SASS Wire Forum

Testing results of my first 20 gauge reloads

Bearfoot Tracker

I hope this is allowed here.

I set up my new Lee Load All II and reloaded my wife's once fired 20 gauge Winchester AA Target load hulls.

The only powders I have at the time for this were Alliant Green Dot and Winchester Super Handicap. I did have to top the lead off with a Cherrio in order to fill the hull for crimping when loading with the Super Handicap powder.

The testing results were as follows:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alliant Green Dot (3/4 oz. load) (#8 Shot) (CB1075-20 Wad) (Winchester AA hulls) (Cheddite 209 Primer) ….. shot from Stoeger Uplander Youth SxS w/ 22” barrels & cylinder chokes.

FPS (average), Recoil (rated 1-4 lowest to highest), Fouling (rated 1-4 lowest to highest based on shell inspection)

14.0 Gr.              1200     FPS       (Factory Lowest Published Load Data for Win AA hulls)

12.7 Gr.              1117     FPS                      4   Recoil                         2   Fouling             (LEE LOAD ALL Bushing #100)

11.6 Gr.              1051     FPS                      3   Recoil                         3   Fouling             (Aftermarket Bushing #090)

10.5 Gr.              992      FPS                     2   Recoil                         2   Fouling              (Aftermarket Bushing #085)

10.0 Gr.              967      FPS                     1   Recoil                         2   Fouling              (Aftermarket Bushing #080)

NOTES: Recoil of all were lower than the Winchester AA Target 1200 FPS factory loads, and significantly lower for the for the 10.0 and 10.5 grain loads. The recoil with the lower grains were about the same or slightly less than our Stoeger 12 ga. Coach gun shooting the Winchester AA Low Noise Low Recoil shells. Fouling was about the same on all loads, and noticeable over the factory loads mentioned above. All loads were capable of knocking over steel targets at 12 yards. Shells were hit & miss on shucking from gun (maybe due to glue used to seal top center of shells). Still had the issue of light primer hits (specifically on the left barrel) and had to open and close gun again to resolve. Need to contact gunsmith that worked on gun about this. The 10.0 grain load should be fine for SASS.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Winchester Super Handicap (3/4 oz. load) (#8 Shot) (CB1075-20 Wad) (Winchester AA hulls) (Cheddite 209 Primer) ….. shot from Stoeger Uplander Youth SxS w/ 22” barrels & cylinder chokes.

FPS (average), Recoil (rated 1-3 lowest to highest), Fouling (rated 1-3 lowest to highest based on shell inspection)

12.5 Gr.            1150      FPS       (Factory Lowest Published Load Data for Win AA hulls)

12.5 Gr.              1144     FPS                      3   Recoil                         3   Fouling           (No LEE bushing available)

12.0 Gr.               1119     FPS                      2   Recoil                         2   Fouling            (No LEE bushing available)

11.5 Gr.               1072     FPS                      1   Recoil                         1   Fouling             (No LEE bushing available)

NOTES: Recoil of the 12.5 & 12.0 grains were about the same as, 11.5 grain a little lower than,  the Winchester AA Target 1200 FPS factory load. The recoil of the 11.5 grain load was about the same as the recoil of our Stoeger 12 ga. coach gun shooting Winchester AA featherlite loads. Fouling was about the same on all loads, and noticeable over the factory loads mentioned above. All loads were capable of knocking over steel targets at 12 yards. Shells shucked well from gun. Still had the issue of light primer hits (specifically on the left barrel) and had to open and close gun again to resolve. Need to contact gunsmith that worked on gun about this. The 11.5 grain load would be fine for SASS, and believe could lower the grains to 11.0 or possibly 10.5 …. but will need to test at later date.

Archived