SASS Wire Forum

SASS Long Range Side Match Rifle, Site, and Caliber Requirements

Ashley D Austin

I have not found anything in print from SASS on Long Range Side Matches, but would like to participate at 100 yards at upcoming state championships.

Would an 1873 lever action rifle be acceptable?

Is .357 magnum acceptable?

What are the site requirements?

How do they shoot, prone, siting, standing, is a tri-pod or sticks allowed?

How many rounds are fired?

Ashley D. Austin

357 would be a pistol caliber. Many have those. Typically out to 100-125.  Maybe 150. 
true long range is rifle caliber. 45-70, 38-55, 40-65 etc. usually have both single shot and lever action. 
Sights range from simple buckhorn which is ok to about 150, Lyman or Marbles tang sights, or full Soule vernier sights. The longer the distance, the better sight you will need. A top quality set of vernier sights run $6-700. But if you want to shoot true long range you will need them. 

6 hours ago, Ashley D Austin said:

I have not found anything in print from SASS on Long Range Side Matches, but would like to participate at 100 yards at upcoming state championships.

Ashley D. Austin

Shooters Hand book pgs 29-31

Normally Long-Range Competitions are only offered at a clubs' three-day annuals.  SASS does provide guidance as per competitions, categories, calibers, sights, etc.

Each club will modify the competitions and categories to meet their interest or level of competitors.  The distances are subject to the depth or distances allowed at the particular range. 

Our aim is to just have fun.

Frontier Lone rider

6 hours ago, Ashley D Austin said:

Ashley D. Austin

Each match director will ascertain what resources they have for Long Range side matches as to available distance, time & interest in entrants.  You really do need to contact the match director to see what's going to be offered and whether your equipment will suffice.  I note that they have long range down on Fri 9-11... so there may not be a lot of variable categories offered.  

8 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The variables are dependent on the match. Most long range side matches do offer a lever action/pistol caliber side match. Distance/position/round count varies.

This is exactly right, they vary widely. At our upcoming long range side match we will have different categories. Single shot big bore, lever action big bore, lever Action pistol caliber and long range pistol. We’ll be shooting at 2 targets about 100 yards, the pistol target will be about 50. 
6 rounds for rifle, 5 rounds each for two pistols. 

/\ /\ /\ /\ what they all said up above.  I recently participated in my first long range side match, which was at 2023 Trailhead put on by THSS at their excellent club in Columbus, TX.  After sighting in, we took 5 shots at knockdowns set at about 420 and 540 yards, if I recall correctly.  (There was a separate lever gun category with closer targets, which I did not shoot.)  This past weekend, I shot at the regular monthly long range match put on by Willow Hole Cowboys in North Zulch, TX.  After sighting in, we took 4 shots each at plates of progressively increasing sizes set at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards, plus one bonus shot at each of two small silhouette plates set at intermediate but still "way out there" distances.  I think everyone shoots large bore single shot rifles with Soule/Vernier-type rear sights and globe-type front sights with reticles of the shooter's preference.  (I use the Lee Shaver reticle furthest to the left in the top row, seen below.)

Also, at some matches, the NRA Black Powder Target Rifle Rules apply.  Those rules specify types of rests and shooting positions allowed.

l_781100017_1_l.jpg

Archived