SASS Wire Forum

Some of Tom Selleck's personal guns up for auction.

I can see the Winchester having a factory letter. I can see the Colt having a factory letter.

This is the first time I ever heard of Marlin doing factory letters. I've known of Colt and Winchester and Smith and Wesson for easily 20 years, maybe more, but never heard of Marlin doing it. Huh.

Howdy ALPO.

I've got a Marlin factory letter on the 1894.   Apparently, they only made 1051 of them in .44 mag and 1051 in .45 Colt.

What made them special is that they are 'rifle configuration' (no barrel band) but they are only 16.5"  round barrels.

Mine is in .45 Colt.

..........Widder

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I can see the Winchester having a factory letter. I can see the Colt having a factory letter.

This is the first time I ever heard of Marlin doing factory letters. I've known of Colt and Winchester and Smith and Wesson for easily 20 years, maybe more, but never heard of Marlin doing it. Huh.

I have a friend with several lettered Marlins.  They typically don't have the detail that Winchester or Colt do.

I'd be lusting after the Woodsman would for sure....  :blush:

And YES I'd shoot it!!  :D

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'd be lusting after the Woodsman would for sure....  :blush:

And YES I'd shoot it!!  :D

......... and pretend I was Thomas  Magnum dispatching bad guys ..........  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... and pretend I was Thomas  Magnum dispatching bad guys ..........  :ph34r:

Naw... you'd wanna buy the 1911 for that.   ^_^

11 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Tom Selleck RIA auction

I want the Commander.  Y'all can argue over the rest.  

Gee. Thanks Mark....You just hadda do it. Now I gots me another YT Channel that'll pop up with some tempting treats just when I think I've got the monthly budget under control....:blink:

Back oh, 1990-something, I was doing extraditions (among other related things, LOL) and one of our "routine" trips was to the LA area. Oh. King's was a regular stop as were several others that had interesting and collectible guns, one of which was Art's Guns in Northridge. Yeah. They always seemed to be  on the way from/to the airport from whatever jail we were picking up from.

So I walked into Art's one day and spied a "Quigley" rifle. "Is that what I think it is?" Yep. but it was one of the spares, not "the" rifle. Pretty nice shape and a fair price which while steep, I could have made do and I should have. But I've struggled with my addiction my entire life and at the time, I was happy/sad to have passed that one up. But regretted it later.

Sigh.

What caught my attention was the serial number on the Commander. "Magnum-4".  And the fact it's 4th of a 4 gun set, with the other 3 having been donated to the National Firearms Museum.  

I think if I was lusting after one of Tom selleck's guns, it would be the Commander-size Smith and Wesson 1911 with the stag grips that he carried as AJ Cooper in the TV show Las Vegas. I believe he carried the same gun as Jesse Stone, but it had wood grips.

Just curious, but what do you think some of those firearms are worth..... OR what do you think

they will bring at the auction?

I figured something like that Commander will bring about 3 or 4 times its value.

The Colt Woodsman....... who knows.   Thats a pretty rare piece also.

..........Widder

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

The Cody Firearms Museum has the older records of Winchester, Marlin, Savage, and Lefever.  Maybe some others.

I watched an 1894 38-40 be cut to pieces with a plasma torch. Our foolish administration refused to even let it be sold for parts.

Departments auction seized guns all the time. You want to chop Lorcins and Jennings knock yourself out. But to destroy valuable antiques is ridiculous. 
The stupid reason I was given. What if someone bought it and used it in a crime? How would that look if a police department sold them the gun. 
So chop all the seized vehicles too. My logic fell on deaf ears.

Archived