SASS Wire Forum

Ian's Shrapnel Kaboom

Sarge

I just saw this.  If I missed it and it's already been discussed, please feel free to remove it.  Lots of good safety info and issues with loading.  

An occurrence that's been long known.   Been discussed on here previously.  But, a revisit to dangers is never unjustified.  Even just dropping one round down on top of another is cause for concern as detonations have happened from this.  Always hold the rifle so the magazine is at a shallow angle.  It's not likely to happen with later model tube magazines as they typically employ the King's Patent loading port in the receiver.   The Henry rifles could be susceptible to a magazine detonation for the same reason the original Henry is.  Tho' I've not heard of one.  

If you will leave the rifle laying on the table and slide each cartridge into the magazine, the cartridges will slide into the magazine with no resistance and will not set off a primer or primers. You can then slide your spacer, (if you use one) in behind the last cartridge. (the spacer is actually in front of the last cartridge, physically, but it’s the last thing you put in).

The last move is to carefully pivot the barrel, spring, and follower into position ald gently let the follower down onto the column of ammunition. Make sure that your digits are clean and free of moisture and oils so that the follower doesn’t slip out of your grasp!

You will get a more harmonious outcome by following this procedure!

I've heard of several Uberti Henry magazine detonations.  Some years ago Uberti started putting a small pink rubber pad on the end of the follower to reduce the chance,  but I've also heard of it happening despite the pad.

12 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I've heard of several Uberti Henry magazine detonations.  Some years ago Uberti started putting a small pink rubber pad on the end of the follower to reduce the chance,  but I've also heard of it happening despite the pad.

That is correct!! Mine has the pad on the follower,  It still set off five rounds when it slipped out of my grasp!  The tension on the magazine spring and the weight of the brass follower will easily overcome the cushioning capability of the pad when it gets room to accelerate down the magazine tube.  It actually applies more force than the hammer does when the rifle is fired!!

Archived