SASS Wire Forum

Quick question about gun carts..

Six-String Cowboy

On 4/19/2023 at 7:31 AM, Mister Badly said:

Not this fan wagon. Most popular cart on hot summer match days. 

PXL_20201203_004817343.jpg

I bet it's max speed is pretty fast with a 3-speed prop. 

I feel like I kind of agree with Dusty. I'm currently planning to orient my long guns in such a way that no matter the cart position the muzzles stay pointed away from everyone, including myself. Something about staring down the barrel of a gun, even one I know for sure is unloaded, gives me that nervous feeling. That's probably a good thing though since it keeps me careful.

40 minutes ago, Smokey Chuck Wagner said:

I feel like I kind of agree with Dusty. I'm currently planning to orient my long guns in such a way that no matter the cart position the muzzles stay pointed away from everyone, including myself. Something about staring down the barrel of a gun, even one I know for sure is unloaded, gives me that nervous feeling. That's probably a good thing though since it keeps me careful.

If "staring" down the barrel of an open and empty gun, untouched in a gun cart is going to give you trepidation...you are going to be mighty uncomfortable at most SASS matches. 

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But pointing directly at your head or chest while pushing the cart isn't exactly a "safe direction". 

I figure, if you put the gun cradle on a weighted gimbal, the muzzles will always be pointed straight up no matter how the cart is tilted. Aye

So, should all gun carts be fashioned with the long guns muzzle down?

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I bet it's max speed is pretty fast with a 3-speed prop. 

I'm thinking about building my next one out of aluminium shaped like an airboat. Then the big fan would be pointed at me. 

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

If "staring" down the barrel of an open and empty gun, untouched in a gun cart is going to give you trepidation...you are going to be mighty uncomfortable at most SASS matches. 

I don't mind feeling a little discomfort if it keeps myself careful and others safe, to be honest. I've been swept and flagged at ranges, competitions, gun stores, backyards, and etc too many times, sometimes with firearms I myself knew were both loaded and loaded. I can't control others but I can at least control myself. Since the guns on my cart are not going to have my eyes on them 24/7, I'll treat them as loaded and keep them pointed away from harm just in case. No harm in that.

2 minutes ago, Smokey Chuck Wagner said:

I don't mind feeling a little discomfort if it keeps myself careful and others safe, to be honest. I've been swept and flagged at ranges, competitions, gun stores, backyards, and etc too many times, sometimes with firearms I myself knew were both loaded and loaded. I can't control others but I can at least control myself. Since the guns on my cart are not going to have my eyes on them 24/7, I'll treat them as loaded and keep them pointed away from harm just in case. No harm in that.

Just to be clear, I take firearms safety VERY SERIOUSLY. I do not tolerate unsafe firearm handling one bit. I've had the same thing happen at all of the places that you list, especially gun stores. Isn't fun, pisses you off, but it does happen. That's one of the inherent risks of having more than one person present with a firearm. 

As far as my post on this thread goes, my point is...

At every outdoor range that I've ever been to, when you swap out/patch your target during the "cold range" period, you walk down to the target (and back) in front of yours and everyone else's firearm(s) which are pointed muzzle downrange. Besides casing them up, there's not much of another way to do it. 

In the last 25+ years that I've been shooting SASS/CAS, I've never seen a cart that has long guns positioned where you can't see the hole in the end of the muzzle unless there was a dust cover on it. I don't consider seeing the muzzle of a gun sitting in a cart as "staring down the barrel". I just see it as a gun sitting safely stored muzzle up. Nothing more, nothing less. All guns transported in a gun cart, or the like, should be open and empty as per SASS and most range rules.

As far as having your eyes on your guns 24/7...ain't gonna happen unless one sits on a stool staring at their gun cart instead of helping out with posse tasks. 

And you're right, all guns should be treated like they are loaded. Gun safety is EVERYONE'S responsibility.

Welcome to the game and have fun!

Archived