SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Boogie short stroke kit question

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

Has anyone installed the Shotgun Boogie short stroke kit on a Uberti 73?It states the bolt needs modification to work with the kit. It looks like the sides of the bolt face need some filing. Also, is it a good kit? Any advise is much appreciated!

At this point in time I think there are only three people making short stroke "kits."  Pionneer, Cowboys & Indians and Shotgun Boogie.  They all require some fitting to make them work correctly.  The short stroke means the parts are moving quicker so certain clearances have to be added to make sure the parts do not collide.  On the top is a Boogie bolt that is already modified.  On the bottom is a stock bolt.  Look at the areas the arrows are pointing to.  That is where the clearance has to be added.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.a821831305e616f1dc7019679a221e3b.jpeg

This is to make sure the quicker moving parts do not hit the recess cut in the front of the carrier.  In this photo this is an aftermarket aluminum carrier that has this recess deepened.  (I.e., the shoulder below the arrow has been moved rearward.)

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.d6ad1265c00e7bc7050751d671a69050.jpeg

Pioneer has a video on how to clearance a stock carrier.

PLUS ONE for Larsen E. Pettifogger absolutely.  If clearance is not added to either the Bolt or the Carrier Block, the rifle will jam.  Must be done mod.

The Shotgun Boogie kit is also SUPER TRIX and super well made.  All the timing and slam down adjustments are made with allen key set screws.  No glorious filing and fitting.  It is also worth picking up Boogie's 1866 style Ladle.  Works a treat as well.

Dunno about that Smokestack.  Uberti rifle builders have only been modifying Carrier Blocks for about 25 Years.  After-Market Carrier Blocks from the SS Kit manufacturers are also made with the clearance for the bolt provided.

Modifying the cheapest and easiest replaced part is probably the best method for the nimrod gunsmith.  Ergo... the carrier.  

Like Coffinmaker,  I agree, it is easier, cheaper and more very long standing SOP to trim the carrier,

A lot faster, easier  and way less frustrating to fit and time.

Ol'  #4

If your goal in tuning a rifle is to creat a smoother, more reliable gun that feeds better, (and this should be the goal) then the bolt is the part that you want to modify. If your goal is to as cheaply and easily as possible, keep the parts from banging together, by all means, hack away at the critical dimensions of the carrier that affect feeding. 

And just because something has been done wrong for 25 years, isn’t a good justification for continuing the practice IMO. 

I'm trying to visualize exactly how adding the clearance to the Carrier Block affects feeding.  It's really no easier to add clearance to the Carrier Block than to add Clearance to the Breach Block.  And frankly, Modding the Carrier Block sets up a rifle that is every bit as smooth, Feeds the same and is just as reliable as modding the Breach Block.

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I'm trying to visualize exactly how adding the clearance to the Carrier Block affects feeding.  It's really no easier to add clearance to the Carrier Block than to add Clearance to the Breach Block.  And frankly, Modding the Carrier Block sets up a rifle that is every bit as smooth, Feeds the same and is just as reliable as modding the Breach Block.

The carrier performs functions beyond just lifting and supporting the round while it’s fed into the chamber. When run quickly the carrier also must stop the round from flying out the top of the gun, and when ran fast it the round will be in contact more with the upper surfaces within the carrier than it will with the lower ones as it’s being pushed forward. When those corners are taken away, the round will have a tendency to tilt nose-up and hit the top of the chamber while feeding. This hiccup can be difficult to find and or diagnose as it happens and then corrects itself fairly quickly. 

A lot of store bought aluminum carriers out there. They are already clearanced for the different carrier timing. I like to check the interference and then mill a little off of both parts. Then mill the carrier on all of mine.

OOOH, BOY,  another Ford/ Chevy:  Ginger or MaryAnn discussion....

Ol'  #4

On 4/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Interesting.  I built competition Toggle Link rifles for 25 years.  Never ran into that problem.  Never met anyone who had that problem.  For me, a Non-Issue.

For me as well.  I have done short stroke work on (5) 73s & (1) 66 using kits from (2) different suppliers - never had to modify a bolt or a carrier.  I did have to bend a lever once but that is another story!

Holler

I would venture to say Smokestack knows the ideal method to make a rifle run at speed consistently.  Looking at the 73's in my safe, all seem to have a different method.  My Boogie rifle probably has the least amount of carrier modification of the ones I own.

Totes

Gunfighter Industries on Instagram is going to have bolt mod service where you can send it in and also coming out with a new design short stroke kit apparently

They have a pretty impressive shop, saw pictures of their machines making barrels. I follow their page pretty closely. Interesting stuff

On 4/22/2023 at 5:27 PM, Oregon Ace said:

Gunfighter Industries on Instagram is going to have bolt mod service where you can send it in and also coming out with a new design short stroke kit apparently

They have a pretty impressive shop, saw pictures of their machines making barrels. I follow their page pretty closely. Interesting stuff

What page are you following for them? I would like to check it out.

Stan

On 4/22/2023 at 4:27 PM, Oregon Ace said:

Either my google-foo is broken or Gunfighter Industries doesn't exist on Instagram or Facebook or...?  It is customary to provide links when you reference something.  Post something verifiable.

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

https://gunfightersinc.com/   Many conservatives and gun people never use Instagram or Facebook.

Yep, found them... holsters... nothing about what's being claimed in previous posts.  

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yep, found them... holsters... nothing about what's being claimed in previous posts.  

Sorry, got the wrong link. I saw a site on another forum, will see if I can find it again.  What I saw appeared genuine, but who knows.

Archived