SASS Wire Forum

Ruger old vaquero

I’m having a problem with one of my old Ruger Vaquero’s

When I pull the trigger the hammer does not fall all the way forward there is about an 1/8” gap once I release the trigger it falls all the way forward. At first a thought it was the transfer bar, but it seems fine. I have taken the gun apart several times but can not find the problem. I will also try to attach a video I hope someone can tell me what the problem is.

Thanks Lefty

I had a Vaquero that did something like that. It turned out to be the hammer spring had lost it’s tension and gotten weak. I don’t remember the brand, it wasn’t Wolff, but the ones that were green, flat wire springs. You might try switching the hammer spring from the good gun to that one and see if it helps. Good luck!

Check the plunger at the end of the cylinder pin, people don't oil them, and they can freeze up? In your video when you were cocking the one with the problem, it look like the transfer bar caught on the bottom of the firing pin? and if that plunger is hanging up it would not push the transfer bar back where it needs to be!

1 hour ago, Lefty Dutchman, SASS #41480 said:

No I have never replaced the transfer bar, the gun was in my safe. The last time used it about 5 years ago it was working fine.

could have a bit of rust built up

as mentioned above make sure the plunger and spring on bottom of hammer are free to move in and out

The easiest solution would be to have someone that is familiar with Ruger revolvers take a look at it.  It would probably be a ten second diagnosis.  Doing it on the wire and playing 20 questions takes longer and often does not yield positive results.  I will take a stab at it.

1. You said the last time you used it was five years ago.  Did you take it apart or do any maintenance before putting it in the safe?

2.  Does the hammer rebound after falling or does it never reach the primer?  (If you put a sized primed case in the cylinder does the primer go off?)

3.  Make 100% sure the hammer plunger and base pin plunger are not frozen, bent or sticking.  Make 100% sure the pawl spring is not bent or crushed by the gripframe and make 100% sure the bolt pluger is on the bolt and has not slipped off while reattaching the gripframe.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.ecbeccfd7ab534675844dc749e78a1e4.jpeg

4.  Cock the hammer and pull the trigger then, without releasing the trigger, push forward on the hammer.  Does it move forward?

5.  Cock the hammer and pull the trigger and push forward on the hammer spur THEN release the trigger.  Does the hammer move forward or does it trap movement of the tirgger?  Slowly release pressure on the hammer.  Does the trigger drop down?

6.  Cock the hammer, pull the trigger and while still holding the trigger will the hammer cock?  If so SLOWLY pull the hammer back and shine a light into the gap as the hammer comes back to see what it is hitting.

@Lefty Dutchman, SASS #41480 Check the cylinder pin and make sure it is not pushed in too far.  I did that once after removing the cylinder to clean and found it will block the hammer from falling and acts like a safety.

On 4/20/2023 at 5:23 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

@Lefty Dutchman, SASS #41480 Check the cylinder pin and make sure it is not pushed in too far.  I did that once after removing the cylinder to clean and found it will block the hammer from falling and acts like a safety.

That wasn’t a OMV. The original Vaquero base pin has a collar. You can’t push it in too far. 

E993F708-F06A-46BD-96C6-77F65F98597C.jpeg

38 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

That wasn’t a OMV. The original Vaquero base pin has a collar. You can’t push it in too far. 

E993F708-F06A-46BD-96C6-77F65F98597C.jpeg

OOPs your right, had to have been another pair of revovers I was using in that match. :ph34r:

On 4/18/2023 at 6:46 PM, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

I bet the hammer spring went bad from sitting. That’s what happened to mine. 

Coil springs "go bad" from sitting??

14 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Coil springs "go bad" from sitting??

We’ll, maybe not from sitting, but I had some that lost their tension somehow.  I hadn’t shot the particular pistols for a while. When I next used them in a match, the hammer would not fully fall like Lefty Dutchman described. New springs cured it. 

Archived