SASS Wire Forum

Pocket guns

DeaconKC

Well, yesterday a little [and I mean LITTLE] gun came into the shop, a Keltec P3AT. I bought it, just to have as a new "always" gun. You don't often see them used, as most owners hang onto them. Anyway, it's a perfect fit in the pocket.

What's your preferred "always" gun.

If I'm going out of the house, I have a gun and pocket knife on me.  Don't matter if it's just to let the dogs out of for a multi day trip.

If it's just to the mailbox or around the yard, it's most likely gonna be my Beretta Tomcat.  My JIT Slide OWB holster from Don Hume does a fair job at doubling as a pocket holster.

I have the keltec .32, watch when you take that gun apart, the .380 has one part that will fall out with out you noticing it. I bought one that would not work right, Buddy told me about that part could fall out. He came over took his apart sure enough mine was missing. Called keltec they sent me one free. Never liked it as much as the .32. Now I use a S&W bodyguard .380.

I had the Kel Tec .380 I absolutely hated shooting that gun. I carry  a 5 shot .38S&W model 637 

5921F099-A97C-4228-A830-9CC30B3751F3.jpeg

Benchmade folder - always (front pocket clipped)

Ruger LCP 380acp - always (carry IWB on a belt clip)

Warm weather

Smith Equalizer 9mm with red dot - when possible (Crossbreed Kydex on belt - or IWB)

Smith 340PD 357mag - when possible  (pocket carry or leather on belt)

Cooler weather

Smith 66 357mag (3 inch round butt with fiber optics) - when possible  (leather on belt)

Springfield Armory 1911 45acp - when possible (Kydex on belt or IWB)

Springfield Armory XD45 45acp - when possible (Kydex on belt - little too bulky for IWB)

I just realized, excepting the Ruger, all my semi auto carry guns have grip safeties.

16 hours ago, Alpo said:

That looks more like a 637. There certainly appears to be a hammer on that.

Sure nuff does. Looks like my 637 above a few comments.

Kahr P380, it kicks LESS than the Kel Tec P32 that it replaced.  It's almost the same size, has much better sights and it much more accurate.

Tried pocket guns... not for me. Make mine a full sized auto or revolver, please. No, not an X frame Smith or a 7" barrel, just something practical. 

When I was recovering from hernia repair surgery and wanted to carry I discovered a shoulder rig was a plenty good way to carry anything... in the right weather conditions.  Even w/o "needing" to use a shoulder rig anymore it's always an option.

I've also discovered a 5" 1911 can easily be carried IWB all year long.

Just now, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

If I carry- Glock 48, but I’m liking the 44 special gp100 more and more

That GP100 is a great option. 44 Special is hard to beat.

Ruger LCR 38 Special with 135 grain Short Barrel Gold Dots loaded to +P velocity. Almost exactly 1 pound loaded and nothing protruding to catch. I normally carry much heavier-duty ordnance, but this is the one I grab when I'm just going to check the mail or do yard work.

10 hours ago, Noah Mercy, SASS #29066 said:

Ruger LCR 38 Special with 135 grain Short Barrel Gold Dots loaded to +P velocity. Almost exactly 1 pound loaded and nothing protruding to catch. I normally carry much heavier-duty ordnance, but this is the one I grab when I'm just going to check the mail or do yard work.

The Lcr is a good pocket gun

A few years back when I lived in Oregon I had a Kel Tec P3AT. What a pleasure to carry and what a PITF (pain in the finger) to shoot! :lol:
First off, the recoil from that little monster with SD or even range ammo was quite impressive. Second, every time I pulled the trigger on that gun it bit my trigger finger. Somehow the trigger tip or point bit the lower portion of the tip of my finger then at the apex of recoil my finger smacked into the frame inside the trigger guard. No matter what I tried this occurred. I sold it. 

What I pocket carry now is my S&W 442. Sometimes it rides an ankle holster. Sometimes a front pocket or jacket pocket. It all depends on what I am wearing. Same goes for how I carry extra ammo. Speedloaders - jacket pocket. Speed Strips - pants cargo pocket. 

image.thumb.jpeg.df9f3a4646a633c3dc32b2a0fce7dafc.jpeg

I am seriously considering buying another pocket .380. 

I was thinking maybe a S&W M&P Bodyguard.380 or a Ruger LCP Max. 
SIZE COMPARISON 

IMG_4792.thumb.png.ff4fdee397c377d0b72030f2855f24ec.png

FROM HERE: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/smith-wesson-model-442-vs-smith-wesson-m-p-bodyguard-380-vs-ruger-lcp-max

Most often a Commander sized 1911.  Sometimes, a pair of little ones, specifically my LCP+ 380 and my S&W 642.  LCP+ in a pocket holster, 642 on my ankle.  

I do have a Ruger LC9 that I carry some.  It was my brothers before he passed.  I can wear it under a tee shirt in a Mitch Rosen belt holster.  Holds 9 rounds of 9mm.  

LC9.jpg

Archived