SASS Wire Forum

Some C&B fun today

Major Crimes

Yeah! I shoot .454 because they always seal in the cylinder without having to grease the front of the chamber.  It works perfectly and using a lubed fiber wad keeps your loading routine neat and clean and also supplies enough lube to keep fouling soft and easy to clean!!

My 1860s shoot more accurately with .454s.

8 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Cool MC....454 ball ?

PM yes, they are .44 cal 1851's (yep one of those fantasy guns that may not have really existed).

I get a good seal and lead ring every time.

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

using a lubed fiber wad keeps your loading routine neat and clean and also supplies enough lube to keep fouling soft and easy to clean!!

I get thru 6 stages without having to clean the barrel. All I do is wipe down the cylinder face and forcing cone before reloading.

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

I get thru 6 stages without having to clean the barrel. All I do is wipe down the cylinder face and forcing cone before reloading.

I was vending at the US Open, a few years back and because of my travel schedule, I had to shoot the entire match in one day.

I shot ten stages and only wiped down the cylinder faces a couple of times and squirted a shot of Balistol on the arbours after the seventh stage.  I only had one miss for the match and I pulled the barrels off the one time when I lubed the arbours!  

Those lubed fiber wads offer PLENTY of lube to keep everything working smoothly and keep fouling soft and keep it to a minimum.

Archived