SASS Wire Forum

Can someone explain “outlaw” and “Renegade

Irish Pat

Outlaw is basically shooting from the hip.  Josey Wales is using two more handguns in place of the rifle.  Never heard of Renegade except the old Fernando Lamas TV show.

91IQdcfnLoL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.6662344ccdc99ea310414f17e5ca1d11.jpg

42 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

I am not familiar with these new catagories. What are these two?  Irish ☘️ Pat

Might get more responses if this was posted over on The Wire.

Check this out. Pretty much the accepted definition and basic rules.

https://outlawshooters.com/outlaw-rules/

Lots of fun!  Lots of information on this site!

Blackwater covered Outlaw. The rules are pretty consistent across clubs.

In North Texas Renegade requires the shooter to use three different shooting styles with their pistols.  In a six stage match the shooter has to shoot 2 stages using a two handed grip. Two stages Duelist style and Two stages Gunfighter. Duelist can be shot either using the strong hand only or double Duelist. Gun Fighter must be shoot with both pistols out of leather.

The MD determines which stages will be shot in which style. The shooter must shoot their pistols in the required style.

I was first exposed to it at monthly matches as a fun way to nudge new shooters out of their comfort zone and try new things. I discovered that if I shot Dullest vice two handed that even though my raw stage times went up my total stage time went down as I had fewer misses. I also discovered that while I was slow I could shoot Gunfighter. 

When it was first done it was a lot of fun watching long time Duelists using both hands. All of us got a lot of laughs shooting Gunfighter.

Archived