SASS Wire Forum

Every time........... I get a little tear

Every time I watch a movie or a TV show that properly depicts a military burial, I seem to

get a little tear and a feeling of somberness.

As a Veteran,  I've been to a few funerals where the deceased was a Veteran and given a proper military

burial.    They are different and very respectful.

God Bless those men and women who have faithfully served.

..........Widder

I hear you. 

Our Canadian Legion conducted services for 5 Uncles, three cousins and my Father-in-Law and my Father.

Taps and the Lament always brings a lump to the throat.

After 23 Oct 1983 I was then sent to services of appx  45-50 Marines most of all I knew , Not a good time . Been to a few of fellow unit members I have almost become immune to it (almost) .

I have to be honest the only time I almost broke down is returning from Afghanistan My last time ; 

When shipping out I had a Mom come up to me about one of my team members came up to me prior to us flying out "Take care of so and so please " of course my reply Thats my job ,  after a rough tour we came home . She was waiting . 
  While this tour was a rough one we lost other team members ect lots of contact. I brought every one of mine home . The Mom came up to me hugged me and said Thank You for keeping your promise. .

A couple years back, my wife Ellie whom is the Cemetery commissioner here received a box in the mail from a Vermont university. Seems a man donated his body to science and wanted to have the cremated remains interned at the family plot just up the road. Ellie did some research and found he was a Veteran and the last family member. She made some calls and successfully arranged a military burial. It was excellent, Marines showed up with rifles in hand and performed the burial. Pretty darn cool. Accolades to Ellie. :wub:

My dad was US ARMY AIR CORPS and re-inlisted in the US AIR FORCE when hostilities began in Korea.

Upon his passing, he was given a military funeral with honors.

It was certainly a comfort to my mother.

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

After 23 Oct 1983 I was then sent to services of appx  45-50 Marines most of all I knew , Not a good time . Been to a few of fellow unit members I have almost become immune to it (almost) .

I have to be honest the only time I almost broke down is returning from Afghanistan My last time ; 

When shipping out I had a Mom come up to me about one of my team members came up to me prior to us flying out "Take care of so and so please " of course my reply Thats my job ,  after a rough tour we came home . She was waiting . 
  While this tour was a rough one we lost other team members ect lots of contact. I brought every one of mine home . The Mom came up to me hugged me and said Thank You for keeping your promise. .

I was in Beirut about six months before that.  I remember the base on the way into town from the airport.  Big American flag flying.  What a waste of lives.  That was a bit before the time when one faction got the U.S. began shelling Druse villages in the mountains using the New Jersey's guns. 

My brother in law died 5 years ago and he was a Korean War vet. They had a military funeral complete with a bugler and a 21 gun salute. There was 3 shooters firing 7 rounds each. There was not a dry eye to be found. His ashes were buried in a Veterans Cemetery. 

Before Dad past away,  he said if an honor guard funeral cost money, he didn't want one.  It didn't cost anything and they did a beautiful job.  Besides the flag ceremony,  the old pot-bellyed VFW gave a 21 gun salute. 

521855799_DadWWIIphotoDec2020.thumb.jpg.50e340289bd5c65fba3e9616889abe0a.jpg

I'm proud to say that I serve on our combined VFW & American Legion Honor Guard. And, yes some of us are old and pot bellied, but all of us are Veterans and proud and honored to give a fellow Veteran a proper send off.  Taps has always held a special place in my heart and quite often a tear will fall in honor of a special friend or family member that is being laid to rest. Also we give a volly of 3 to the departed, as a 21 gun salute is reserved for Heads of State, and visiting dignitaries. 

WR

In 2001 I invited my daughters to go with me to my Uncle John’s service at Fort Rosecrans in San Diego, they had both known him since childhood. He’d  been career navy.

Cousin Gordon had learned to play the Bosun’s whistle and at the end of the service Gordon blew it and the Second Class Petty Officer announced “Master Chief John D. Perry has gone ashore”.  He had had a 15 gun salute, which is rank appropriate.

Cousin Bruce was given the flag with three brass tucked inside because Gordon had his retirement flag.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Every time I watch a movie or a TV show that properly depicts a military burial, I seem to

get a little tear and a feeling of somberness.

As a Veteran,  I've been to a few funerals where the deceased was a Veteran and given a proper military

burial.    They are different and very respectful.

God Bless those men and women who have faithfully served.

..........Widder

The mention of a movie or TV show. Made me think of this. I had my issues with the show, but thought this was powerful.

I’ve been been to a couple of funerals for veterans, including my Korean War veteran uncle.  Yes they left me with a few tears.

38 minutes ago, DocWard said:

The mention of a movie or TV show. Made me think of this. I had my issues with the show, but thought this was powerful.

I’ve been been to a couple of funerals for veterans, including my Korean War veteran uncle.  Yes they left me with a few tears.

Powerful scene. 

Archived