SASS Wire Forum

Curiosity:

The only problem I have with old, non-functional "wall-hanger" guns is a compulsion to make 'em functional.  :rolleyes:

Think I was inspired by my old pard Hank.  We've had a few successes!  ^_^

Forty,

I am sure you could sell them. I just don’t know where or how. I did find this

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/non-firing-dummy-weapons

I did a search on “non firing guns as decorations” and found lots of “non firing replica guns”.

I do recall a shop in North Carolina that took some old guns and made them into “Wall Hangers” but they made sure they couldn’t be fired by removing firing pins and welding the firing pin opening in the receiver closed. 
If I recall the prices were still nearly as much as the real thing.
They cleaned them up. Disabled them.  “Museum Waxed” them and mounted them on really nice wall plaques and, of all things, really old gray barn wall boards. 

An Alabama gunshop sells on gunbroker.  They regularly sell "gunsmith specials" in groups of four or five guns.  They do a pretty good job of describing the group, and add the disclaimer "as is, no returns".  

Just had Boomstick use a "wall-hanger" as a parts donor to repair a Yellowboy of mine. I would love to find a couple of cheap non-shooters to hang up.

Three years ago, I sold an old Damascus hammer 10g shotgun "wallhanger" to somebody on here for $50, shipped... shipping was $33.34. :lol: It was loose, needed firing pins, one hammer was missing, and the lock on that side was broken. He wanted a decoration over the fireplace of his new house.

I took a 10ga. Double sxs, 4 digit serial number Charles Daly to several shops years ago and was told it was a $50 wall hanger. Finally traded towards my Marlin and got the $50. Since found it was worth thousands according to Flayterman's (sp). It also had a Damascus barrel. Who knows ! :)

I can’t have a “wall hanger”!  It’ll hang there and play with my “you gotta fix that” mind until I take it down and start spending my time and money on it!!

Antique stores do OK by them.

On a side note, I bought a 1906 Winchester pump from a friend that purchased it as a wall hanger from an antique store. The externals were "aged". I disassembled it and the internals were pristine. I reassembled it and it is a tack driver.

It is also my granddaughter's (14 yo) current favorite rifle. :D

On 4/21/2023 at 8:01 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Why not repair them?  You don't have to shoot them, but the fact you could makes all the difference.

One is a "Hammond Bulldog" .44 rf with the guts filled with something like epoxy.  The chamber works well and it's a gorgeous gun to look at but no parts are available, and ammo is all collector stuff that costs as much as a good rifle. 

Archived