adapt it in any way you wish.

New Shooter Clinic Handout_Shared Externally.pdf

2 hours ago, Popcorn Kelly said:

Cheyenne Ranger; How are things at TRR?  I had the pleasure of shooting there about a weekend before the infamous winter storm a couple of years ago.  Say hello to Texas Six for me if you see him. 

I attached a New Shooter Packet below for download if you wish.  We give this out at our annual new shooter clinic. Essentially, it's an abbreviated version of the handbook, with a few bits about our local club and matches.  

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but feel free to adapt it in any way you wish.

New Shooter Clinic Handout_Shared Externally.pdf 204.76 kB · 0 downloads

Howdy Popcorn

things are going well in The Republic and at TRR.

we just had our Ironman Combo Match with Willow Hole Cowboys = 16 stages in two days.  Lots of fun

I certainly thank you for the handout--that's what we've been looking for.

cr

Here is something I put together a few years back. It is made for Florida but you can modify it for your purposes. I haven't updated it in a while though. 

SASS Florida New Shooters Packet August 2020.pdf

3 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Not sure if the Cabs have a packet put together, but they offer new shooter clinics:  https://www.tejascaballeros.net/new-shooters But it says Class Materials provided.

I heard at the last Tejas Cabelleros monthly that they are having one this weekend if anyone is in the central Texas area and wanted to participate or observe. Contact to confirm.

21 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Here is something I put together a few years back. It is made for Florida but you can modify it for your purposes. I haven't updated it in a while though. 

SASS Florida New Shooters Packet August 2020.pdf 853.35 kB · 5 downloads

thanks for the help

reading it right now

cr

On 4/21/2023 at 3:02 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Once a new shooter qualifies at our club they can shoot with us but they really don't know all the ins and outs of our game/hobby/obsession.

while we refer them to the SHB link, we are going to create a booklet or pamphlet that gives them a good overview.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel we're wondering of any clubs already have such a document that we could use as a staring point.

thanks

cr

Sec, TRR

See kingsriverregulators.com

From the drop down menu, go to About US and click the + button on the left,

then click "Getting Started". 

Its not a SHB or pamphlet, but it's a start for you. 

I hope the link works for you.

https://www.kingsriverregulators.com/getting-started

Archived