SASS Wire Forum

I love the phrasing

Translation: The $#!t blew up!!

I've seen "CRUD" used in aftermath reports by both SpaceX and Blue Horizons.

"Catastrophic Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly"

That acronym rolls of the tongue a little better... <_<

Many years ago at IBM, I labeled a returned hardware part as "NFG."
My boss spanked me for it, but I had an old copy of IBM published service guides that spelled out broken parts as "Not Functioning Good", so I was off the hook.
But also told not to do it again.

Some years ago I heard that it's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden deceleration trauma that kills somebody.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Watch the video in this.   

https://www.newsweek.com/spacex-starship-launch-destruction-video-1795989?amp=1

That launch pad had some serious damage done to it.  That might have had something to do with the engine failures.

Not sure what they were thinking, but there was no flame trench or water injection under the rocket. Just bare concrete. Which, when exposed to that kind of localized heating was sure to fail.  I'm surprised anything was left standing.

I suspect that the rocket was damaged by debris before it cleared the pad. At lift off 3 engines had already failed and if you watch the last video in the below link not only do you see debris flying hundreds of yards beyond the pad and landing in the water; You can see the rockets plume behaving erratically within 30 seconds of lift off.  First there is flame coming out the left side of the lower stage and then something fails and you see the explosion in the exhaust plume. 

Photos: Starship pad damage; Elon says 1-2 months until next flight

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not sure what they were thinking, but there was no flame trench or water injection under the rocket. Just bare concrete. Which, when exposed to that kind of localized heating was sure to fail.  I'm surprised anything was left standing.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/04/spacex-starship-blasted-hundreds-of-tons-of-dirt-and-concrete-space-spacex-starship.html#:~:text=The SpaceX Starship has twice,build a flame diverter/deflector.

"SpaceX and Elon were thinking about the future launches from Mars and Moon and hoping they could get away without a flame diverter. This problem shows that when we go to Mars and Moon, we will need pad infrastructure. "

Soooo this damage was unexpected? That seems odd. Of course the Flint lead in the water crisis was unexpected also. Except the 1950 study done by the Flint water department which concluded the water they used was unsuitable as it would be too corrosive after treatment. Which is why it was not used. Oh well. SpaceX learned and no humans were damaged. 

Archived