SASS Wire Forum

When a Swift Driver Becomes a Ships Captain

Subdeacon Joe

I firmly believe that there are some instances that some people deserve a good ass-whoopin’. This would be one of them. 

The Captain should be shown on TV in cuffs with at least one black eye, a swelled nose and a busted lip favoring some obviously sore ribs and walking slightly hunched over. 

On the bright side, that dipstick wouldn’t be so easily recognizable later on when he heals up so folks won’t see him and hold it against him later. It would be a kind of public service for morons.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Boy, that pic brings back, not so good, memories from 40+ years ago.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/2020/05/06/the-sunshine-skyway-bridge-plunged-into-tampa-bay-40-years-ago/

I went over that bridge about six hours before it was struck, traveling from Palm Harbor to Pine Island. Didn't like it before that, and I've liked it even less since...

Just now, Noah Mercy, SASS #29066 said:

I went over that bridge about six hours before it was struck, traveling from Palm Harbor to Pine Island. Didn't like it before that, and I've liked it even less since...

I was working in Tierre Verde that morning with two coworkers wiring a house (there was actually still land to build on then. We had started early so we could get off early. We had just got to the job because we were delayed by a blinding rain storm and were still sitting in the work van when the radio said that the Skyway had been knocked down. We couldn't believe it so we left the job and went to a vantage point to see it for ourselves. The rain had cleared up for the most part by then and we could see the southbound span was gone and the ship sitting there but making out details from that far away was not possible and we didn't have any binoculars. Even though we could plainly see it enormity of the disaster, it was surreal and hard to believe our eyes.

Back then, there were no cell phones or instant everything like there is now so all we had was the radio to listen to until we got off of work and were able to see the news on tv. I couldn't believe that somebody had stopped just feet before going off the bridge and that someone else had survived the fall with somewhat minor injuries.

I still don't like going over the new bridge (not so new anymore) because of all of the occurrences at the bridge location...Coast Guard buoy tender Blackthorn sinking, the collapse and the numerous suicide jumpers. They've recently erected a fence to prevent jumpers and I guess it has helped that problem. They close it completely when it's too windy or foggy also.

19 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I firmly believe that there are some instances that some people deserve a good ass-whoopin’. This would be one of them. 

The Captain should be shown on TV in cuffs with at least one black eye, a swelled nose and a busted lip favoring some obviously sore ribs and walking slightly hunched over. 

On the bright side, that dipstick wouldn’t be so easily recognizable later on when he heals up so folks won’t see him and hold it against him later. It would be a kind of public service for morons.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Settlement made in Eggners Ferry Bridge lawsuit

Decades ago I was working late at night at a Terminal. We were unloading a shipment of Bunker oil. About 1AM a ship was coming down the river, a 850' long Russian flying flag tanker which was coming close to our moored tanker. I called the ship and told them to halt transfer immediately, which they complied. The Russian Tanker came so close that its wake sucked our Tanker away from the dock and stretched our connection. We immediately called the field to shut all valves as we ran out to do same and have the ship shut theirs.  Several mooring lines parted and our line broke but luckily the end stayed ashore and we only had Bunker fuel spill in a retaining pond.

Coast Guard investigation write up showed that the Russian Tanker Captain was tired of waiting for the Pilot and against regulations, took it upon himself to navigate out. They were stopped before entering the ocean and clearing the Harbor.

Archived