SASS Wire Forum

Unusal Uberti?

Interesting. I'm not finding it on Uberti's website, but there are several retailers showing them, including Sportsman Warehouse

https://thegunshopne.com/product/uberti-1873-cattleman-ursus-10mm-5-5-ported-barrel-special-make-up-case-hardened-6rd/

Here's a 2 year old review. 

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Interesting. I'm not finding it on Uberti's website, but there are several retailers showing them, including Sportsman Warehouse

Yep, the first thing I did when I got home was look at Uberti's website.  Nada.  Then I did a search and found a few dealers selling them.  

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I would really like to see him shoot 40 Smith & Wesson in that gun.

Since it does not use moon clips the round must headspace on the case mouth so a .40 S&W would fall too far into the chamber.

I know that, but apparently he doesn't know that, cuz long about 6 minutes he says that he's going to use 40 Smith & Wesson as a cheaper round.

But what would I expect, from a man that can't even count to six.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I would really like to see him shoot 40 Smith & Wesson in that gun.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Since it does not use moon clips the round must headspace on the case mouth so a .40 S&W would fall too far into the chamber.

What he said ^^^^^

It would be fun to see a non-ported 4 5/8" barreled one with birdshead grip. Could be a very fine carry gun with style!

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Uberti or Pietta don’t already make one?

In 10mm!?!

i have an old uberti cattleman in 44 rm.

I’ve been shooting it without ports…

Is 10mm that hot of a round?

33 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I wonder how much noise and muzzle flash you get with 24 holes in the barrel?  

25 if you count the big one in the middle.:lol:

10mm is a GREAT semi auto round (so is 357 Sig), but as long they continue to chamber revolvers in 357mag and 44mag - 10mm in a wheelgun seems (to me) an answer to an unasked question.

And unlike the 10mm shooter wishing that 40S&W would work for a lower recoiling round - 38spl drops right into the cylinder of my 357mag and works just fine.  (replace 38 and 357 with 44 for bigger bore shooters).

5 hours ago, WOLFY said:

i have an old uberti cattleman in 44 rm.

I’ve been shooting it without ports…

Is 10mm that hot of a round?

Short answer - No.

Very similar ballistics to 357magnum.

As a matter of fact - 357mag was the benchmark given to Smith & Wesson for the development of the 10mm round.

At the time of its development - FBI and Law Enforcement were still carrying revolvers or 9mm pistols (at the time - 9mm was still a pretty anemic round).

And many in Law Enforcement were not willing to transition from 357mag to 9mm even with added capacity.

Add in the Miami FBI shootout and the FBI was desperate for a semi auto caliber/ pistol with 357mag performance.

Smith was approached; given the parameters and returned with the 10mm.

Huzzah!

357 magnum power with increased capacity over a revolver - the FBI ordered the guns and the ammo.

Fast forward to the guns in the hands of the agents...

The slightly longer case length (over 9mm), the slightly fatter round (over 9mm) made for a gun that was slightly larger in all dimensions - posing a challenge for agents of smaller stature and hand size.

Then drop the addition of 357mag comparable recoil and the complaints began to pour in from the field.

"The guns too bulky" "The gun kicks too much".

The FBI returned to Smith with these issues and asked for a 10mm round that was shorter (allowing for 9mm sized gripframes) and had less recoil.

Smith did a reverse 357mag to 38spl conversion and developed the 40 S&W - shorter case - much less recoil.

BUT they went too far - and the new round took on the moniker of 40 Short & Weak.

These teething pains followed the 40 for years and hurt its opportunity to become the superior semi auto round.

The 40 was modified again into the 357Sig round by bottlenecking the 40 case down to 9mm - pushing the round into and above the 1500fps mark - but limited manufacturers for firearms in this chambering limited its appeal (tho 40 to 357 conversion barrels abound). 

Fast forward another 40 years - while the 40S&W has found "some" foothold in Law Enforcement (and slowly gotten a lot more lively) - the advent of higher pressure 9mm ammo and advances in bullet expansion design have allowed the much more common 9mm round to continue its reign.

The genesis of the 40 S&W and 357 Sig - the 10mm continues on as a legit semi auto chambering capable of hunting or self defense most commonly in 1911 platform pistols.

But as with most high recoiling rounds - the 10mm (without a low recoiling option or substitute) is hampered from widespread adoption by the significant percentage of the population with recoil sensitivity.

Hmmm Larsen, hadn't thought about the one at the end of the barrel.  Had one of them in our store about 2 years ago.  Had some folks who liked 10mm guns, especially the S&W 610 DA revolver which was quite expensive and hard to find, but did not like all the holes in the barrel.  Took a while to sell it.  Eventually a customer, who also was a gunsmith, bought it and said he was going to cut the barrel back behind the holes and put on a new front sight.  Unfortunately, never heard back from him on how it worked out.

Archived