SASS Wire Forum

TEE-AHT-WAH-KEE

Alpo

Yep TEOTWAWKI. The End Of The World As We Know It has arrived. The feces has well and truly struck the rotary oscillator.

But you are prepared. And amongst your preparations you have many firearms and much ammunition.

When you are out and about, during the day - not hunting, not tracking down mutant zombie bikers, just going about your normal business - would you carry a long gun with you?

If you would, what would it be?

When this question occurred to me earlier, I thought that it would probably be a 30-30 Winchester. And then I thought about that a little more, and how much powder that takes per shot, and decided I would most likely be caring a 357 lever gun. Saddle ring carbine, not rifle. It's light, it's compact, and it's reasonably powerful.

I'd be toting a firearm that would carry more than 10 -11, easily reloadable, ammo is widely available, 100% reliable and reasonably light. Probably a AK, AR or a 10/22. Probably the 10/22.

Then again, the power is out/not going to come back on anytime soon, food/water is scarce or getting that way, multitudes of hungry/thirsty people have turned into large gangs of hungry/thirsty people, transportation fuel is gone and the only thing left to drink is Bud Light...and I'm out for a leisurely stroll? Not bloody likely.

I will bring marshmallows so we can watch it all burn down :) 
What would happen on April 23, 2023? The ‘end of the world’ theory going viral
New Theory Claims Solar Storms Will Cause ‘End Of The World’ On April 23, 2023

Theory: Solar Storms Will Cause 'End Of The World' On April 23 (brobible.com)

Oh my GAWD! It’ll be Y2K all over again!!! :lol:

To answer Alpo’s question I would carry my Ruger PC Carbine, a Glock 45 (9mm to the unwashed) and a bunch of magazines in a vest. A hunting knife and pocket knives and a pack with food, water, trauma & first aid kits and some individually wrapped candy to pass out to friendly folks I encounter on my foray. 

But the very first thing I would do is hunt down Otto and kill his a**! He won’t be needed any longer. 

I'd sling my M1 Carbine. I have cases of loaded mags for them Light, handy, reliable. My 1911 on my hip. Sheath knife on my belt. A good backpack to fill full of what I find. Water bottle possibly filled with Jim Beam.

8 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

OMYGAWD!!!!!  It's DIP!!!

We're all gonna die..............again!  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I hope that the End Of The World waits until the match is over Sunday. I would like to get my $15 worth of CAS in first.

There's a thread in another board about 9 mm carbines. Guy's thinking about the Henry, but it cost too much and he doesn't have any Glock magazines. Thinking about the Ruger - at least it's a take down even if it is ugly.

Then somebody commented that a 9 mm carbine was an attempt to emulate the M1 carbine, and failing.

And that's what caused my ponder. TEOTWAWKI, and you're going about your life, farming and raising livestock. But you need to carry a gun while you're out and about, because of all the feral dogs. Not to mention feral people. But like I said in the original post, you're not expecting to fight off a gang. Maybe one or two. I'm pretty sure that if there was a pack of eight dogs and you shot two of them the others would disappear into the woods.

So you would need a light, reasonably powerful (which in my opinion would leave 22 out of the loop) rifle with which you could get off three or four shots rather quickly.

I suppose you could carry a Evil Black Rifle, along with a loadout vest carrying 10 or 12 spare 30 round magazines, and a couple of bandoliers of ammo on clips so you can quickly reload your empty magazines.

But I really don't see that as necessary.

If the fan has been dirtied, and I were to look at my front window and see a guy dodging down the street from tree to tree in camouflage fatigues and a Fritz helmet carrying an AR and several hundred rounds of ammunition - I would suspect he was up to no good, and depending on how long it's been since the fan was struck, might just slide a rifle barrel out the front door and pop his ass.

However if I saw a guy openly walking down the street with a Winchester lever hanging in his left hand and a K-frame Smith belted on his right side, wearing a flannel shirt, blue jeans and a baseball cap, I would probably assume that he was taking care of business, and while I might watch him till he went out of sight, I would not shoot him "just because".

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I would not shoot him "just because".

I wouldn’t shoot anyone “just because”. Bad ju-ju. 

I can tell you that around here camo is is completely normal clothing all year around. Every guy I know or have met has an AR. Now the dodging around trees would get my attention. 

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'd sling my M1 Carbine. I have cases of loaded mags for them Light, handy, reliable. My 1911 on my hip. Sheath knife on my belt. A good backpack to fill full of what I find. Water bottle possibly filled with Jim Beam.

I like your style. Those are in my inventory and are my choice as well! 

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I like your style. Those are in my inventory and are my choice as well! 

Carbine, 1911, or the Beam? 'YES' is a most acceptable answer.:D

Hmmmm... I'm assuming out of the firearms I currently have access too? I suppose it would depend on what "going about my business" entailed.

For working outside around my place or going to neighbors, local market or whatever, a Beretta PX-4 Storm in 9mm, because it is dead on reliable and I shoot it well, along with a Ruger PC Carbine, with sling. While they don't share mags, that isn't such a big deal to me, as there are plenty of both to go around. There's a Ruger SR9 that takes the same mags as the carbine, but I shoot the Beretta far better. There's a new to me Isaeli Surplus Browning Hi-Power, but I don't have enough rounds through it to have the confidence I do in the Beretta.

If I need to go into town, probably the same set-up, although I can see the advantage of the '92 and Smith and Wesson. Again, I would have a sling for the '92 Carbine.

If I needed to go into the big city, then I am opting for an AR and a couple of spare magazines. I'm trained and confident in my abilities with one. I can sling it so it sits across my chest for activities needing my hands. And yes, there would be a Beretta around. Unless I decided on a Lightweight Commander in 9mm or the aforementioned Hi-Power.

I would likely wear my everyday attire. Either jeans with cowboy boots or 5.11 pants with Merrell Moabs or some Chukkas. The 5.11s for going into the big city, so I can put a couple of mags in cargo pockets.

A pistol is used to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have laid down.. Cooper

What did Folkestone before that lived in rough areas do? Emulate that

I have let this question “marinate” for a couple of days.

I have decided that I would probably use my P13-45 Para, which is already my EDC. I have several twenty round magazines for it.

I recently purchased a 12ga, AR style shotgun and some 10 round magazines to go with it.  

When I’m home, I have access to lots of armament and the ammunition to support it.

In the field, I want something that can work at medium distances with maximum efficiency and the greatest intimidation factor. Three inch magnum shells with number one buckshot should suffice.

I’m 70 years old and have health issues. I’m able to get along well without the meds I take, but I would have to change my diet and choose my fights when I could.

Those two weapons with two spare magazines each would total ninety-two rounds.  With the proper use of cover and if I am able to use them effectively, I SHOULD be able to make my way to safety or hold out until help arrives.

12 guage pump in my pickup at all times. Works good on anything skunks, opossum ,even stray dogs don't have to hit them but you can follow them home. Closest neighbors are 2 miles away. 

On 4/20/2023 at 6:23 AM, Cypress Sun said:

I'd be toting a firearm that would carry more than 10 -11, easily reloadable, ammo is widely available, 100% reliable and reasonably light. Probably a AK, AR or a 10/22. Probably the 10/22.

Then again, the power is out/not going to come back on anytime soon, food/water is scarce or getting that way, multitudes of hungry/thirsty people have turned into large gangs of hungry/thirsty people, transportation fuel is gone and the only thing left to drink is Bud Light...and I'm out for a leisurely stroll? Not bloody likely.

Good to have a loooooong tube barrel pump.  When the power goes off, you can manually retrieve some fuel from a fuel station's underground tanks. 

Better also have a heavy bolt cutter to open the fill cap ---- and teach your wife or kid to stand guard and not fire a gun too close to or downwind from you and the tank.  

Archived